It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping it simple.... Revolver's

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
S&F just for the name of this thread.

I've been looking for a revolver. I am split between the whole semi-automatic and revolver argument, I see merits to both weapons. I gravitate towards the revolver, because either way it's something I'd rather not have to use, however if I were to ever pull it, I'd imagine it looks a bit more obvious and threatening. Eventually, I'd like to have both at my disposal, but I guess I'm looking to start with the revolver. Does anyone have opinions on the best place to purchase? Being in Pennsylvania, there are plenty of gun shows around, so that's where I was going to head.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

My boss carries the bodyguard and she loves it...
BTW her laser gave up after about 4 months... it does have a lifetime warranty but she doesn't want to send it back and be without...

Her husband bought a H&K P2000 SK Sub-Compact 9mm LEM... that model uses a pre-cocked hammer system offers the crisp trigger pull of a single action feel while retaining the double action trigger... of course it cost twice what you gave for your bodyguard

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I asked a cop about this at the courthouse, and it is a crime to even attempt to carry the gun inside. When I walked up and saw the metal detector, I told him I had to go back and store my gun and knife, and he said fine. When I came back through, I asked what would have happened if I tried to come through, and he said confiscation and jail.
We were joking about it, but he said it is a crime to even attempt it.

I do carry my gun on the college campus here, Florida recently eased those restrictions. I also carry my gun on all State Government property (except courthouses), but I got special legal permission to do so. I had to send a request up the proper channels with my request and qualifications, and then the legal department gave me a reluctant approval, which was actually not an approval at all. All it said was, "at this time, there is no legal reason to deny your right to carry." So it was not a denial, which is an approval in my eyes, LOL!

Be careful though.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Resonant

your right... gun shows rock...
but more guns trade hands through private sales and one of the best places to find owners wanting to sell is at the shooting ranges....

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I do the same at the courthouse or the Federal building. I have checked and the only thing that the college can do is to ask me to leave the premisis and come back without the weapon. They can't even expell me without giving me grounds for a lawsuit. The college I attend is downtown in a large city, in a very bad neighborhood. There has been people robbed and women raped in the parking lot at night. When I leave at 10:00 PM there are people waiting for me at the door to the parking lot, several of them are faculty, sometimes including the Dean of Students.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I get that a lot outside of work also. People requesting me to accompany them to their cars and such.

I don't let anyone at work know that I carry, even though I have permission, because I don't want any office murmurs, and I don't want any disgruntled employee targeting me first, and I don't want a stampede to my office at every sign of trouble, LOL!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

I like revolvers because they are easier to handle then a
semi-automatic.I have a .357 Ruger SP101 and a little
.38 that I keep in my purse.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Youve got yourself a proper Gun there Grandad.

No need for all this fandangling high tec weaponry, its all about the old school. (although i've always been partial to the .50 cal Sniper)

Living in England sucks
cant even carry a fixed blade

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
No need for all this fandangling high tec weaponry, its all about the old school. (although i've always been partial to the .50 cal Sniper)
Living in England sucks
cant even carry a fixed blade

Damn shame. My favorite rifle is an Enfield Mk IV .303 British. I own three of them. With it, if I can see it I can hit it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
aye so many guns so little money

love to have a .357 and one of those newer judges.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The best argument against a six-(maybe only five) shooter is:
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
Bang!
CLICK! (Time to reload. Is that a swift process or one filled with potential clumsiness of loose bullets or misaligned gang loaders?)

A standard auto today, of about that same caliber, will hold more than twice that many bullets and a new clip can be inserted in mere seconds. There is no contest. When the hordes come, have an auto. Give the revolver to the wife.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I am a wife that is why I have a revolver!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

My buddy recently bought a Smith and Wesson .500 Revolver.

When the hoards come running, that thing will scare them away. You can look down the barrel and see your maker! Plus, when the bullets run out, it is about like a baseball bat!

Not all revolvers are for the wife.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

My buddy recently bought a Smith and Wesson .500 Revolver.

When the hoards come running, that thing will scare them away. You can look down the barrel and see your maker! Plus, when the bullets run out, it is about like a baseball bat!

Not all revolvers are for the wife.

True, but that first shot from that ridiculous gun had better be on target. Recovery to target for the second shot will take awhile. If the other other guy has a 9mm auto, for example, he will be able to make a sieve of your friend. Less recoil to recover to the target, and no long revolver trigger pull to pull the gun off the target again. Your friend ain't gonna have time to cock it for any of those other shots, you known.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Not that you or I will ever be that good but....

Practice practice practice.
And he was accurate too.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

As to speed shooting with a six-shooter
www.youtube.com...
It does take practice

I just saw someone also posted this video, Sorry

edit on 6-10-2011 by oldshooter1979 because: needed to be edited

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by oldshooter1979

As to speed shooting with a six-shooter
www.youtube.com...
It does take practice

Let's get real. The average person is not going to be able to buy that much ammo, find a place to shot or afford to go to a range. It just ain't gonna happen. You guys are talking more or less about trick shooting.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
For my wife, I've been having trouble deciding what to get her for probably over a year now.
The only gun she has shot is a .22 S&W pistol and I don't get her to the range as much as I should.
I want her to have something small enough for the purse and I had my mind set on something like a keltec .380...
but I keep wondering if a revolver would be better for its simplicity. I don't want to get her something too
intimidating with the kick since she doesn't get out to practice much but it needs to be a .380 to 9mm at least.

Personally I like the autos better because of accuracy with a double/single but I just don't know what to do here.
Any advice on what to get her would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Great thread GrandpaDave! Should a hand gun automatically be the best option for home defense as well as self defense? I've noticed members here seem to have a wide variety of opinions about what gun is best.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Thestargateisreal

I personally think a shotgun is best for home defense.
If you don't have any guns yet though, I would start out with a rifle, then pistol, and then shotgun.
Thats just my opinion though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join