It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hank Williams Jr Terminated by ESPN due to comment made.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Hank Williams Jr Terminated by ESPN due to comment made.

www.thestatecolumn.com

According to ESPN, the sports network has sacked Hank Williams Jr. after the country singer compared a golf game between President Obama and House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to a golf game between Adolf Hitler and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

“We have decided to part ways with Hank Williams, Jr,” ESPN said in a statement. The sports network added that “we appreciate his contributions over the past years. The success of Monday Night Football has always been about the games and that will continue.”

Read more: www.thestatecolumn.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Not sure how I feel about this whole situation. Was he on ESPN's time when he made these comments? I understand at one point he was the face intro to the NFL's Monday Night Football but can't the guy have his own opinion on his political beliefs?

Couldn't find this anywhere in the news section of ATS, please close if it was posted earlier, thanks!

www.thestatecolumn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
i understand where hank was coming from, but in the future, make the republican the nazi, and you'll be fine ....lol

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Depends on what his contract with ESPN says. Look at Gilbert Gottfried Aflac fired him within an hour after his tweets about Japan after the tsunami. Hank should learn some history though Hitler was a supporter of Zionism so why wouldn't he play golf with Benny.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Look at what happened to the Dixie Chicks after they gave their opinion on Bush's wars. Same deal here. If your famous, don't publicly make your opinions known, esp political ones.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Depends on what his contract with ESPN says. Look at Gilbert Gottfried Aflac fired him within an hour after his tweets about Japan after the tsunami. Hank should learn some history though Hitler was a supporter of Zionism so why wouldn't he play golf with Benny.

It should be illegal to offer a contract that goes against your rights.
I know its not that way.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

It was a fun ride while it lasted Mr. Williams.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Absco

Perhaps Ashton Kutcher will be tapped to replace him, too?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Makes me wonder how they will open the show now?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

And yet Charlie won in end

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
i understand where hank was coming from, but in the future, make the republican the nazi, and you'll be fine ....lol

Definite example of the double standards in action.

See Whoopi Goldberg, Alec Baldwin, Natalie Means (Dixie Chick), and many other celebrities for examples of people on the left getting away with saying anything and everything.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
According to Hank Williams, Jr. He was not fired, he quit. From his website:

“After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.” -- Hank Williams Jr

www.hankjr.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Procession101

they should have let him go well before this anyway. the last few openings have been pretty bad, but how am i gonna know if I'm ready for some football now??

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I think people went way overboard with this, he was NOT comparing Obama to Hitler which would be ridiculous in itself. He was trying to make a point on how different Obama was to John Boehner. Hitler and the Prime minister of Israel are about one of the most powerful examples of differences you would be able to find.

That in no way made him racist nor did it make all rednecks racist like some posts I've seen on news sights talking about this. At worst it made him stupid for not realizing how his comments would be taken.
edit on 6-10-2011 by seeker1977 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Vote with your remote.. If you think what ESPN did is wrong, simply change the channel and boycott their sponsors. Money talks..

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Lol kutcher...ESPN will be in the wrong and settle with him out of court for violation of rights.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

“After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.” -- Hank Williams Jr

So - - he used his employment/employer as a platform to make a personal public political statement?

Is that correct?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Aggie Man

So - - he used his employment/employer as a platform to make a personal public political statement?

Is that correct?

Whether he intended to or not, I suppose so. Well, actually, he used Fox News as his platform...

I love
his statement "You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech".
.....Hey Hank, get a clue! Nobody infringed on your rights. You're just paying the consequences for exercising them.

I don't believe for one second that he quit.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Here is the video/ Fox News interview...

www.youtube.com...

And a rather entertaining Wash. Post op ed on the situation:

Wash. Post op

edit on 6-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Annee

Here is the video/ Fox News interview...

www.youtube.com...

Thanks. IMO - - if he is on his own time - doing his own thing - he has every right to express his political views.

If he is in anyway promoting ESPN or Monday Night Football - - he is not on his own time - - and he is wrong.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join