It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Jobs Was Not God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Ok, I have tried to keep my silence on this issue for quite some time and i think the sufficient time has passed where i can post this without being too disrespectful to the passing of a human being. First and foremost i find it sad and kind of scary that people get so emotionally worked up over the death of a corporate CEO who made billions conning people into buying substandard products wrapped in gold foil. He was NOT a god or a GURU or some great leader of men that people should be moaning his loss on facebook and all other forms of social media infecting the minds of weaker men/women. I mean seriously he was about as influential as Henry Ford. Yeah so he marketed tech to the masses so what? So he made nerds feel cool, so what? There are far more worthy people who have died in the last year that didnt get one tenth of the out pouring Steve Jobs got. I sympathize with his family for their loss but that's as far as my emotional attachment to someone i never met extends.

To those of you Apple fanatics i ask this. Why are your lives so empty that such feelings of adoration can be dredged up and displayed for all the world to see about a man you never met and who charged you so much for a substandard product with incremental enhancements. He was a salesman and a great marketer of a product. thats it. He created brand awareness and build a public fan following, he got filthy rich in the process and that great FOR HIM!!! Wake the hell up and stop being such gullible sheep ready to weep a tear at the drop of a hat over someone who didnt really contribute much to the human race. From an article that i read.

An unbiased article on the death of Steve Jobs

Real outpourings of public grief should be reserved for those people who lived life so heroically and selflessly that they stand as shining examples of love for all of humanity. People like, for example, the Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth, who—along with his family—was bombed, beaten, and stabbed during his years of principled activism in the US civil rights movement. Shuttlesworth died yesterday, the same day as Steve Jobs. He did not die a billionaire.

and this is the icing on the cake

If you like Apple products, fine. They are products. They do not have souls. They are not heroes, and neither is their creator, no matter how skilled he may have been. Let's mourn Steve Jobs as we mourn the passing of any other good man—modestly, privately, and quietly. Those of you whose remembrances have already taken on a quasi-religious tone: seek help.

Seriously
edit on 6-10-2011 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Amen! He was not a GOD the way people are crying is like their lost their bloody brother.I can't understand it. He created some tech, okay another person will come along and bring something, fabulous, fantastic and too damn expensive to own-to the table.

We don't need this.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Its funny because its true. Not really funny but still true.

Pick a typical school in a average part of the country on any given day and go to lets say a 6th grade class. Stand at the front of the class and tell them to right a three paragraph report on who their hero is and why.

Chances are about half will be about a celebrity,musician, or pro sports player.
A quarter will be the current president whoever that may be at the time.
The rest will get B's on their reports because religious leaders Moms and Dads and generally people who are not on the news for yet another scandal are not deemed worthy of hero worship.

Or Im just making this all up. Its at least what i see in my small part of the country.

The really scary part is these are "grown ups" whatever that means.

link   
Prepare to get slated mate... there are many MANY nuthuggers of Steve Jobs and Apple.
The craziest thing I saw yesterday was someone trying to compare him to Albert Einstein.......... I mean come on...
I don't think my 'hatred' is towards Steve Jobs himself... its more towards Apple and their fanbois who know nothing about technology.
Here are a few reasons why I 'hate' Apple:
- Sells subpar technology to their consumers for crazy expensive prices (ok I guess that is good business sense... if you can sell rubbish hardware then why not!)
- Cripples smaller businesses with an incredibly aggressive patent hoarding.
- Their attitude towards development... if you want to make an app you have to have a mac (hmm sorta rhymes). I HATE THIS and frankly I think it should be banned. You also have to pay terribly expensive developer fees and profit fees to get your app on the market place (unlike Google where its much cheaper).
- I hate iTunes... the biggest load of rubbish I have ever seen... its stupidly resource hungry and just a terrible player.
- I hate their marketing compaigns also... they say that the iPad can do this and that and make it look amazing yet you could do the same thing and more with a laptop years ago...
- I also hate the fact that if you buy an iPod you have to use iTunes.

The hipster fanbois also grind my gears. They treat Steve Jobs like some sort of God... They basically suck on the tit of Apple and buy anything they release regardless of what it is... spending their money on upgrades they don't need. They walk around with their stupid iPads like they own the world... "ooo look at me with my iPad"... puleeese.

In fairness though Apple have created an incredibly powerful brand. They have unlocked technology to those who haven't a clue and will buy anything they feed to them. So well done to them.

