It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the banks dont want you to know

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by FurvusRexCaeli
reply to post by UniverSoul

I'm a member of a pretty good credit union. I'm also a customer of a couple pretty awesome banks. I think my local bank is my favorite of the three. It's very conveniently located, the staff is friendly and industrious, it offers much better savings rates, and I don't think they've ever charged me a fee. The credit union is a solid runner-up, and I keep a small checking account there, but they don't offer the personalized service and good interest rate I get from my bank. From my experience, "the banks" are not a homogenous bloc, and if you write them all off because of the the actions of some, you can miss out on a lot.

seems like your with a small local bank? which is another good (not as good) option, as long as you know where the money is going..make sure the owners are local because why give your money to someone who isnt helping society or your community
the fact that banks are conveniently located is testament to the fact they are selling a product and not giving a service, which is what a banks role should be
most credit unions do offer better rates and youll never find fees like that of the big banks.
if enough people joined our credit unions they would offer much better rates and it would be all for your benefit not the shareholder.
your not missing out on anything because credit unions give you the exact same thing but dont ask for anything in return!
the only person who will miss out if we dont use banks is the bankers and its about time they got a taste of their own medicine.
banks control a lot of the world and its unfair especially considering they do nothing positive for 99% society.
take care.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I agree with you that credit unions are far superior to banks, and they are safer and more secure than banks. The problem is that credit unions, like banks, get their money supply from the same place.... the FED, so we are still screwed.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I have been with my credit union for six years. Their interest rates are lower on loans. The interest rates on savings accounts and CDs are higher. Plus I make .75% interest on my checking. The banking fee is a flat $2 a month and they don't charge me to use any ATM.

The one time there was a strange charge to my card they called me up and asked me about it. Before they would release the payment they verified the charge with me. I told them I didn't know where the charge came from. They left the money in my account and sent me a new card that afternoon.

When I had a similar issue with RBC Centura they didn't call me. Then when I saw the charge on my monthly statement they gave me grief because I waited more than 14 days to report the charge. How was I supposed to report a charge I didn't know about? They charged me to issue a new card, and forced me to fill out a bunch of paper work. They refused to put the money back for nearly 15 days.

That doesn't count the time an idiot teller refused to cash a check because my signature on the check didn't match the signature in their system. It didn't matter that I had my drivers license. She would not cash the check because the signatures failed to match. When her boss came over, the boss told me I had to fill out a new signature card or they could not accept any further transactions on my account. I had been coming to the same branch for six straight months and processing transactions with different tellers multiple times a week.

I will never go back to a mega-monster bank.
edit on 7-10-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

I agree with you that credit unions are far superior to banks, and they are safer and more secure than banks. The problem is that credit unions, like banks, get their money supply from the same place.... the FED, so we are still screwed.

i understand they get it from the fed but what we would be doing is taking the control of the fed from the banks and into the hands of the people!
we just need enough people to change to credit unions

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul

Originally posted by Xaberz
The only ish is a lot of the members are kind of weird. Like hippie types that don't shower for some reason. Or just really weird people that give funky vibes, like they're deceitful or something. When I was at a bank I didn't really get that, it seemed like more regular people. Families that sort of stuff. But for some reason the Credit Unions attract all the weirdos. HAHA!

that tells you a lot more then you might think.. this just shows you that 'regular' people are brainwashed and materialistic. ive come to think that the bank and credit union situation is the ultimate logical proof for brainwashing and how much control they actually have over us. these people could go to a credit union, get a better deal be happy and not give one cent to some fat cat who does nothing. except they dont even know about the other options, they dont even care
that is brainwashing!

although here in australia, everyone ive seen at my branch seems perfectly normal..
i dont know if your eric cartman but whats wrong with hippies?
id perfer to be around a hippie then some tight arse in a suit

That may be. As for the Buffalonian Hippie types. I don't mind that they're a hippie. It's just when they stink really bad because they haven't bathed, and it's hard because the Credit Union is really small so you can't really stand back.

