It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Escaped' Genetically Engineered Canola Growing Outside of Established Cultivation Regions Across No

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Most people won't think anything about this article, but I believe it is something to be alarmed about. If there is such genetically altered plants growing outside of a controlled atmosphere, what would be the repercussions to the the current ecosystem surrounding these plants?
www.sciencedaily.com...

A study published by the online journal PLoS ONE reports that genetically engineered canola endowed with herbicide resistance have been found growing outside of established cultivation regions along roadsides across North Dakota. These "escaped" plants were found state-wide and accounted for 45% of the total roadside plants sampled.

I also found this article from GMO Compass, which also speaks about herbicide resistant crops.
www.gmo-compass.org...

I suppose there is not much to be concerned about right now, but as with a lot of things, if this goes unnoticed and not dealt with, what would the out come be? Anyone remember that old movie creepshow where the character Jordy Verril (played by Stephen King) found a meteor out on his farm, and it turned him into a plant? I couldn't help but think about that movie haha....but seriously, I was wondering what others think about this. Thank you, and good day.
I AM SORRY, I FOUND A PREVIOUS THREAD ABOUT THIS SUBJECT, AND I SUPPOSE THIS WOULD BE CONSIDRED A DOUBLE THREAD. PLEASE DELETE IF DEEMED NECESSARY...www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6-10-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I don't think this can be discussed enough, and/or too many times.

Here's the first "little guy" who took monsanto to task for those freaking seeds:
www.percyschmeiser.com...

He's since become an international hero.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
India is sueing Monsanto for bio piracy, whatever that means....its about time....
These resistant crop strays along roadsides may have been spread by the farmers hauling their crop to the elevator.
The logging industry spread bark beetles all along the logging roads and highways directly to the saw mills in BC.
It became obvious to me after some years.(i was a salvage logger)
The idiot who brought scotch broom to our country should be shot, as it has become enodemic and a weed pest here.
The world is becomming infected in every country that engages iin international trade of any sort.
Poisonous spiders come out of bannanas that get imported etc.
People even dump strange pets they have bought into the wilds.
This is not always bad, but generally speaking it will deteriorate the envirnment over the long haul i think.
There are many examples of both flora and fauna getting out to someplace else and causing trouble in the eco system.
Kudzu (a vine that runs rampant in the US) is a good example.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

My great fear of GMO and its slightly NWO doom scent...

I fear those foolish scientists are going to cause a huge barren wasteland like in some 80's dystopian B-movie.. It is obviously a huge realistic threat.. Imagine if a few gmo's (corn, soy, potato, wheat, etc) took over, eliminated evrything else, left residue in the soil that would kill seedlings, and then the gmo's develop a flaw, whither and die. and then no food!!!!!!!!!!!11

top topics

join