It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRAQ - RPG 27 & 29 - the RPG-7's big brother

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
New Russian weapons are showing up in Iraq, apparently smuggled across the Syrian border. One of the more dangerous has been the RPG-29. This is a larger version of the widely used RPG-7. With a ten pound launcher firing a 14.7 pound 105mm rocket, the RPG-29 warhead is designed to get past some forms of reactive armor (ERA). The larger weapon (3.3 feet long when carried out, six feet long when ready to fire and 65 percent heavier than the 85mm RPG-7) is more difficult to carry around and fire, but some have been captured, and the damage on some American armored vehicles indicate they were hit by an RPG-29 rocket. The RPG-29 has an effective range of 500 meters. The warhead can also penetrate five feet of reinforced concrete.
RPG 29

There is also a one shot version, the RPG-27, which weighs 17 pounds and has an effective range of 200 meters. Some of these have been found in Iraq as well. The RPG-29 and 27 are considered the "third generation" of the RPG family. The "second generation" was a failure, which the cheaper, and nearly as capable, RPG-7.

RPG 27

Both RPG-29s and 27s were developed and entered production just before the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991. They are available through legitimate, or black market, arms dealers and are more expensive than the RPG-7 (which is manufactured by many countries.) RPG-29 launchers cost over $500 each, and the rockets for about $300 each. The RPG-27s cost over $500 each. It�s known that many of Saddam�s higher ranking supporters escaped to Syria with a lot of cash. Apparently some of it is being spent on RPG-27s and 29s.

www.strategypage.com...

www.roe.ru...

This could give the US much trouble if they are used in greater numbers.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
RPG-29 would destroy anything short of an abrams with ease.... so either US is lying about losses or, more likely, there arent any in iraq!

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bisonn
RPG-29 would destroy anything short of an abrams with ease.... so either US is lying about losses or, more likely, there arent any in iraq!

I don't know, something put a hole through this tank.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
If RPG-27/29 are in IRaqi they will soon show themselves as they are quite destinctly different from basic RPG-7...which are 73mm not 85mm [unless they come from china in which case they are not RPG-7s
].

Also no side hull armor on any tank can withstand these rounds, they are supposed to penetrate 750mm after clearing out ERA with a tandem charge.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by psteel]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Isn't the Russian NH-75 still used by anyone? It's a Anti-Tank launcher, i don't know much about it but it's the main one in the 'Operation Flashpoint' game, which is meant to be a military simulator.

www.planetbattlefield.com...

[edit on 28/8/04 by Flyboy211]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Wow that RPG-29 makes the RPG-7 seem like a pee shooter. I cant believe these things cost $500 and $300 bucks. Whats a RPG-7 cost like $25 bucks.

Are they both line of site weapons like the RPG-7?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
the new RPG's are extremely effective weapons that haven't gotten as much press as their famous predecessor due to the fact that there are so much more of the 7's out there on the market and they are as cheap as chips.

I would be extremely interested to see how the insurgents use it in Iraq.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Being as the RPG-29 can penetrate 600mm of RHA, it can definitely pop the side and rear armor of any tank.

There have been tank losses in Iraq to RPGs fired into the engine deck, starting a fire. I believe one even penetrated the side skirt of an Abrams.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Erm, that hole is rather small for being from an anti tank rocket. More likely its from a special kind of armour piercing bullet.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

Originally posted by mad scientist

Erm, that hole is rather small for being from an anti tank rocket. More likely its from a special kind of armour piercing bullet.

No, the jet from a HEAT warhead is small. The point is the focus the explosion into a tiny space, if it were any bigger it wouldn't penetrate as much armor.

Plus, there isn't any bullet that small that can pierce the Abrams armor.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kozzy

No, the jet from a HEAT warhead is small. The point is the focus the explosion into a tiny space, if it were any bigger it wouldn't penetrate as much armor.

Plus, there isn't any bullet that small that can pierce the Abrams armor.

This is correct. Jets from HEAT war heads are exceedingly small in diameter...on the order of 1/10th of the warhead diameter so yes the penetration channel they generate would be very narrow indeed.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by psteel]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The side skirts are supposed to take the brunt of the HEAT blast.It does not matter if it is holed or not.But to put thick side plates on a tank like the centurion created a weight and maintenance problem. But oh yes,much more protection.
Those new RPG's do not look all that primitive anymore.In fact the big one there resembles the WW2 german Panzerschreck,only in this case,an even larger diameter warhead.It even has a probe.Could it be a secondary charge for reactive armour?
A 14.5 pound warhead? That is like carrying an artilly piece now!

[edit on 29-8-2004 by stgeorge]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The new RPG warhead has a 105mm dual charge HEAT warhead that gets 600+mm of penetration.

It's pretty #ing lethal

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
very respectful of Russian equipment lately,you Yanks!

That is because the Russians put their brightest men on these defense projects with no profit motive.
You ,on the other hand,employ these flunkies,salesmen,and even I would call them con men.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It gets 750mm penetration, not 600mm

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stgeorge

That is because the Russians put their brightest men on these defense projects with no profit motive.
You ,on the other hand,employ these flunkies,salesmen,and even I would call them con men.

StGeorge, your comment is uncalled for and out of line, IMHO

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stgeorge

What a load of BS, do you just sit around making this crap up ?!. I've noticed you talk just as much BS on other threads. Post something informative you ignoramous.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
RPG27 looking very much light LAW

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
You mention these weapons can be purchased legally? How? I know American Laws prohibit the purchase of weapons from specific companies, What company produces the RPG-27/29? What source did you use to discover these weapons?

new topics

top topics

join