It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping it simple.... Revolver's

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
When it comes to plug and play... point and click...easiest to use firearm for self defence... it doesn't get any easier than the good ole fashioned revolver...

The LeMat Revolver, an unusual revolver from the American Civil War era with 9 revolving chambers firing bullets and a center shotgun barrel firing lead shot.

I get a lot of people ask me for advice about a home defence gun... My first question is always... Have you had any training... no... do you have the time and money to get training... not really... well then you need a revolver...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/244edabef248.jpg[/atsimg]

My Dan Wesson Large frame in 44 mag

My usual advice is to buy a .357.... Chrome or stainless... the reasons are many... not only will it shoot the reigning king of one shot stop bullets... the 125 grain semi jacketed hollow points... but it also gives you the entire range of .38's special +p ++p and as it was built for the .357 ... both the frame and crane can safely handle the higher pressures

Chrome Colt Python 357 2inch barrel

ease of use it the big factor... just point and pull the trigger...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72c72579fd35.jpg[/atsimg]

No magazines to load... no slide to rack...no safety to flick off... and you can still add goodies if you want too...

The Smith & Wesson's Performance Center is producing the Model 327 TRR8. The “TRR” stands for “Tactical Rail Revolver”, and the “8” refers to the capacity

While other calibers are available... I recommend the .357 because not only is it a good self defence round it is also capable of taking deer sized game... not only are their hundreds of factory loaded rounds for this gun .357 shooter have a plethora of hand-loading options too...

Since so many varying factors apply to make the results of hand-loading good, indifferent, or disastrous, neither Shooting Times nor I can be responsible for results obtained by the reader. I can only say that these loads have been safe and useful in my guns.

.357 Light Loads
Bullet (Grs.) (Type) Velocity (fps)
Lyman 158-gr 358156 5.3 Unique 900
Lyman 150-gr 357446 hp 5.0 5066 950
Lyman 170-gr 358429 3.5 Bullseye 850
150-gr. swaged half jacket 5.0 Unique 900
.357 Medium Loads
Bullet (Grs.) (Type) Velocity(fps)
Lyman 158-gr 358156 13.5 2400 1200
Lyman 150-gr. 358156 HP 13.5 2400 1250
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 7.0 Unique 1250
Lyman 170-gr 358429 6.0 Unique 1150
Lyman 158-gr 357466 5.0 Red Dot 1000
Lyman 158-gr 357466 12.0 4759 1250
150-gr swaged half jacket 7.5 Unique 1300
.357 Heavy Loads
Bullet (Grs.) (Type) Velocity(fps)
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 15.5 2400 1500
Lyman 158-gr 358156 15.0 2400 1450
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 15.0 4227 1400
Lyman 158-gr 158156 8.0 Unique 1400
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 14.0 Sharpshooter 1600
Lyman 158-gr 357466 14.5 2400 1450
Lyman 170-gr 358429 14.5 2400 1400
Lyman 170-gr 358429 13.5 H2400 1350
150-gr swaged half jacket 14.5 2400 1400

Currently there are 70 new Modles of .357 Magnum Revolvers
made today...from the Ruger GP-100 Double Action Revolver... to the Uberti 1873

for a novice you want a double action revolver... what that means is when you pull the trigger the gun goes boom...
a single action means you have pull back the trigger with your thumb to shoot...just like the old cowbows did in the old western movies... might be cool to play cowboy... but to "Keep it simple" you want a double action

custom engraved Colt SAA

While it might be cool to own an auto loader... the simple fact is... if you don't have the time and money to receive professional training in its use and practice practice practice... your much better off with a good old fashioned revolver... and no one ever said a revolver cant be cool

Smith & Wesson's Model 460XVR™ has the highest muzzle velocity of any production revolver on earth. The Model 460XVR™ is so revolutionary that it required an entirely new designation...XVR, X-treme Velocity Revolver

edit on 6-10-2011 by GrandpaDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Although I do own several revolvers, modern automatics have surpassed any advantage revolvers held over them. Fact is, a well maintained and cleaned modern combat automatic like the Glock is as reliable as any revolver and unlike a revolver the most common malfunctions associated with automatics can be cleared in a second or less from a practiced hand (misfeeds and stovepipes). A mechanical malfunction with a revolver, OTOH, is never an easy fix.

Additionally, you don’t need money to get good with a pistol … any pistol. All you need is time and lots of dry firing (which only harms rimfires).

