It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. Appeals Court Approves Cell Phone Searches During Traffic Stops

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
As I used to repair cell phones for a crust here are some tips.
If you have a keypad lock (pin) and sensitive data always use it. USe your power up password as well.
If you have sensitive data and a person requests your phone without a warrant and just cause switch it off or remove the battery as you hand it over. They can then go through the process of getting a warrant where they will have to argue just cause. If your phone is locked it is the same as if your boot is locked. They need a warrant and just cause.
Be polite and let them know you will be happy to provide information after you have discussed your rights with a lawyer.
If they want to steal your phone take their plates and badge number. They will take it to a phone repair shop and try to unlock. In most cases this will result in all data being lost because of the factory reset.

Often we would have law officers come into our shop without a warrant and ask that we unlock a suspects phone. (No warrant and of course expecting a freebee.) The manager would always comply we would look at it and say all data would be lost if we reset the password. They would need to do it through proper channels and be able to explain the cost to their forensics team. All in all hope this helps.

BTWs I have respect for the LEOs doin the tough job and doing it right. However there is a process which must be followed and laws which they must also follow. You can't stand as a figurehead of the law and flaunt it at the same time. Password protect people password protect. This will also protect your account if your phone is ever misplaced or stolen
edit on 6-10-2011 by Shirak because: spelling

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
If you read the UFED manual, the iphone can be cracked even if locked. Nice case, good fart apps, crappy security.

I have my blackberry (a consumer device with an actual FIPS rating) locked, encrypted, and even set it up to "garbage collect" the java just to make sure nothing is left to peak at. On the lock screen, it has the words "waterboard for password."

Note there is no way to encrypt a simcard, even on a blackberry. Don't store your address book on it.

us.blackberry.com...
www.mocana.com...

There is a way to make an Android phone FIPS rated, but I don't believe they are FIPS rated right out of the box like a Blackberry. But there are crypto modules for Android.

Apple is working on FIPS. Maybe the next OS will have the rating.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Sounds great. This will prompt people to keep their cell in the trunk and they won't be driving while talking on a cell and killing innocent people.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
In Cali a key phrase is "separate locked box".. Many savvy gun tote'n folks carry in their cars using a lockable briefcase they can shut upon being stopped... works for a phone.

Lockable glove compartments suffice, although cops will open it anyway claiming it was "unsecured".

If there is some uber sketchy stuff on your phone, it's your property.. feel to throw it in a sewer drain or submerge it in beverage to fry it. Cheaper than going to jail.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join