It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shakira Named to Presidential Education Advisory Council

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was thinking I was going to be redirected to the Onion when I read the OP. It just goes to show you cant make this stuff up. At this point I'm pretty much open to believe anything.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
I was thinking I was going to be redirected to the Onion

Why would it be? I have yet to read what people think is WRONG with this appointment... What's the problem with Shakira helping out with Hispanic Education in the US?

Anyone?
edit on 10/6/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

For starters I would think he would choose someone with an actual background in education. But hey, what do I know?

I guess ethnicity trumps educational experience now days.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Digital_Reality because: More

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
[color=#F20022]S[color=#f4241e]H[color=#f6471a]A[color=#f86b16]K[color=#f98f12]I[color=#fbb30e]RA [color=#fdd60a]S[color=#fbb30e]H[color=#f98f12]A[color=#f86b16]K[color=#f6471a]I[color=#f4241e]RA

Her Hips Don't Lie....They Don't.

So you must trust what she says

I am OutKast Searcher...and I approve this message

Anyway...I don't see the problem...getting someone who can relate to a demographic...that is politics 101. That is what they use Palin for...to talk to all the white folks.
edit on 6-10-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

This is a waaaay better version:

I really hope he doesn't appoint Danzig for President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for White Kids. That dude can barely read.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I must admit...I usually don't even have the volume on when I watch that video

Her Hips Don't Lie....No Sir.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Obama was getting tired of looking at the same old democrat hags I guess...

But really, out of all the people in the U.S., out of all the experienced teachers, is Shakira the best choice?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
way to go!!

great objectify women

aint got a damn thing to do with her looks it has everything to do with her qualifications and getting a job like that should have nothing to do with her ethincity or her gender.

pretty clear what part of the body some posters are thinking with.

meh

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
way to go!!

great objectify women

aint got a damn thing to do with her looks it has everything to do with her qualifications and getting a job like that should have nothing to do with her ethincity or her gender.

pretty clear what part of the body some posters are thinking with.

meh

Did your account get hijacked? Are you admitting that she was chosen for merit alone and that she is qualified?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

cant read can we?

she didnt get picked for anything other her looks she has name recognition and shes hispanic.

pretty simple
edit on 6-10-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

cant read can we?

she didnt get picked for anything other her looks she has name recognition and shes hispanic.

pretty simple

Not for all the schools she's opened around the world?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

cant read can we?

pretty simple

Now that's the Neo I expect. I can read but you are (even you admit this) sometimes easy to misinterpret. You said

That sounded like you were saying that Obama chose her based on merit alone which isn't something you would normally say.

In any case, I do believe there's more to it than just her celebrity status. She founded the Pies Descalzos Foundation and was chosen by the Oxford Union to speak on education. She is also an ambassador for UNICEF. I can think of worse choices.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
When has substance ever been part of the Political agenda recently?

It's all style now. I bet Shakira manages to raise a few million for Obama.

Bring on the 2012 Elections, then you will have the opportunity to vote in another puppet and start whining about their policies around the fall of 2013.

Two party politics, two sides of the same coin. Sure, it's easy to say what you are going to do when you are elected. It's another thing once the REAL Government tells you exactly what your policies actually are.

Remember 'Yes We Can'? Obama may well have said 'Blah Blah Blah'.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Next your gonna tell me that Obamas Cousin's Wife who is an actress has a United Nations Position... wait a second... ANGELINA JOLIE has a UN POSITION!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Shakira and the Obama Administration have announced that she will be a member of the President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics. Read more celebrity gossip at: www.thehollywoodgossip.com...

www.thehollywoodgossip.com...

You cant make this stuff up i swear here comes Shakira and Obama use her to pander for the hispanic votes ok so mr predisent it where are the others?

There are lots of different nationalities in this country so why only the hispanics? pandering for more votes? yeah pretty much so.

the obama adminstation the whose who of celebrities not a one with any real qualifications.

have to say this is a worthless move by the current potus with one goal to get the hispanic vote because that dude has been loosing support left and right and in between.

what say you ats?

Wow, a politician doing something to pander to a certain demographic. Did you just crawl out from under a rock?