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

Love the LeMat! Wasn't it a 16ga shotgun for the center barrel? My first handgun, that wasn't one of my dads, Was a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I still have my Redhawk next to the night stand. Revolers have been over looked for some time, I will always have one.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I will agree with you one the issue repair... a modern revolver is every bit as complex as grandfather clock... most auto loaders can be field repaired... but it takes a trained gunsmith like myself to fix a revolver... however there are no misfeeds... misfires yes... but that is due to bad ammo... just pull the trigger again and the cylinder with index and another round... you have to rack the slide on an auto loader to do that... "KISS" Keeping it simple....

yes I love my Ruger P944 But I have trained with it... shoot about 500 rounds per month with it... I know it inside and out... But I still recommend a revolver to someone who doesn't want to do all that... and still wants a good durable handgun for protection...

My daily carry a Ruger P944 .40 cal... the Model P94 the extra 4 makes it the stainless version

BTW the Gen 4 Glocks still haven't addressed the mag spring problems but at least the sent out a fix protocol... the Gen 3 models suffer from frame torquing... don't add tac lights or lasers to gen 3...

in the .40 and 10 mm models they suggest going to a duel recoil springs but still only offer them new with a single spring... dont buy into the glock hype... there good... but not great

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by oldshooter1979

Love the LeMat! Wasn't it a 16ga shotgun for the center barrel? My first handgun, that wasn't one of my dads, Was a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I still have my Redhawk next to the night stand. Revolers have been over looked for some time, I will always have one.

The LeMat revolver was a .42 or .36 caliber cap & ball black powder 16 gauge smoothbore barrel capable of firing buckshot... highly prized by collectors as it was issued to Confederate States of America troops...

BTW my wile loves her .41 mag redhawk and keeps it in her nightstand
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1232482d03db.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread!

Interesting this should come up.

My folks had rifles and shot guns. I learned to shoot them properly as a kid.

As an adult I find myself in need of a handgun and have been looking around. I never messed with handguns as a kid.

The array of handguns with all the bells and whistles is staggering!

I am going to a couple local ranges (attached to gun shops) to learn how to deal with a handgun properly, and to fire lots of small arms. Only way to know what I feel comfortable with.

But I am seriously thinking revolver, perhaps a restored vintage one.

Once I get the gun. you can bet I will be practicing with it every week. The gun that's dirty or that you don't know how to shoot is worse than useless.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I disagree with your statement that adding tactical lights/lasers to a Gen3 Glock causes torquing. That issue is caused by the mounting set screw being too tight. Back up off of the screw a little bit and you're good to go. It's a polymer frame. You can't crank that screw down to 600 ft/lbs or else it *will* bind.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

right now revolvers are out of fashion...
that's good for you because there going cheaper then ever....

I bought another Dan Wesson at a gun show from $250 bucks...

All the Colt models still command high prices... but hey their not the only game in town right

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by netwarrior

I disagree with your statement that adding tactical lights/lasers to a Gen3 Glock causes torquing. That issue is caused by the mounting set screw being too tight. Back up off of the screw a little bit and you're good to go. It's a polymer frame. You can't crank that screw down to 600 ft/lbs or else it *will* bind.

So I didn't have to use a cheater bar to mount that Veradin green laser... D`oh

Seriously that was then this is now... laser and tachlights get smaller and smaller everyday...
the new ones don't cause the problems we had... FYI Glock does condition and resell their Gen 3's I don't remember who they use for an outlet but you can get them

but I've never been a fan of poly framed guns... regardless of who makes it

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I owned a gen 1 Glock 19 and sold it years ago and recently bought a gen 3 19.
I never considered looking into probs the gun might have.
Now I know frame torque might be a problem if I mount some of that sexy hardware that they show in those YouTube videos.
Funny thing is I never felt the need to put a position indicator on my defensive tools, but hey if the kids like how it looks.

Anyway back on topic, I do have a Ruger Vaquero in 44 Mag.
I got it grandfathered to me from my Dad for Xmas years back.
I take it out periodically when I feel like burning alot of powder and putting pounds of lead downrange!

Going from that single loader/single action to a modern pistol is a culture shock.

I still practice a quickdraw thumb palm fan and see if I can get 3 in a second, usually don't...
But it is fun!
Once again good article.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

to those who dont know... this is what a Ruger Vaquero looks like

I was just reading the Vaquero came out in limited production in 45 lc and 44-40... for the cowboy action shooters market... man would I love to get my hands on the 45 lc version

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is my everyday carry weapon.

A friend of mine modified a calculator case into a break away holster that holds 2 mags.
After 7 years of going to college at night, nobody ever asked why I wore a calculator case on my belt, but took my calculator out of my backpack.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I love wheel guns.

