It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All satellite signals are subject to interference from the sun!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Those outages happen in the spring and fall.This outage will have no lasting effect on your directv service.
Was that a cme??Certainly things are heating up so to say.With the increase in size of the earthquakes to the sun being slammed and increased solar activity and the revolts in america.

Loosing satellite service like this is not usual at all.I installed these systems for ten years and this is not common.

edit on 6-10-2011 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

www.santafenewmexican.com... e/Future-solar-storms-will-test-Earth-technology

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Erm..

What?

Provide me with some info and I might be able to help you.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
i dont know what you are talking about...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Basically just a 2 minute loss in directv service and the message on the screen is what i wrote.
edit on 6-10-2011 by deadeyedick because: sp

My best guess is that explosion we seen from the sun just reached directv satellites 23000 mi from earth and its on the way.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
confused dot com??
help me here?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Did you lose your satellite TV? Is that the problem? I don't understand what you are talking about. The CME that came off the sun the other day was not earth directed, I thought

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cantsee4looking

directv is a tv service provider in the us that uses satellites in geosynchronous orbit.The service has been very reliable over the years.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Wait, the sun takes up 99.3 percent of the mass in our solar system, and you're trying to tell me that it might affect something within that same solar system?

We need to e-mail NASA, now!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdb51
Did you lose your satellite TV? Is that the problem? I don't understand what you are talking about. The CME that came off the sun the other day was not earth directed, I thought

I don't know what caused it that was a guess.Yes the service was gone and a message said that solar activity during the spring and fall cause these outages.However these outages are not common from their satellites in orbit.It usually goes out because of a problem on the ground.Such as receivers and wiring in homes.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GringoViejo
Wait, the sun takes up 99.3 percent of the mass in our solar system, and you're trying to tell me that it might affect something within that same solar system?

I'm saying that that 99.3 percent is more active now than years past.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

If I understand your thread, you lost DirecTV for a bit and they had a message blaming sun activity in Fall/Spring seasons. Interesting...

I have something you may find interesting the next time this happens though. I used to have Hughes internet and Dish Network when I was living in the sticks a few years ago and found it interesting to switch the receivers into diagnostics when outages happened. Signal strength almost never went away...just fell below the threshold for digital reception.

I'd found the remaining signal and watching it fluctuate...how it fluctuated...could tell quite a bit in what was likely happening. I only saw signal zero out when Super-Cell T-storms passed directly in LOS to the Satellites. There were a couple weird outages which occurred on clear blue skies a couple times when I could see by signal strength on both dishes that something was in LOS...but darned if I ever knew what it might have been. Another Satellite? Anyway...even those never went 0 like a major T-storm would. Ground problems maintained a nice signal strength...it just wouldn't have anything in it to see on TV....lol

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Your on the right track.From what i know they could not broadcast the message i seen the transmitting satellite went out.The signal generates here on the ground then is sent to multiple satellites in orbit that send it to the transmitting satellite.So its likely that the signal was lost that was coming from the multiple satellites to the transmitting satellite.The transmitting satellite may have that message as a sort of default for loss.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadeyedick

Originally posted by GringoViejo

I'm saying that that 99.3 percent is more active now than years past.

Well, you know, the sun has an 11 year cycle, and it is now going for a solar-max cycle during the next 2 years..... Satellite services will suffer a few outages in the next couple of years, but that is totally to be expected.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
oh yes, I forgot to mention the fact the the sun is quite a powerful RF transmitter in it's own right, and at certain times the sun can be in the sky in line with the satellite and the ground station, or in line with the satellite and your dish. In both these cases you have a very very small signal (from the ground station at the satellite's antenna, or at your satellite dish) trying to compete with a huge transmitter (the sun). Under those conditions the quality of the satellite signal will be greatly reduced, and it doesn't take a lot more than a couple of clouds, or a solar storm, or a slight misalignment of your dish, to make the signal unusable .

more details here :
www.ips.gov.au...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.radio-electronics.com...

new topics

top topics

join