And as for the weird/deceitful looking people in the CU. I'm sure banks have their fair share, but I think the CU draws more because people think they can take more advantage of a CU since it might not have all the rules and regulations that a bank has. And it's smaller, so it might not follow up on you if you scam them as a bank might.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

The only ish is a lot of the members are kind of weird. Like hippie types that don't shower for some reason. Or just really weird people that give funky vibes, like they're deceitful or something. When I was at a bank I didn't really get that, it seemed like more regular people. Families that sort of stuff. But for some reason the Credit Unions attract all the weirdos. HAHA!

that tells you a lot more then you might think.. this just shows you that 'regular' people are brainwashed and materialistic. ive come to think that the bank and credit union situation is the ultimate logical proof for brainwashing and how much control they actually have over us. these people could go to a credit union, get a better deal be happy and not give one cent to some fat cat who does nothing. except they dont even know about the other options, they dont even care
that is brainwashing!

although here in australia, everyone ive seen at my branch seems perfectly normal..
i dont know if your eric cartman but whats wrong with hippies?
id perfer to be around a hippie then some tight arse in a suit

That may be. As for the Buffalonian Hippie types. I don't mind that they're a hippie. It's just when they stink really bad because they haven't bathed, and it's hard because the Credit Union is really small so you can't really stand back.

And as for the weird/deceitful looking people in the CU. I'm sure banks have their fair share, but I think the CU draws more because people think they can take more advantage of a CU since it might not have all the rules and regulations that a bank has. And it's smaller, so it might not follow up on you if you scam them as a bank might.

do you work for a bank?
because this is exactly the type of argument you would have to resort to.
if you do work for a bank you would know better then most im right, so either give me a factual response or dont reply.
i would call a 'weirdo' someone who lies to his fellow human beings for monetary gain..holding a monopoly on the control of the world and forcing millions to live in poverty which is directly responsible for countless murders, rapes and any other type of crime
banks are the sewers of the world and that stinks a lot worse then a hippie

credit unions have all the same saftey rules and regulations
they have the same insurance on your money so its safe
and being smaller would make them more likely to respond to scams..sometimes scams can go unnoticed in banks for ages because they are too big and dont put money into improving their system only their ceo's pay packet

edit on 7-10-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I joined a credit union when I was in the Army, when I was quite young. I have never used anything but one since. I've never had anything but good experiences with credit unions.

I don't trust a regular bank any further than I could toss it. Mind, credit unions will also smack you with fees and such.. they are all out for a profit at the end of the day. But I think they are a safer option by far.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
I joined a credit union when I was in the Army, when I was quite young. I have never used anything but one since. I've never had anything but good experiences with credit unions.

I don't trust a regular bank any further than I could toss it. Mind, credit unions will also smack you with fees and such.. they are all out for a profit at the end of the day. But I think they are a safer option by far.

well it would be impossible to run without some fees, but most credit unions have a lot less and cheaper fees. not to mention they fee you for logical things not every single thing you do.
and those fees you pay dont go to the owners, they go to offering you better rates and helping the community.

please tell people you know to make the change to credit unions. if enough people make the change we can take the power away from banks, the people who run your government

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I used to belong to a credit union. After my health took a dive, I had to fall back on disability. Because of this, my financial situation has become a lot more lean than what it used to be. Sadly, when my health failed, I had a car loan and a credit card through the credit union - both of which I was paying off well within my means, when I had my health. It is the credit union that has been the most difficult to work with. It is the credit union that has most aggressively pursued legal action, going so far as to repossess a vehicle that I purchased with CASH to "recover their assets". It is the credit union that I am currently engaged in a legal battle with, currently, because the credit union is violating almost every aspect of the FDCPA.

Credit unions are NOT the magic answer, nor a good alternative. They are just as crooked as the banks they are trying to replace.

For the record - I have since moved what financial business I do have to a bank. I have been with this bank for 3 years. I have NEVER had a single issue with this bank.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dharvell
I used to belong to a credit union. After my health took a dive, I had to fall back on disability. Because of this, my financial situation has become a lot more lean than what it used to be. Sadly, when my health failed, I had a car loan and a credit card through the credit union - both of which I was paying off well within my means, when I had my health. It is the credit union that has been the most difficult to work with. It is the credit union that has most aggressively pursued legal action, going so far as to repossess a vehicle that I purchased with CASH to "recover their assets". It is the credit union that I am currently engaged in a legal battle with, currently, because the credit union is violating almost every aspect of the FDCPA.

Credit unions are NOT the magic answer, nor a good alternative. They are just as crooked as the banks they are trying to replace.

For the record - I have since moved what financial business I do have to a bank. I have been with this bank for 3 years. I have NEVER had a single issue with this bank.

once again like anything you need to find which credit union is right for you..there would almost certainly be one to suit you in that situation
of course they need to be strict about payments but ive never heard of a bank that isnt 10x worse about it. plus if we build the numbers in credit unions then they would be better able to help people in these situations..
i dont really see what your problem is its understandable they need you to pay.

credit unions are the answer, with more people in them they would be able to help everyone..

take the power away from banks, they run the world
you run a credit union!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Great post...S&F

As a 45 year member of VIA Credit Union, I am indeed a life long fan.