One last thing that bugs me is Steve Jobs' philanthropy. I know he doesn't have a duty to give his money to charity but shutting down all Apple philanthropic ventures is pretty awful... especially when you see a man like Bill Gates litterally give billions of dollars to charities.

To all that might scream and shout at me for my above comments:
I'm not trying to be mean to Steve Jobs' name. I feel awful that the guy died WAY to young. He had a lot of marketing and development talent... lord only knows what he could have thought up of next.

Ok rant over lol.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

link   
I have to say that I agree with your post. Steve Jobs was an interesting figure, no doubt, but I was a bit surprised by all the adulation and sorrow from people who only knew him from television and news articles. I mean, they're making a shrine at the Apple HQ entrance in Cupertino, CA. I find it weird, to tell the truth.

I have never owned anything by Apple. I did buy an iPod for my daughter 4 years ago for her birthday because she begged for it, and paid an exorbitant amount of money for it. That irritation over the money paid for it was compounded by the fact that it got stolen 3 weeks later from her purse while she was in her high school English class. Arrgh!! I believe I paid money for the Apple name and not a superior product.

I appreciate his wanting to make things smaller and sleeker, but on Bloomberg TV today I saw them compare him to Michaelangelo, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Edison. An incredible amount of hyperbole for a CEO of a company that DID sell stuff that I consider, as the OP does, somewhat substandard, and way too expensive.

Steve Jobs has his place in the pantheon of 20th century innovators in the personal computer industry, but not as a demi-god, just as a guy who was good at what he did.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Serious question OP: Did you have any idea who Fred Shuttlesworth was and what he did before today?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Serious question OP: Did you have any idea who Fred Shuttlesworth was and what he did before today?

I absolutely did NOT know who he was and what his contribution to humanity was before this day. But i do now! Can the same be said for the Apple cultists? People are not born with the accumulated knowledge of the human race, we have to sift through the tons of garbage to get to the nuggets of what we consider important. A pile of garbage that is increasing exponentially daily as a result of idiotic people and their gullibility in being manipulated by the mass media. I am constantly learning daily and i wouldnt change that for the world.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I respect the man for getting to where he was by being self-taught. Was he one of the greatest minds the world has ever known? Debatable. Did he have a great mind for the fact that it wasn't institutionalized by the public school systerm? Most certainly.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Guys, it was the same when Michael Jackson passed away. We just love our celebrities. And once they're dead, they get acclaimed for a ton of things. I liked Steve Jobs, didn't much care for a lot of what Apple as a company did in regards to child labor, Foxconn etc.

And although I've already voiced my opinion in a couple of threads, I feel like I should have waited.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

That's a good point. No one did because people are so obsessed with people like Steve Jobs. I see what you were trying to do their though.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
He was and always be apple

he bild it , got banned ,, and when apple was a hart beat from death he resasetated apple

but that the apple is the sign of sin hardly makes him a god

never the less he was one of the great inovators of our time ( im 35 )

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssCrust
He was and always be apple

he bild it , got banned ,, and when apple was a hart beat from death he resasetated apple

but that the apple is the sign of sin hardly makes him a god

never the less he was one of the great inovators of our time ( im 35 )

people like you compound my confusion,

QUICK give me 5 examples with links to back up your statements of things Steve Jobs HIMSELF innovated and not delegated to other to do. you have 5 minutes. If you know what you're talking about then the facts should not be hard to find. the timer is on my friend.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have struggled to understand why people feel so emotional about this, too.

All I can think is...maybe people are always sort of waiting to for any opportunity to feel emotion. We keep a lot of emotion repressed inside outselves. And sometimes there are opportunities to let it out, so we take advantage of those opportunities. Like at a sporting event, for example. People get way more worked up about sports than is logical. What they are doing, maybe, is using the occasion to pour out and release other repressed emotions that have nothing to do with sports.

Maybe when something like this happens it takes on a life of its own. People see other people acting emotionally, so they let their emotions flow too...maybe underneith it all, it has very little to do with Jobs the man at all...
edit on 6-10-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

No one did because people are so obsessed with people like Steve Jobs.

Don't say no one, because I knew exactly who he was and what his accomplishments were long before I heard of his death.

+1 for private schools.

By the way, Steve Jobs IS God, and I really don't care what any of you say.....
edit on 6-10-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I completely agree. Steve Jobs was a man... A man who denied that his daughter was his daughter for two years.

Hell, he even had some pretty unethical business practices.

