It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS - Do you hate this "1% evil person"?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

You might want to rethink Paris Hilton as an example.

She is neither dumb or lazy.

She turned herself into a brand and successfully marketed that brand.

All done AFTER grandpa cut her off from the family fortune for being dumb and lazy.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by GLontra

#2. Most inherited wealth does not survive a full generation. People with no work ethics and street smarts do not keep their money long.

Com'on man. You know this is not true. Go to the Hamptons and see how many wealthy people just inherited a fortune from their fathers, who inherited it from the grandfather, and there it goes. They do nothing, their life is just parties, sex orgies, coc aine and traveling around the world...

There are thousands of very rich people whose fortunes come from their greatgrandparents, it's the third generation of parasites...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
reply to post by GLontra

You might want to rethink Paris Hilton as an example.

She is neither dumb or lazy.

She turned herself into a brand and successfully marketed that brand.

All done AFTER grandpa cut her off from the family fortune for being dumb and lazy.

She had that "brand" just because of her family name, and because she was a little rich kid.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

She had the brand because the 99% couldn't get enough of her.

Plain and simple.

She (or somebody around her) realized this and turned it into a profit generating business.

If none of the 99% were glued to her every move, she wouldn't be making millions now would she...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

The wealth that does survive, does so because of work ethic and continuing efforts.

I'm not denying the huge advantage to having a few million or billion of seed money! BUT, I am saying that the money is not enough. It doesn't last. The next generations have to continue to be savvy, and work hard, and grow the wealth or it evaporates.

The literature is out there. I can't go pull it right now, but it is a very small percentage of wealth that survives from generation to generation.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Gotta love the OP calling someone who doesn't start their own business a "lazy ass"...

...Then goes on about his recent military involvement...

This millionaire web-firm business owner thinks that's not a very smart argument.

People working 8-14 hour days are not to be labeled "lazy" by someone who does nothing productive for this section of the planet's general population and leeches of of their tax dollars while pushing fascist corporate interest overseas, understand? Please "can it", you're acting like a fool.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Partisanity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partisanity
Gotta love the OP calling someone who doesn't start their own business a "lazy ass"...

...Then goes on about his recent military involvement...

I never implied someone who doesn't start a business as being lazy. My point is that there are too many people complaining in WOS who complain, when there are solutions right at their fingertips. Nothing is stopping them from starting a business like this woman did. That's my point. I have no idea what you're implying about military service.

This millionaire web-firm business owner thinks that's not a very smart argument.

Good job on your success! I hope you get to keep every penny you've earned and that it's not ripped away from you in nasty taxes!

People working 8-14 hour days are not to be labeled "lazy" by someone who does nothing productive for this section of the planet's general population and leeches of of their tax dollars while pushing fascist corporate interest overseas, understand? Please "can it", you're acting like a fool.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Partisanity because: (no reason given)

Uhhhhhh, that's my point exactly. Too many leeches....

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

She applied for a student loan and went back to school. The first year, she and her girls lived on welfare, food stamps, and odd jobs, but the second year, an opportunity presented itself

So where would she be without that first year of welfare?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Yes they hate anyone that can make it without assistance from the Gooberment

Just read their signs
Free everything of course the rich will need to pay, but what happens when they run out of money.

$20 hour Job
Free housing
free education
But wait why would you need education if your given free housing and a $20 a hour job.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
1% evil person? You are highly misinformed.

I don't believe anyone is hating anybody.
Certainly not me.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Student loans... welfare... and food stamps... oh my!

I thought we want to get away from these "social" programs?

Make her pay up front for the education, beg for the food and forget about the WELFARE.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
The 1% is old money. Being a successfull entrepeneur certainly would not qualify for these ranks. Money creates money, and the 1% is good at it - not like it's hard anyway. Once you have the money to play monopoly and the support from powerful relationsships it gets very easy.
And I suggest noone should hate anyone because of wealth. Classwarfare is just crazy stupid. Regulations that break the cycle money=power=economic power= more money=more power are totally sufficiant to change the current status.

Forgot to add. Here in Switzerland she would have to pay back all the social support she has gotten so far. Because we have that clause that requires you to do so by law, if you win in a lotterie (this one is explicit in the lawbook
) or get very wealthy by other means.
edit on 7-10-2011 by CriticalCK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

you totally didn't just use a woman who survived on welfare to piss all over the people who get taxed to pay for that....did you?

I mean I love a success story as much as the next person and yah I'm happy for her but where this gets a bit FUBAR is when you try to use this success story to piss all over the people who's taxed help her achieve her success...

I think you are a bit disillusioned as to what OWS is and who is participating in it...I think you have a skewed view that its entitled kids and hippies...probably because of anon and some rather ignorant threads on this forum...