However, not all Credit Unions are the same.

I worked for a time for another Credit Union that I found to be not much better than a bank.

Always check with other members to see what they think of their Credit Union..

If your idea is that you may be able to screw the Credit Union, you will be sadly mistaken. They use all available means to collect what you have agreed to with them. All-in-all honest people will prefer the Credit Union to Banks, IMO.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
Great post...S&F

As a 45 year member of VIA Credit Union, I am indeed a life long fan.

However, not all Credit Unions are the same.

I worked for a time for another Credit Union that I found to be not much better than a bank.

Always check with other members to see what they think of their Credit Union..

If your idea is that you may be able to screw the Credit Union, you will be sadly mistaken. They use all available means to collect what you have agreed to with them. All-in-all honest people will prefer the Credit Union to Banks, IMO.

well like anything its important to research and work out whats going to work best for you, but there will be a credit union that will do wonders for most people.

im not sure if you mean me or people in general about screwing the cu
but my idea is for everyone to join credit unions so they become economic powers that can actually do the world good and take away power from the banks.
ive also been a member my whole life and would never try to screw them cause i almost feel i owe them considering what i would of got at a bank

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Posting to show support for credit unions.

You can actually feel the difference when you walk in there that you're not dealing with some big faceless evil corporation.

I got a 4% interest loan on my car, while my previous bank would only offer a 10%.. and I had been banking with them for a decade.

I'm not the best with keeping my books balanced, so I used to overdraft quite often. $40 dollars for that? Why would it cost me or anyone $40 dollars to go over $1 of what they have? There's no inconvenience there for the bank.. they have as much imaginary money as they want to throw around! It's how they make a lot of their money, and there's no reason for it. The credit union I belong to doesn't do that.
edit on 7-10-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
Posting to show support for credit unions.

You can actually feel the difference when you walk in there that you're not dealing with some big faceless evil corporation.

I got a 4% interest loan on my car, while my previous bank would only offer a 10%.. and I had been banking with them for a decade.

I'm not the best with keeping my books balanced, so I used to overdraft quite often. $40 dollars for that? Why would it cost me or anyone $40 dollars to go over $1 of what they have? There's no inconvenience there for the bank.. they have as much imaginary money as they want to throw around! It's how they make a lot of their money, and there's no reason for it. The credit union I belong to doesn't do that.
edit on 7-10-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

most people dont realise the amazingly low intrest loans they can get from credit unions

please help spread the message

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I got my first mortgage from my local credit union. They had sold it before the first payment came due.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Burnerz

Where do you live? LOL! Kidding. I agree. It is good to keep some cash in the house.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarshMallow_Snake
reply to post by Burnerz

Where do you live? LOL! Kidding. I agree. It is good to keep some cash in the house.

haha im sure the banks are already looking into that, but oh well.
definetley a good idea to keep some in the house for the upcoming economic collapse
yes banks we know about that too

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaguarsky

I got my first mortgage from my local credit union. They had sold it before the first payment came due.

this is what financial institutions do?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

i understand they get it from the fed but what we would be doing is taking the control of the fed from the banks and into the hands of the people!
we just need enough people to change to credit unions

I appreciate your sentiment, I really do, and I wish it were as easy as you make it out to be, but it isn't. The Fed will always have the power as long as they are the sole supplier of money. They have the ultimate say of how much interest rates are, among many other things. If the Fed raises interest rates, it effects credit unions just as much as it does the banks, and in turn the banks and credit unions have to raise the rates they charge their customers. Credit unions wouldn't raise their rates quite as high as a traditional bank, but they would still raise them. The main difference between the two is that the members of a credit union do indeed have more power, but that power is limited to the credit union itself. The Fed still has all of the power over the banks and credit unions, and the members/customers of both. The only way to end the madness is to end the Fed once and for all, by ANY means necessary.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I thought i should add one thing to your post which i consider a big one.It is that Creditit Unions are a global concept and are available in most countrys not just the US. A flag and star for you for showing yet another way to settle this global problam with out trying to scream and shot CHANGE THE MACHINE we simply say NO,because theres allready another way take the fuel from the machine and it will stop dead.
i am from UK and know for a fact that a well proportioned amount of poeple live on over drafts thorugh ther bank accounts how could this be adressed im curious how they could help.
edit on 7/10/2011 by indisputable because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/10/2011 by indisputable because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join