It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auto Owners Beware -- D.C. Cops Throw Drivers in Jail for Expired Tags, AAA Cries Foul

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
While I do understand that expired plates is a legitimate reason for stopping a car, I do think that DC has gone a bit over the line with arresting and detaining folks for that reason only..

www.foxnews.com

In a city that hosts its fair share of murders and terror plots, Washington, D.C., police are cracking down on another threat to the nation's capital -- expired vehicle registrations.
To the frustration of forgetful drivers, Metropolitan Police Department officers are throwing people in jail for letting their tag renewals lapse. The practice provoked somewhat of a backlash last year after a local mother from Maryland was jailed for what in many places would be a routine traffic offense punishable by fine. But the department continues to reserve and exercise the right to throw drivers in the clink for missing the DMV deadline, no matter where they're from.

a bit more from the source..

"It is prohibited in the district to operate a motor vehicle that is unregistered. This is a crime that can result in arrest and a traffic citation," she said in an email.
According to D.C. Code, it is illegal to drive a vehicle without proper registration, punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 30 days.

Expired plates a few months out of date? sure.. 30 days or less? This seems to be a bit too far IMO..

If have plans on heading to DC you might want to triple check your plates to be safe

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Things like this should not be a criminal issue...purely civil. Putting someone in jail for not renewing their tag is ridiculous and is similar to the KGB arrests for someone doing absolutely nothing.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This is just sad.

I have fought many traffic battles, and have been jailed for a traffic offense. But IMO this is to far. What is your fine? What is the bail amount? The cost of your registration? Just silly.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I got scared at first til I realized I am not a 99%'er
so I pay my bills.

Move on nothing to see here unless yo don't pay your bills

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
Things like this should not be a criminal issue...purely civil. Putting someone in jail for not renewing their tag is ridiculous and is similar to the KGB arrests for someone doing absolutely nothing.

No kidding. I feel I should start referring to everyone as my fellow Soviets, instead of my fellow Americans.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Calling it "jail" makes it seem "OK" somehow under "certain circumstances". Just replace the word JAIL with the words "a cage" everytime you read it. Then you'll see how horrible something like this is.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meatman
so I pay my bills.

Or can't pay your bills, because of capitalistic corruption around every corner. That is such an irresponsible statement to make. You think that is all it boils down to? never had to struggle did you? Never faced a hardship where you had to choose what bills to pay, because you can't pay them all, have you.

How about being thankful you are fortunate enough to be able to pay all your bills? Not every is as fortunate. You should look up the word "empathy' in the dictionary. You might learn something.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
It's ALL about the MONEY.

You guys are really screwed now though. Once they start this there is not stopping, it will become ok to imprison you for jaywalking.

Good luck.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Bull all i hear on this site is how crimals belong in jail being tortured . Well you KNOW you should have a TAG you know when you should up date a tag to .
And I think there letting these peeps off lightly .
Now if this sounds stupid how stupid do these people sound when they say hey who cares if he was tortured or worse he did a crime (all along he did NOt do it but hey every one how goes to jail is a criminal right?? O i get it you dont care untill its you . Well gess what its you now and no one else cares

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Most of these people who claim they "forgot" are foreigners whose visa ran out and now they can't get the license renewed. They are now illegals and i say lock them up and confiscate the vehicle.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl

Originally posted by Meatman
so I pay my bills.

Or can't pay your bills, because of capitalistic corruption around every corner. That is such an irresponsible statement to make. You think that is all it boils down to? never had to struggle did you? Never faced a hardship where you had to choose what bills to pay, because you can't pay them all, have you.

How about being thankful you are fortunate enough to be able to pay all your bills? Not every is as fortunate. You should look up the word "empathy' in the dictionary. You might learn something.

you have more excuses then I could even think of.
Have been down on my luck and picked myself up, busted my butt now at 47 I no longer work raise and grow all my food and sell some to pay for some small bills I have.
You want to know something funny I use to give a way all the extra food I had which was enough to keep a few families in eating, until I saw a pattern happening people were not happy with the food I was giving away they started demanding other things I raised and grow that I would sell to pay my bills. So its people like you that blame and demand is why I dump all my extras instead of giving it away.

new topics

top topics

join