It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

A Personal Paranormal Experience: Looking for Insight

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hello all!

I've been tossing the idea around of posting this, because you folks on this forum seem pretty nice and I was hoping to get some insight. Let me start out by saying that I don't think I am an overly "sensitive" person, but I do have my ear to the ground, as it were.

As for my experience:
When I was in Middle School (I am now in my 20's) I had a rather small-ish bedroom. It was night, and I had already been asleep. The odd thing about that night was for some reason I decided to sleep with my head at the opposite end of the bed I normally did. (I had no head board). This room of mine had a window that looked out on the front yard, and the street as well (I lived in a rural area). At night, even with mostly closed blinds, when a car would go down the street, the lights would move across the far wall and disappear after the car had gone by. Keep this little point in mind. Now, back to my story: I'm not sure what time this happened, but I woke up. Not sure why, or how, or what, if something made me wake up. But wake up I did and when I did there wassomething in my room. If I had to guess, I would say it was no taller than me (5'4''), and if it was, only by a little bit. It's "form" was insubstantial, and i'd say it had a soft "glow" of sorts. (enough so that i could see it in my (mostly) dark room. The shape was also humanoid, I believe. There was light on the far wall from my window and the was the first thing I checked/looked for. I was or had just awoken, but I had the mind to look and see if I was "just seeing things".

Now, here's the kicker. i was tired, and I wanted to go back to sleep, but I was some what scared. I figured, this can't be right... and so I closed my eyes, hoping it would "go away" or just "not be there" when I opened again. Well, you guessed it (or maybe you didn't, I don't know...
) it did not go away. I stared at this...this...form, this thing until sleep reclaimed me. I want to add that I was only "scared" in the sense that I didn't know what I was looking at, what I was experiencing...not because I could sense that it had any mal-intent. (Maybe I wouldn't notice if it did?)

Well there you go! Hope this is in the right forum...? Maybe Gray Area would have been better, I'm not sure. Anyhow, I look forward to your input.

Take care.




posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It could be a number of things as I had a similar experience when I was much younger than you.

One main question from me is was there a smell present at the time?



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500
 



There was not a smell that I could recall. I remember a lot of details about that night very vividly, but none of them included smells...would that have indicated something? I am not new to paranormal studies, and I have heard of people "smelling" things when having an "experience" but usually that is indicative of a certain person. (Roses remind you of grandma, etc...)



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I related a similar experience in another thread. There are those here who will be able to help you with this.

The horse in your avatar so reminds me of my Nimue. She's 12 now, and we adopted her from the Bureau of Land Management. We've had her for almost two years. Wonderful animals... BTW, Nimue is a Mustang...
edit on 10/6/2011 by visualmiscreant because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing!

The thing which is most striking to me is that this one night you decided to sleep the other way around, you never did that on another occasion?



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
I related a similar experience in another thread. There are those here who will be able to help you with this.

The horse in your avatar so reminds me of my Nimue. She's 12 now, and we adopted her from the Bureau of Land Management. We've had her for almost two years. Wonderful animals... BTW, Nimue is a Mustang...
edit on 10/6/2011 by visualmiscreant because: (no reason given)


Beautiful name for your companion! My horse is also a mustang, and her Dam/Sire were also adopted through the BLM mustang programs.She's a Blue Roan and her name is Caramelita. Heh, she came "out" brown or a brown-caramel color and now she is closer to grey,
.

I do hope that someone can give some insight about my experience...I can give more details if anyone asks. Also, I am curious, what was your experience like?



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by naghammadi
Thanks for sharing!

The thing which is most striking to me is that this one night you decided to sleep the other way around, you never did that on another occasion?


No Sir/Ma'am! I never had slept that way before and during that time (while I was in that particular bedroom) I only slept that way a few times after that I believe.



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Interesting post, OP! I've had a strange experience recently, too (in my signature), but it doesn't seem to really apply to yours.

My mother has told me stories that, when I was young, I would call out to her in the night. When she came in, I would ask her to tell the old man to stop talking to me so I could sleep.

Maybe it's something that younger minds are more receptive to? And then when we grow up and learn how the world "should" work, we essentially close ourselves off to those types of encounters?



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Here's the quote from the thread:


Many of us have had similar experiences. I too refrain from relating them on ATS because of the fireworks. I will be open with this though; This incident occurred when I was about 16 years old in my family's old home in Miami Florida; probably 1976 or 1977. One night as I was headed to bed, I was walking down the hall to my room which was the first on the left, and I saw a shadow coming at me from the other end of the hall. This shadow walked right through me and my entire body felt like it had been immersed in ice. I, of course was instantly stricken with fear, and so we decided to recreate the situation. We could not reproduce the shadow at the other end of the hall. Anyway, after calming down enough to go to bed, I still couldn't sleep because I truly was troubled. All at once, a glowing white female figure stood beside my bed, and I immediately recognized her as my sister Martha, who had died in 1961 three days after her birth. This "angel" was the approximate age my sister would have been had she lived. I was only one year old when she died and had no natural way to recognize her as my sister. She looked compassionately into my eyes, and said "Everything is fine, brother. Go to sleep." She disappeared as quickly as she had first appeared, and I closed my eyes and went to sleep untroubled.
reply to post by Sundowner
 



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyTots
 

Checked out your signature link. Whoaaaaa!



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyTots
Interesting post, OP! I've had a strange experience recently, too (in my signature), but it doesn't seem to really apply to yours.

My mother has told me stories that, when I was young, I would call out to her in the night. When she came in, I would ask her to tell the old man to stop talking to me so I could sleep.