But damn was he a marketing Genius.

He could get you to pay 3 times the value and he could get you to stand in line to do so.

For anyone who may have gotten the idea that I was upset, based on my thread about him dying.... For what it is worth, truth be told, I could not care less that he died and I am not going to lose any sleep.

But at the same time, I can see why people are upset... I mean...There is this whole Apple cult and all.

But I digress. Yep, he was just a man. A very successful business man.
edit on 6-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
we live in a society that is posessed by greed and materialistic illusions and material objects are temporary illusions,that will wither and fade,turn to dust and blow away.all that is really accomplished by our fanatical, obsessional desire to buy electronic toys and gadgets.is the middle class drowning deeper in debt and despair and the rich getting richer and can afford new sports cars,outlandish mansions and the high maintainence women,who will suddenly come out of the woodwork and are a part of that wealthy scenery.whenever the smell of money is in the air...

so of course this man is worshipped and idolized and his passing sends emotional shockwaves across society.because we live in a fallen world.where reality is denied and what really should matter is ignored and replaced with egotistical,self centered,capitalistic robots...
edit on 6-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
I have struggled to understand why people feel so emotional about this, too.

All I can think is...maybe people are always sort of waiting to for any opportunity to feel emotion. We keep a lot of emotion repressed inside outselves. And sometimes there are opportunities to let it out, so we take advantage of those opportunities. Like at a sporting event, for example. People get way more worked up about sports than is logical. What they are doing, maybe, is using the occasion to pour out and release other repressed emotions that have nothing to do with sports.

Maybe when something like this happens it takes on a life of its own. People see other people acting emotionally, so they let their emotions flow too...maybe underneith it all, it has very little to do with Jobs the man at all...
edit on 6-10-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

WOW, if i could star and flag that post a thousand times over i would. The elegant truth of that statement will be lost on most but not me. That is it EXACTLY, people are so repressed they use any excuse to let feelings kept repressed by society and its status quo out in a public display.

Which brings us to another question, Why are peoples emotions being repressed? Seems like a desensitizing of the human race. But it seems emotions no matter how hard they try cant be locked out completely. they need to be vented somehow and sporting events and other such avenues serve this purpose.

I never understood the fanatic fervor with which people obsess over sport now it makes sense. And most of the guys i know who are fanatical about sport are majorly repressed emotionally. lmao i cant wait to burst their bubble.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Regardless of his original intentions, the thing that I hate about apple, and all the products, is how they can easily be used to spy on us. Under the patriot act, all cell phones can be hacked by the government without them even being on, and used as a listening device. In addition to that, cellphone cameras can also be accessed remotely, without the phone even being "turned on". The only way around this before was to remove the battery. However, the battery of an iphone can not be removed, there for it is always accessible.

iphones, ipads, imac, etc... All can be accessed at any time. they don't turn off, they hibernate. In a secure government or military facility, these devices (actually all cellular devices because of apple) are not allowed. The reason being that other people can access these devices and listen to and record secret meetings, military operations, etc...

Also, while countries like England, and even some states in the U.S spent millions on putting cameras up everywhere, and still can't see into the home, they got smart. They said "let the people buy the cameras for us." Under the Patriot act, These "cameras/listening devices" can be accessed at any time by the government, or by any hacker.

What's worse is that people have their entire life on these things. Bank info. Big one.... Now you can actually use your iphone as a credit card at places that have the readers for them. Even if all you do is pay your bill online on your iphone, that information can be hacked just like any computer can be. After all, that is all that your iphone is. A small computer. So before we go praising this champion of innovation, let us remember that what he did (whether he meant to or not) was create a big brother type police state. Just remember, you are always being heard and watched.

You don't have an iphone? its ok, someone around you does. And that is bad enough.

R.I.P, Steve Jobs. Any loss of life is a tragedy, but the legacy he left is not a good one.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Did you ever stop to think that perhaps....just maybe....some people kinda like Apple products? You seem to be a " victim" of Obama's class warfare.

Also, normal people feel empathy at the unexpected passing of another human.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
reply to post by Domo1

No one did because people are so obsessed with people like Steve Jobs.

Don't say no one, because I knew exactly who he was and what his accomplishments were long before I heard of his death.

+1 for private schools.

By the way, Steve Jobs IS God, and I really don't care what any of you say.....
edit on 6-10-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

If he was YOU'RE god and now he is dead then you really are screwed....lol. good luck with that

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join