It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reid triggers ‘nuclear option’ to change rules, prohibit filibusters

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by JBA2848
I guess Republicans don't like it when Democrates play the same games they have been playing for two years. Hes just following thier example. They are leading the House and Senate and hes just following thier example.

Wrong.

So stop guessing ...

Never ceases to amaze me how people here just post BS without ever bothering to look up the facts.

Fact: Democrats control the senate. Republicans control the house.

Fact: The Republicans considered using the "nuclear option" back in 2005 to bypass democrat filibusters on appointments, but instead formed a committee known as the "Gang of 14" with democrats and worked out a compromise.

Repeating ... Republicans chose compromise over doing what reid has just done.

source

The Gang of 14 was a term coined to describe the bipartisan group of Senators in the 109th United States Congress who successfully negotiated a compromise in the spring of 2005 to avoid the deployment of the so-called nuclear option over an organized use of the filibuster by Senate Democrats.

edit on 10/7/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

True enough, but that was before the GOP decided to take filibustering to a whole new level. Everything changed when the GOP became the minority party in congress following the 2006 elections. Check out this article, the facts don't lie; tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com...

It's true that there has been a decades-long uptick in the use of cloture filings -- often to overcome filibuster threats -- by whichever party is in the majority, but the best measurement of that trend shows an explosion since Republicans were consigned to minority status after the 2006 election.

I doubt that the democrats would have gone to this extreme if it were not for the fact that they were forced to do so by the new obstructionist republican minority in the senate. I really believe that the GOP, led by Mitch McConnell, brought this on themselves. If left up to him, the only business deserving of any attention by congress is to obstruct any and all Obama/Democratic initiatives in an effort to insure that he, (Obama) is not re-elected. As opposed to creating jobs for millions of americans, he would rather focus all of his attention on removing one american from their job. Go figure.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

the dude stole his election and now the process is a hindrance to pass the trash they want to.

Reid didn't steal his election, Sharron Angle was completely bat [snip] insane and the voters rejected her lunacy. Don't cry over spilled milk.

The GOP has used this many many times in the past. So, no whining about your GOP buddies when they have done the exact same thing. Is it dirty pool? Sure it is. Is it something that both sides have used repeatedly? Yessiree Bob.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Fact: The Republicans considered using the "nuclear option" back in 2005 to bypass democrat filibusters on appointments, but instead formed a committee known as the "Gang of 14" with democrats and worked out a compromise.

Fact: Republicans have used the tactic.

Republican Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (Miss.) used Reid’s nuclear tactic on May 17, 2000, when he overturned a ruling from the chairman to ban non-germane sense-of-the-Senate amendments from being offered to appropriations bills

Fact: What Reid did did not effect Minority power, beyond removing a pure obstructionist tactic of delay.

“Motions to suspend the rules after cloture are not a tactic that is central to minority rights in the Senate. A motion to suspend the rules has not succeeded since 1941, according to the Senate Historian’s office. This is simply a delay tactic the minority has used to derail even bills with broad, bipartisan support,”

I am for it. The tactic the GOP Senators were using in an ever increasing way was absolutely nothing more than a way to turn minutes into days and days into weeks and the country both left and right has had enough of the BS Obstructionist gridlock in DC.

If the GOP takes the Senate in 2012 I hope they keep this rule in effect as well. What was ended was nothing but a way to continue a Filibuster after an already exhausting Filibuster has expired. Delay, Delay, Filibuster, Obstruct, Super Filibuster...enough. How about DC gets something done.

* Both sourced by your OP article on the Hill.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Everyone here should have seen this coming a mile away.. another brick in the wall.

A super committee of 12, secret group of elite deciding who to kill, this move.... and so on.. the man is narrowing who has power.. steering decision making into fewer select hands.

Looks to me like they are very aware the masses are pissed.. imagine handfuls of politicians bucking the party line and aligning with the people?.. politicians who go rogue against power will be isolated to the fringes.. can't have the will of the people actually matter.

Chess move by the oligarchs.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Many disagree about good 'ol Harry in 2010....

Reports of fraud and intimidation have circulated for weeks, with early voters complaining of rigged voting machines throughout Clark County.

[color=;imegreen]Residents of Clark County Nevada have reported that upon attempting to vote for Angle they found that Reid’s name had already been checked. This is not surprising as widespread voting fraud has been reported since the inception of the fraudulent electronic voting machines.

I saw this firsthand .... very misleading and insulting.

Harry Reid Steals Nevada, Wins Amid Widespread Electronic Voter Fraud

It gets better. Now, the right-wing media have gone a step further, tying Ried's son, Rory Reid to the whole non-scandal. See, Rory Reid is the Chairman of the Clark County Commissioners, which Rush Limbaugh claimed meant [color=limegreen]"Harry Reid's son is the person in charge of overseeing the election machines that are being maintained by the SEIU."

Right-wing takes Nevada voting machine non-scandal to new levels of stupidity

They were setting it up weeks before the election.