Maybe it's something that younger minds are more receptive to? And then when we grow up and learn how the world "should" work, we essentially close ourselves off to those types of encounters?



It is funny you should mention this last bit...My mother and I were talking about this the other day. I wholly agree. You are more perceptive to the paranormal or what have you when you are younger because you are not conditioned by society teling you that it's just your imagination, every, single time.



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundowner
 


Yep, it's very curious...

When my sister was young, she had two "imaginary" friends who were nothing but. While "imaginary" friends are common, I believe they are "real" to those open to receive them. They each had intricate backstories, feelings, and motivations.

She was also convinced she remembered having a previous family in Spain. She remembered names and relationships, but not much more.

Of course, now that she's all grown up, she remembers nothing of these stories.



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Interesting.. When I was younger I used to woke up at midnight without any reason and there was always this.. shadow people standing at somewhere in my room. Usually at the foot of the door the wich was right in front of my bed. I used to get this feeling as if it was one of my parents looking at us in a parental lovely way. But as soon as I tried to focus my vision this people vanished as if they were made out of fog...
I never felt any fear or danger with their pressence. I too felt tired as you did and used to get back to sleep.

Then again as you have mentioned there must be something to young minds not being conditioned by the world crappy view..
edit on 6-10-2011 by AEthereal because: No reason



posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AEthereal
 


I recall when I was very young that certain things would happen to me, hearing sounds or seeing things, etc, that i now think were me picking "up" on something that would have been classified paranormal. I'm glad that by reading your response and others, I am not terribly alone in this experience. (Rather it's more common than I thought though still perhaps uncommon to a certain degree.)



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Ahhh yes, what originally turned me on to the paranormal was a dark entity in my room at night. It was more like a dark mass hovering over me...it was a very bad time in my life. I believe I had something dark attached to me at the time but I eventually broke free.

My first experience even before that was my own fault, lets just say I was young and foolish. Never invite the darkness, trust me...you are not prepared.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sundowner
Hello all!

I've been tossing the idea around of posting this, because you folks on this forum seem pretty nice and I was hoping to get some insight. Let me start out by saying that I don't think I am an overly "sensitive" person, but I do have my ear to the ground, as it were.

As for my experience:
When I was in Middle School (I am now in my 20's) I had a rather small-ish bedroom. It was night, and I had already been asleep. The odd thing about that night was for some reason I decided to sleep with my head at the opposite end of the bed I normally did. (I had no head board). This room of mine had a window that looked out on the front yard, and the street as well (I lived in a rural area). At night, even with mostly closed blinds, when a car would go down the street, the lights would move across the far wall and disappear after the car had gone by. Keep this little point in mind. Now, back to my story: I'm not sure what time this happened, but I woke up. Not sure why, or how, or what, if something made me wake up. But wake up I did and when I did there wassomething in my room. If I had to guess, I would say it was no taller than me (5'4''), and if it was, only by a little bit. It's "form" was insubstantial, and i'd say it had a soft "glow" of sorts. (enough so that i could see it in my (mostly) dark room. The shape was also humanoid, I believe. There was light on the far wall from my window and the was the first thing I checked/looked for. I was or had just awoken, but I had the mind to look and see if I was "just seeing things".

Now, here's the kicker. i was tired, and I wanted to go back to sleep, but I was some what scared. I figured, this can't be right... and so I closed my eyes, hoping it would "go away" or just "not be there" when I opened again. Well, you guessed it (or maybe you didn't, I don't know...
) it did not go away. I stared at this...this...form, this thing until sleep reclaimed me. I want to add that I was only "scared" in the sense that I didn't know what I was looking at, what I was experiencing...not because I could sense that it had any mal-intent. (Maybe I wouldn't notice if it did?)

Well there you go! Hope this is in the right forum...? Maybe Gray Area would have been better, I'm not sure. Anyhow, I look forward to your input.

Take care.







I believe you think you saw something. YOur reaction was similar to my 1st encounter with something negative when I was of a similar age. I was in the bed paralyzed by fear. I was to freaked out to try and get around it to leave. My light was too far too reach without exposing myself. I felt safe in the middle of the bed with pillows surrounding me and the covers pulled up to my nose. I closed my eyes as tight as I could hoping it would go away.

I think you believe you saw something supernatural but consider a few things. YOur memory is faulty, it was over a decade ago. Things get fuzzy no matter what. You decided to sleep facing a different direction and you admit that there is substantial light play. So your seeing things from that position for the 1st time. It's dark and you fell asleep quickly without paying significant attention to your surroundings. You awoke to see something about 5 feet tall hidden in the dark, dark itself but rather formless, with a faint glow. When I wake up I see halos around objects until I wash my face and get some saline in my eyes. A coat or a shirt hanging on a high back chair can scare you if you wake up and don't realize its there. On a high back chair it's the right height. Some fabrics glow and are reflective. It was still there when you woke up. And it didn't move. My guess would be an article of clothing draped on something that looked one way in the dark and when you awoke, it was light and you recognized it for what it is and didn't associate it with the spook.

But 10 years removed it's impossible to tell. But if you had no other problems I'd make the assumption that it was a misidentified household item.



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundowner
 

very interesting! did it ever happen to you again? good thing your experience didn't turn out to be a malevolent one. c:



posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975
 


There are some strong events wich remain forever in our memories and as such tend to be little distorted(I'm talking here from my expierence)This I believe is one of those events for Sundowner

If we were to consider the idea of this phenomenom being the consequence of some random house forniture I believe Sundowner would have figured out such a thing the next morning when he/she woke up and so his/her story would not be here.

I remember the last time I saw the shadow poeple, It scared the crap out of me. And that moment I will never forget.



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join