Democrats pander to the poor, liberals, and minorities.

Republicans pander to the rich, Christians, conservatives, and whites. They also pander to Hispanics as well.

It is what it is. This kind of stuff is trivial compared to Barry O's legitimate crimes against this country and humanity.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

i have had enough of that crap seriously

1. unless your moderator your opinion doesnt count for much

2 dont like the thread or what i write dont read it

3.you dont own this site nor anyone who posts on it.

4 your free to make any thread about any topic you so wish.

have problems with any of that tough luck and this place aint burger king your not always going to have it your way.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
It sounds silly if you don't know anything about what Shakira has been doing for the past 15 years:

Latin American pop star Shakira participates in a meeting of the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics Commission. President Obama appointed the singer to the Commission on the basis of her extensive philanthropic work on this issue. (by Adam Garber)

Here the article that Shakira wrote that's on the white house website:
www.whitehouse.gov...

Shakira: Improving Latino Education Crucial to Community and to America's Economic Competitiveness
Posted by Shakira on October 06, 2011 at 03:00 PM EDT

Latino youth are the fastest-growing group in America, and more Latino children are living in poverty than children of any other racial or ethnic group; one in four, that's 6.1 million Latino children living in poverty in the United States.

For a host of reasons, young Latinos in this country disproportionately drop out of school and far too few finish college. And as I have seen in my own philanthropic work, the only road out of poverty is education.

Investing in the educational achievement of this vulnerable population will not only help determine the economic future and competitiveness of this nation, but can serve as a model for the world. I am grateful to have an opportunity to support and inform such important work.

I hope that through my appointment to this commission, I will be able to share what I've learned through the 15 years I have been involved in the education of Latino children. As we all know, race and ethnicity shouldn't be factors in the success of any child.

It is my belief that if we provide early childhood education to Latino children who need it but cannot afford it, it will take less than a decade to reap the benefits. There will be fewer Latino students being held back, fewer who need special education at a later age, less crime involving school-age children, and a smaller achievement gap between Latino and White students.

This isn't just my belief. There is substantial scientific support for this notion. According to numerous recent studies, the largest predictor of high school educational achievement is academic skill level upon entry into kindergarten. Even by middle school, these academic patterns have become entrenched, forming a blueprint that shapes a student's entire academic experience and life. Upon entering kindergarten 42% of Latino children are found in the lowest quartile of performance in reading skills compared to just 18% of white children.

For that reason it is clear that the most powerful avenue for boosting academic achievement at all grade levels is improving the basic academic skills of children before kindergarten.

The Obama administration has made a point to improve Latino education and, as I have discussed with President Obama, I am extremely passionate about working with the White House to plan an early childhood education summit in the coming year. The importance of this cannot be overemphasized.

As the Latino population grows, the U.S. economy becomes more and more dependent on its success.

There is no doubt that the future of the United States is inextricably tied to the future of the Latino community here and the education of its youth.

The more we invest in strategies that nurture the bodies and minds of young Latino children the more we'll guarantee economic prosperity for this great country in the years to come.

Shakira is a Grammy award winning pop singer

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Shakira has been fighting for this cause for the past 15 years. Over those years she's talked about this issues with every major world leader, from Obama to every major Latin American president. She uses her fame to try to get people to listen to more serious topics that she cares about.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
She can speak and sing in dozens of languages and travels the world. She's one of the smartest people in the music industry. I once read an article about her and it was very impressive. She is quite an intellectual actually. This is no Britney Spears. Now I see a few ATSers talk about her educational outreach programs and it only makes sense that she would be an advisor here.

Now if he had appointed Britney Spears trust me I would be agreeing with the negativity.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
President Obama Appoints Shakira To Administration
Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics
www.whitehouse.gov...

WASHINGTON – Today, President Barack Obama announced his intent to appoint the following individuals to key Administration posts:

Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll – Member, President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

Nancy Navarro – Member, President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

Adrián A. Pedroza – Member, President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

Kent P. Scribner – Member, President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

President Obama said, “I am grateful that these impressive individuals have chosen to dedicate their talents to serving the American people at this important time for our country. I look forward to working with them in the months and years ahead.”