Just so everyone has both sides in clear perspective !

here's one more article to ponder.
RORY REID(Harry Reid’s Son) Oversees Suspect Election Machines In Nevada

I wonder if any other ballots anywhere were ever "pre-checked" with the favorite name?

edit on Oct-07-2011 by xuenchen because:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Oh, brother! And the sick part is, Harry will muddle along as if this is the way things should be.:shk:

There has never been a more corrupt tag team than Pelosi -- Reid in the US Congress. Add Obama to that toxic mixture, and kiss the Constitution good-bye.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

Oh, brother! And the sick part is, Harry will muddle along as if this is the way things should be.:shk:

There has never been a more corrupt tag team than Pelosi -- Reid in the US Congress. Add Obama to that toxic mixture, and kiss the Constitution good-bye.

Strange also is the way these arrogant politicians reek havoc all over the place,

hurl insults at everybody, take all the money and give it all away,

and then have the nerve to expect a dozen roses in return !!!!

when the roses don't show up, they scream and shout until they're blue in the face.

maybe we should send tulips ?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I am for it. The tactic the GOP Senators were using in an ever increasing way was absolutely nothing more than a way to turn minutes into days and days into weeks and the country both left and right has had enough of the BS Obstructionist gridlock in DC.

If the GOP takes the Senate in 2012 I hope they keep this rule in effect as well. What was ended was nothing but a way to continue a Filibuster after an already exhausting Filibuster has expired. Delay, Delay, Filibuster, Obstruct, Super Filibuster...enough. How about DC gets something done.

Sure. Forget about the fact that Senate rules were written to prevent the majority party having total stomping power over the minority party when it comes to debating legislation. Forget about the fact that these rules were written over months of deliberation and debate with an eye towards maintaining fairness of allowing discussion of laws.

When 2012 elections arrive, and Obama, Reid and Pelosi are thrown out, there will be such a stench of corruption being expelled from Washington that it will be as if a bloated corpse was punctured and the escaping putrid gases flying out. It won't come soon enough.
edit on 8-10-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Strange also is the way these arrogant politicians reek havoc all over the place,

hurl insults at everybody, take all the money and give it all away,

and then have the nerve to expect a dozen roses in return !!!!

when the roses don't show up, they scream and shout until they're blue in the face.

maybe we should send tulips ?

No. I suggest we wait until 2012 and send water lilys instead, since they are the symbol of death

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Agreed,

water lilys it shall be in 2012 !

Which florists should we recommend ?

edit on Oct-08-2011 by xuenchen because:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Yea, same thing happened in 2000 with Bush and Gore. Liberals were told by the Conservative media to shut it and stop crying about it and so I say turnabout is fair play.

Still wouldn't have mattered. Sharron Angle is freaking nuts. We don't need that kind of person in our government, she can take her "2nd Amendment Remedies" and go talk to Gabrielle Giffords about it.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by HauntWok

Yea, same thing happened in 2000 with Bush and Gore. Liberals were told by the Conservative media to shut it and stop crying about it and so I say turnabout is fair play.

Still wouldn't have mattered. Sharron Angle is freaking nuts. We don't need that kind of person in our government, she can take her "2nd Amendment Remedies" and go talk to Gabrielle Giffords about it.

OK

I kinda agree about Sharon Angle.....

But at least maybe she would have been able to stop some of the givaways of our money

I never did know if she could "reid" ?

What do you think about the election being rigged (possibly) ?

Maybe she could have helped stop the health insurance cost surges.

ETA: and how do we explain this..

How Democrats Steal Elections
edit on Oct-08-2011 by xuenchen because:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

OK

But at least maybe she would have been able to stop some of the givaways of our money

I never did know if she could "reid" ?

Maybe she could have helped stop the health insurance cost surges.

At least she wouldn't have been as bad as Reid, and we could have suffered her for years. Cut out the cancer and replace it with a splinter.

Can't explain it -- it's in their genes. But we can stop it with Voter ID cards.
edit on 8-10-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

My post had a typo...

At least she wouldn't have been as bad as Reid, and we could have suffered her for years. Cut out the cancer and replace it with a splinter.

I shoulda said

At least she wouldn't have been as bad as Reid, and we could have suffered her for 5 more years. Cut out the cancer and replace it with a splinter.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

OK

About "Those 2nd Amendment remedies"? I personally don't, but hey, some of us have the intelligence to solve problems without having to resort to violence.

I say that (possibly) is the key word there, and I think that (possibly) is just sour grapes by conservatives that feel cheated they didn't screw with the voting machines themselves. But again, (possibly) being the key word means that it's speculation and not fact.

I explain that as an obviously biased source which doesn't help explain much, but instead just sullies the water with gossip and conjecture.

The GOP are notorious crybabies, and that has become their hallmark for the last two years, crying about everything, least in the House of Representatives, they have the right speaker for the job.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join