When I was younger I was all about the tacti-cool nonsense and my collection exploded with high capacity, railed, night-sighted EBP's.

Then my father gave me one of his old police revolvers. I tossed it in the safe and didnt really give it any thought.

Then, being low on auto calibers with an IDPA match hours away I just grabbed it out of the safe, holstered it and figured "what the hell" and used it.

At the time not being a wheel man and having no practice with that specific revolver my score was poor but I was unintentionally adopted into a tiny IDPA wheelgunner fraternity. Out of 120 people we were the only 6 with revolvers. They shared moon clip techniques and loading suggestions and stories about their guns. A couple of them were also cowboy action shooters.

I love everything about revolvers now. I only own a few in comparison to my autos but I've plenty of life left to acquire more. At home out in the fields it's usually a revolver I carry on my hip. Plenty for any varmints I come across back there and there's this sense in my mind that the revolver is a real working gun where when I carry an auto I always feel the urge to coddle and protect it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Jim... Back when you were in collage they called a calculator an abacus...

Golck 26 AKA Baby glock... 10 rounds of 9 mm....

nice but remember this thread is all about "KISS"

I had a S&W 19 1 7/8 inch... 6 rounds of .357 than fit in my front pocket... was also had the worst recoil of any gun I ever shot... tiny rounded grip and ultra short barrel... nearly twisted right out of my grip... but that ten foot fireball coming out the end made it way cool to shoot

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I use my DW to shoot the Wyoming Steel challenge...
nothing feels so satisfying as to hear the ring of a steel plate falling over...

Yeah I got my autoloaders too.. but there's a soft spot in my heart for the wheelguns

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

No, I graduated in 2008 at the age of 43. The problem with the KISS principal here is that they searched my backpack occasionaly and even patted me down, but, they never touched that calculator case.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I graduated in 2008 at the age of 43.

good for you...
Ya know all I lack to finish my masters to to write my thesis.... and I'm 50...

look out youngins we old guys are gonna rule the world someday... oh wait... we already do...

I never had anyone find that little model 19 on me either... of course CCW or open carry no one really pays any attention to me... unless I do have a hog leg strapped on

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandpaDave
look out youngins we old guys are gonna rule the world someday... oh wait... we already do...

I never had anyone find that little model 19 on me either... of course CCW or open carry no one really pays any attention to me... unless I do have a hog leg strapped on

I have my conceled permit and an armed security license, but, that doesn't do me any good on a college campus. I just started back for my Master's last August and still have the same rig. I walk through the metal detector and then show the guard my key ring that is clipped on a belt loop right next to the case. No problem so far.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

GrandpaDaddyBareDave,

I went and shot the new SandW BodyGuard .380 this past weekend. Wife hated it. Too much kick, too small a gun, and a very long trigger pull. Laser too week to use at 50 feet in daylight, so no help there. She wound up taking my Bersa .380 (which I loved
) and now I have the BodyGuard.

I don't like the long, stiff trigger pull, but I have to admit the gun is very accurate at 50 feet for such a small gun. It conceals in a regular pants pocket, so I have been alternating between my under-arm holster and my regular pants pocket.

So, mixed reviews on the Bodyguard, but overall, it looks like I'm gonna keep it. If nothing else, having the .380 power in such a small frame is worth the money.

It did load and fire smoothly and accurately, so no complaints there. Just gonna take a little more practice on my part to overcome the effects of that long stiff trigger.

On another note:
Walmart's "TulAmmo" is the worst brand I have ever bought. 2 misfires in my first 50. 2 misfires from the guy to my right from his first 50. 3 misfires from another guy down range from his first 50. All different calibers and boxes. Also, the rounds seemed very light on powder, and they never wanted to chamber the last 2 rounds from the clip. The Remington Shells had no problems whatsoever, so it wasn't the weapons, just the Ammo. I will never buy TulAmmo again. $3 extra for the Winchester is well worth the upgrade.
edit on 6-10-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Be careful. I'd hate to see your life turned upside-down for something like that.

I know tens of thousands of carriers wander into post offices everyday to check their box or get stamps or whatever without giving it a second thought but having some paranoid nut freakout because they caught a glimpse of some leather or a suspicious print and there's going to be a #storm rolling in.

Everybody from the post master to the clerk at the counter to all but one customer could be totally cool with it but that doesnt change the law and the law is whats going to f you in the a should the worst happen.

Same deal with all "gun-free" zones.
edit on 6-10-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join