President Obama announced his intent to appoint the following individuals to key Administration posts:

Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, Appointee for Member, President’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll is a Grammy Award-winning singer, songwriter, record producer, and dancer. In addition to her career in music, Ms. Mebarak Ripoll has been involved in a number of global educational efforts. She founded the Barefoot Foundation in 1995, which operates schools and educational projects in Colombia, South Africa, and Haiti, feeding and educating approximately 6,000 children. In 2010, she collaborated with the World Bank and the Barefoot Foundation to establish an initiative that distributes educational and developmental programs for children across Latin America. In 2008, Ms. Mebarak Ripoll served as the Honorary Chair of the Global Campaign for Education’s Global Action Week. In 2005, she became a founding member of Latin America in Solidarity Action, a coalition of artists and business leaders seeking to promote integrated early childhood public policies. Ms. Mebarak Ripoll became a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund in 2003, where she promotes the expansion and improvement of comprehensive early childhood care and education across the world.

Nancy Navarro, Appointee for Member, President’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

Nancy Navarro has served as a Councilmember for the County Council of Montgomery County, Maryland since 2009, where she is Chair of the Government Operations and Fiscal Policy Committee and sits on the Health and Human Services Committee. Previously, Ms. Navarro served on the Montgomery County Board of Education from 2004 to 2009, where she was Chair of the Board’s Communications and Public Engagement Committee, a member of the Strategic Planning Committee, and President from 2006 to 2009. Before entering public office, Ms. Navarro co-founded a community-based non-profit that promoted the economic and educational development of Latinos and other immigrant communities. She is the recipient of the Community Teachers Institute’s 2009 Heart of the Community Award and the Maryland State Department of Education’s 2001 Women Who Dare Leadership Award, among other recognitions. Ms. Navarro holds a B.A. from the University of Missouri.

Adrián A. Pedroza, Appointee for Member, President’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

Adrián A. Pedroza is the Executive Director of the Partnership for Community Action, a grassroots, community-based organization that works to build community leadership around issues of immigration, education reform, and public health. Previously, Mr. Pedroza led the University of New Mexico High School Equivalency and College Assistance Migrant Programs, which provide educational opportunities to migrant and seasonal farmworkers and their families. In addition, Mr. Pedroza worked for U.S. Senator Jeff Bingaman as a Constituent Services Representative in New Mexico. Under Governor Bill Richardson, Mr. Pedroza was appointed to the inaugural Hispanic Education Advisory Council. He is currently a founding and executive member of the New Mexico Learning Alliance and served as a founding member of the Latino/Hispano Education Improvement Task Force. Mr. Pedroza sits on the board of the New Mexico Civic Engagement Partnership. He holds a B.A. and an M.B.A. from the University of New Mexico.

Dr. Kent P. Scribner, Appointee for Member, President’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

Dr. Kent P. Scribner is the Superintendent of Union High School District #210 in Phoenix, Arizona, a position he has held since 2008. As Superintendent, Dr. Scribner oversees a school district that serves approximately 25,000 students in grades 9 to 12. From 2003 to 2008, Dr. Scribner served as Superintendent of Isaac School District #5 in Phoenix, Arizona. Immediately prior to that, he served as Executive Director of the Department of Human Resources at School District #3 in Tempe, Arizona. In 2008, Dr. Scribner received the Excellence in Educational Leadership Award from the University Council of Educational Administration. In 2005, he was appointed by then-Governor Janet Napolitano to the Arizona School District Redistricting Commission. Dr. Scribner serves on several boards and commissions, including the Valley of the Sun United Way and the Arizona Business and Education Coalition. Dr. Scribner holds a B.A. from Carleton College, a M.Ed. from Temple University, and a Ph.D. from Arizona State University.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novise
She can speak and sing in dozens of languages and travels the world. She's one of the smartest people in the music industry. I once read an article about her and it was very impressive. She is quite an intellectual actually. This is no Britney Spears. Now I see a few ATSers talk about her educational outreach programs and it only makes sense that she would be an advisor here.

Now if he had appointed Britney Spears trust me I would be agreeing with the negativity.

The negativity comes from people that don't know much about her. She's one of the few pop stars that is using her fame for something positive.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join