It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping it simple.... Revolver's

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Buy that much ammo?
If you are on target and proficient with a handgun, the only thing needed to practice reloading is 6 empties and a speedloader of live or dummy rounds.
I still practice just reloading, but with a mag.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Practice fast reloading blindfolded. It will come in handy. There used to be a company that made a small rubber boot that you could attach to the bottom of the magazine on a semi-auto handgun so that you wouldn't bend the mag when you dropped it on a fast reload.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment expressed by the OP. My personal handgun is a rather old, yet very functional, Smith and Wesson .38 special. No, it won't knock over a mountain, nor does it have a bunch of bells and whistles. Tritium sights are about the only change I've had made to it.

It's accurate, and more importantly, I'm accurate with it. With a couple of speed loaders, I don't think I'll ever be completely out gunned... within reason, of course. Then again...if the bad guy has a machine gun, or something of that sort, I'm running away, any way.

Keep it simple.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Not true... go back and read the caption under the revolver with the scope and tec-light

The Smith & Wesson's Performance Center is producing the Model 327 TRR8. The “TRR” stands for “Tactical Rail Revolver”, and the “8” refers to the capacity

that's an 8 shooter.... the standard 1911 A1 is only a 7 shoot...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SnakeShot

Personally I like the autos better because of accuracy with a double/single but I just don't know what to do here.
Any advice on what to get her would be appreciated.

you answered your own question... you personally... like autos... but she is not you...

the best thing you can do is take her to a range where they have lots of different guns she can try out... or get a few gun totting buddies together willing to let her try out some of their toys...

the big thing is whatever she picks have to be something she likes... something she's comfortable with... if you or I picked for her... we'll most likely be wrong...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Thestargateisreal

Ya see...
thats why your my favorite...
you think for yourself... make your own choices... those that are right for you....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal
reply to post by GrandpaDave

Great thread GrandpaDave! Should a hand gun automatically be the best option for home defense as well as self defense? I've noticed members here seem to have a wide variety of opinions about what gun is best.

It depends on your skills I guess? My wife loves her baseball bat, but she was misled by Hollywood that the best way to use it was to swing it like Mickey Mantle, and I had to show her that wouldn't work. If one knows how to use a baseball bat, then it makes a great self-defense weapon. Same with a knife or a can of hairspray!

Guns are extremely powerful and extremely easy to learn and use no matter what your physical characteristics are. My wife is 95lbs, her best blow with a baseball bat is not going to be devastating to somebody my size (but it did hurt a little when I let her try it and then took it away). But, her .380 pistol is going to be devastating to everyone equally despite her size!

For Home Defense, I prefer my Pistol Grip 12 guage with the 500k candlepower Xenon light! Blinding and powerful and impossible to miss my target. For carry, I prefer the .380 or the 1911 .45 caliber.

But, you are onto something, the best defense weapon is your own mind. Be able to improvise and react and use whatever is available.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks for the kind words fellows. I only have experience with shooting a shotgun. I'm thinking that I'll buy a better one for home defense. I already have the most terrible shotgun known to exist (maybe). A single shot that only fires one bullet at a time. You have to open up the barrel and place another shell in it, each time. With all of the stuff flying around right now (occupy Wall street), it looks like a good time to upgrade to a better gun.

I liked the little Python .357 though, it's hot. I don't think I really need a handgun, although that one is nice looking.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What kind of shotgun is that?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

You have an eye for the best... and expensive...Colt Python 4" barrel Nickel Finish
Current Bid $1,200.00 Reserve Not Met ... could bring as much as $2,000... of course this is one of the finest examples of the gun makers art... functional art at that
Link to gun brokers

Edit to add... if it's another shotgun you want... might I suggest the Mossberg 500

JIC™ 500® Cruiser® kit includes:
500® Cruiser® 12 gauge pump-action, 6-round capacity, 18-1/2” barrel, bead sight, blued metal finish
Waterproof Survival Kit-In-A-Can, containing the necessities to keep you going when an emergency strikes
Floating synthetic carrying-tube with shoulder strap
Tube includes a heavy-duty synthetic seal, factory tested to be air-tight and waterproof to a minimum of 17psi or 40’ when properly installed

edit on 7-10-2011 by GrandpaDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I like things that are shiny, and or black. I'll check out that gun when I have more time. Got to get back to work now.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I've always heard bad things about the Enfield so im suprised. Will have to look into the specifics

Aye tis a shame, tis a shame. Thinking about joining a Shooting Club and getting a licence for hunting rifles though. Clay Pigeon shooting is pretty lame

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandpaDave

You have an eye for the best... and expensive...Colt Python 4" barrel Nickel Finish
Current Bid $1,200.00 Reserve Not Met ... could bring as much as $2,000... of course this is one of the finest examples of the gun makers art... functional art at that
Link to gun brokers

Edit to add... if it's another shotgun you want... might I suggest the Mossberg 500

JIC™ 500® Cruiser® kit includes:
500® Cruiser® 12 gauge pump-action, 6-round capacity, 18-1/2” barrel, bead sight, blued metal finish
Waterproof Survival Kit-In-A-Can, containing the necessities to keep you going when an emergency strikes
Floating synthetic carrying-tube with shoulder strap
Tube includes a heavy-duty synthetic seal, factory tested to be air-tight and waterproof to a minimum of 17psi or 40’ when properly installed

edit on 7-10-2011 by GrandpaDave because: (no reason given)

Got to love a colt! I almost had one of these babies back in 1987, it was blue not nickel, but the price $365.00!
but wasn't married a year yet so

Had to walk away..

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by oldshooter1979

Meh, just get divorced, the gun won't cost you as much as a wife.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

No, she was worth keeping. We where married 18 years before her passing in 2004. I have a good collection (of guns not wives) and shoot as much as I can. That was not the only deal I have had to pass up, But all in all, I am happy with my shooters and my girlfriend Sunflowerstar. She shoots sometimes with me, having a S&W .380 and taking my .410 to the range.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I'm sorry for your loss.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I just thought I should add...
the reason I always recommend stainless or nickle... is not because of the shiny factor...
it's because they are more resistant to corrosion... even my collection went a little over a year without being cleaned and oiled... thoroughly inspected... and I'm like anal when it comes to my weapons....

if your not going to devote much time to their up keep... but one that is inherently weather resistant..

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I sold my Python... I only gave $450 for it back in 91 and when this feller offers me $2500 for it last year it was time to say goodbye... I still have a Colt King Cobra I bought new the first year they came out $310

edit on 8-10-2011 by GrandpaDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandpaDave

I sold my Python... I only gave $450 for it back in 91 and when this feller offers me $2500 for it last year it was time to say goodbye... I still have a Colt King Cobra I bought new the first year they came out $310

edit on 8-10-2011 by GrandpaDave because: (no reason given)

Ya but I bet it was hard to say good bye. I was going to post a pic of our hand guns but I keep getting this:
Image Uploads Are Temporarily Disabled
Oh well maybe it will get fixed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join