I don't see what you are attempting to do here? Are you trying to justify your skewed views towards a whole movement of a BROAD RANGE of people whose concerns you don't even understand (yet you would like to think you do, it makes your position on the issue easier to swallow)...

Are you trying to blur the lines between obviously corrupt bankers and politicians and a fiat currency with this innocent lady who just so happened to be lucky enough to actually make it with her business? Are you implying that its the "laziness" of the 99% that keeps them from her same outcome? Even though their lack of laziness was what ultimately helped her get through to that success?

Get off it...people around here are too smart to buy into that nonsense your preaching...its a dead rhetoric from a dead generation where "hard work" was actually a factor in your "success"...not the case anymore so stop trying to live in the 50's

Why don't you go down to the protest put your money where your mouth is and tell those union workers their nothing but lazy asses who could make it to the 1% if they but tried just a little harder...

I don't think people understand that money in excess doesn't just BUY STUFF...it buys INFLUENCE it buys CONTROL of people who would rather live their own MODEST lives and be left the hell alone...

the 1% everyone HATES is the 1% that can afford to buy our politicians and judges to pass laws that make it a crime to drink unpasteurized milk because they own a pasteurized milk business....

The 1% everyone hates are the ones that can afford to lobby and influence our election process and elect puppet presidents who have their corporate interests in mind...even if it sends us to war for the next 10+ years at the expense of the countless lives of people who would otherwise rather be left alone and live their modest lives in the content of their own independence....

I'm sick of the BS rhetoric around here that the OWS people are entitled lazy asses...the only lazy ass thing I see is generalizing a whole movement/protest into one stereotypical group of people just so you don't have to intellectually THINK about all the reasons why people are PISSED OFF...you can just call em lazy and be done with it....NOW that IS LAZY...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I don't buy it. When I see the image below, I shake my head. Really, higher education is a "right"? Since when? I went into the military to get my electronics training, because my parents were too damn poor to pay for college. Also, when I see the amount her parents are in debt, it makes me sick. Did they honestly spend $120,000 on her education? My son is in college. He's going to an IN-STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE to do his core classes. It's about $1,800 per semester. Why couldn't she do that? Why do people feel they're entitled to a free higher education, out of state, and all the free room and board?

It's obvious with that price tag, she went out of state. That being said, I find it laughable that she had to pay out of state prices, but she probably supports someone in this country ILLEGALLY getting IN STATE prices. The irony, or is it just a travesty? I don't know.

Regardless, I don't see the calling for a "select 1%". No, I see them cozying up to the to the CP which will make their plight a million times worse. If they're not smart enough to see that, I'm no sure I really care to support their movement.

man this whole post of yours is SOO FULL of assumptions my eyes had a gag reflex reading it...I would be amazed if anyone took what you just said seriously...

As far as your "support" they don't need it, you obviously have your mind "made up" and have resorted to tossing around wild assumptions of people you know absolutely nothing about to justify your weak position on the issue...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
There's nothing wrong with making money or getting rich, one can do that through hard work, smarts and usually a bit of luck along the way. That's fine, most rational people don't begrudge anyone that. Most of the protesters don't begrudge anyone that, so long as they did it for real, good work that generally adds something to society. I know this for a fact because I know some of these protesters and they are not adverse to making money either. Some even have done well in life, I know one guy whose been down there on and off this whole time who is a well paid lawyer who just believes in what's being done. He's not rich, but he's certainly not poor. He's not looking for handouts or to get more money out of this for himself, he's just a believer in the idea that everyone else should get a fair shake.

That's what the protest is about, getting a fair shake and not being crushed by people like hedge fund managers who contribute nothing to the economy and, through tricks of the system, just accumulate vast amounts of wealth for themselves and for those few big institutional investors whose money they get to play with. They want to stop guys like the just ousted former CEO of Hewlett Packard from getting $25 million golden parachutes on his way out the door when he has brought that company to the brink of ruin in his short tenure there. They don't want guys like Michael Ovits getting $80 million in his severance package from Disney for spending all of 6 months as the #2 guy there and basically sitting on his ass the whole time (this was way back in the 90's when that happened). Where's the fairness in any of that? It's insanity, meanwhile these same companies are often laying people off left and right, while these big execs go home richer than ever for failing.
edit on 10/7/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
never mind
edit on 7/10/11 by RogerT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
OP you're trolling right?

Using a woman that was depending on welfare to make her fortune as an example why she shouldn't pay for other peoples welfare.

Dude seek help or educate yourself it's just embarrassing.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
yes

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
wait can someone explain why the 1% are hated?

They are wealthy and powerful.

Get special tax cuts or find loopholes that allow them to pay NO taxes.

They make huge profits off the blood and sweat of the poor.

what else?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join