It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reid triggers ‘nuclear option’ to change rules, prohibit filibusters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Harry Reid just pulled a power play to gag the Republicans and allow him to ram through practically any legisltion he wants to n the Senate.

In a shocking development Thursday evening, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) triggered a rarely used procedural option informally called the “nuclear option” to change the Senate rules.

The Democratic leader had become fed up with Republican demands for votes on motions to suspend the rules after the Senate had voted to end a filibuster.

Reid said these motions, which do not need unanimous consent, amount to a second-round filibuster after the Senate has voted to move to final passage of a measure

Link.
What a scumbag! Changing the rules to favor his party!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
wish we had a "nuclear option" to get rid of reid the dude stole his election and now the process is a hindrance to pass the trash they want to.

reids mad because people aint going along with taxing people even more to pay for a jobs bill that did i hear say the potus said didnt need paid for?

didnt i hear that?

and by nuclear option i dont mean the bomb change the rules on the people who write the rules and change them whenever they dont benefit them.

cant stand that dude wish to god nevada would fire him.

meh

edit on 6-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I certainly hope the democrats remember each one of these outrages they found perfectly acceptable or even necessary when conservatives once again control both sides of Capital Hill. The pendulum always swings in our nation and the balance will change hands at some point again. They would do well to remember that what they do now will be done TO THEM later.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
What a jackass. Wait until Republicans are in power. This was one thing I liked about McCain... anyone remember when he wouldn't support?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

This should get interesting since many Democratic Senators are on the record now opposing Obama's job plan. Be interesting to see where this leads. Nowhere I bet.

I think all incumbents will be looking for work over the next couple of elections. Great time for new blood to get involved.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
What a jackass. Wait until Republicans are in power. This was one thing I liked about McCain... anyone remember when he wouldn't support?

Not sure it will be much different? Both Parties have acted the same for some time now. They both suck as they are. They are both equally full of crooks and liars. I think most voters are figuring that out.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I guess Republicans don't like it when Democrates play the same games they have been playing for two years. Hes just following thier example. They are leading the House and Senate and hes just following thier example.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Yeah I sort of completely screwed up what I was trying to say.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It is going to get real interesting when the middle gets tired of the right and left wing nut jobs, and actually elects someone that will do the job. Yeah I am here, and yeah I read the drivel, but about 90% of the people on this site are extremists (right or left, it don't matter). The time has come for those of us with some actual common sense to get together, and throw the 15% extremists to both sides in the trash.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The tactics they use in the senate are those of a common preschooler the "nah nah nah" you cant talk because I am gonna keep going is BS.

We should demand more of our elected officials, vote them all out, the entire lot of them, they are so wrapped up in lining their own pockets they forgotten they are there on our dime.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
The tactics they use in the senate are those of a common preschooler the "nah nah nah" you cant talk because I am gonna keep going is BS.

We should demand more of our elected officials, vote them all out, the entire lot of them, they are so wrapped up in lining their own pockets they forgotten they are there on our dime.

I am not sure I disagree with any part of your statement. The fringe gets louder and louder, more divisive, no compromise, and the sad thing is neither side will fly with the American people. The only answer is compromise and the fringe on both sides is too freaking stupid to realize they do not hold the majority.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
i agree. the nuclear option should be used to rid america of the democratic and the republican party.

then the people should outlaw all forms of political parties. then a law should be passed that you must be born in the state you represent. no more arkansans representing new york, hawaiians representing illinois etc.

that way a politician will have to earn the vote of all americans and a candidate will be forced to appease the will of the entire country and not just a few members of his political party base.

edit on 6-10-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

John Mc Cain president of Panama Canal.
Sarah Palin would of had to run in Idaho.
George Bush would have to run in Connectcut.
Ronald Regan would of had to run in Illinois.
Works for me.
edit on 6-10-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Not sure I would disagree with you, but with most not living in all 50 states, who will we find to run for President?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

I guess we would have to vote in those illegal aliens who move from town to town to do the jobs no one wants to do. Vote for Pedro.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by BubbaJoe

I guess we would have to vote in those illegal aliens who move from town to town to do the jobs no one wants to do. Vote for Pedro.

LMAO, they might do a better job the corporation shills that we now have running the country.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Reid wants to play it like that. Force Obama to actually pass a budget. Do not fund the government anymore until the Dems actually come up with a viable option to do so. The House controls the purse strings. Shut the government down. Personally, I think it should be shut down and revamped. They do less damage to the Constitution when they are shut down.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The way I see it, the 'Trigger' from the August Budget Extension B* is going to get pulled.
Then they'll vote to throw that bit out hopefully with the 12 members of the 'Stupor CONgress.'

Which is probably the only action we'll see out of CONgress.

Then, well, it'll be anyone's game, and we'll all have cruddy hands.
M.

edit on 6-10-2011 by Moshpet because: 42

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I guess Republicans don't like it when Democrats play the same games they have been playing for two years

It's only wrong when democrats do it- don't forget!
By the way, did he actually do anything against rules or regulations, or people just don't like it so they whine and moan?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I guess Republicans don't like it when Democrates play the same games they have been playing for two years. Hes just following thier example. They are leading the House and Senate and hes just following thier example.

Wrong.

So stop guessing ...

Never ceases to amaze me how people here just post BS without ever bothering to look up the facts.

Fact: Democrats control the senate. Republicans control the house.

Fact: The Republicans considered using the "nuclear option" back in 2005 to bypass democrat filibusters on appointments, but instead formed a committee known as the "Gang of 14" with democrats and worked out a compromise.

Repeating ... Republicans chose compromise over doing what reid has just done.

source

The Gang of 14 was a term coined to describe the bipartisan group of Senators in the 109th United States Congress who successfully negotiated a compromise in the spring of 2005 to avoid the deployment of the so-called nuclear option over an organized use of the filibuster by Senate Democrats.

edit on 10/7/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join