It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, Steve Jobs is dead... but what did he really give us?!?!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

To me, He's just another dead billionaire who could've invested his money towards a better life for humanity rather than fueling their materialistic needs.
Don't get me wrong, it's his money, He could do whatever he wishes to do with it. But it pisses me off when some of those materialistic airheads on TV make statements such as "He changed the world" or "He changed everyone's lives".
Really? Changed everyone's lives? with iPads? iPods? iPhones?
Yeah...I may have some respect for his entrepreneurship but i cannot stand his zombie-like cult.
Bunch of spoiled little brats getting an orgasm every time a new iPhone or iDogsh*t comes out and camp their butts outside apple stores just to fulfill their materialistic desires.
Steve Jobs is dead...Booo F'n Hooo.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Staroth
I think the purpose behind the name iPhone and iPad are singular, meaning - it's all about you, the individual. As in it's yours, made for you and about you, it's what your doing. Hence the "i".
edit on 6-10-2011 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

I think it has something more to do with this:

The All Seeing Eye Watching Us All

Apple's iPhone Tracking
www.pcmag.com...

Is your iPhone tracking you? Does Apple know where you've been for the last year? Does it really matter? All these questions have been swirling around the blogosphere this week after two researchers published a blog post that said Apple is gathering your location via the iPhone and other devices and storing it in an insecure file.

The revelation prompted a flood of coverage, calling into question how much Apple really knows about your whereabouts. It appears, however, that this news was actually first reported last year, and Apple isn't the only company collecting data in this manner.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
is it me or is some of these deaths too coincidental? he just happens to step down and die shortly after. and what is it with all the sicknesses i've seen lately with these public people. i truly believe the earth is cleansing itself of the people or should i say reptilian and artificially cloned people. amy winehouse dead. justin beiber got sick. taylor swift sick. sean kingston sick.even loretta lynn got sick. theres even a rumor that gaga died. i truly believe these so called hoaxes are not hoaxes at all. i watched the movie the sixth man and it showed how they can make a clone in no time!!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12 stranded dna
is it me or is some of these deaths too coincidental? he just happens to step down and die shortly after. and what is it with all the sicknesses i've seen lately with these public people. i truly believe the earth is cleansing itself of the people or should i say reptilian and artificially cloned people. amy winehouse dead. justin beiber got sick. taylor swift sick. sean kingston sick.even loretta lynn got sick. theres even a rumor that gaga died. i truly believe these so called hoaxes are not hoaxes at all. i watched the movie the sixth man and it showed how they can make a clone in no time!!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I don't agree with everything he did, as is the case with any human being to ever live. Just as those who know me and my own much less storied and more humble life won't agree with everything I've ever done when I'm gone someday. The same can be said of everyone, from the poorest to the wealthiest.

But at the end of the day, when the history of the modern computing age is written, two names will be at the top of the first page: Bill Gates and Steve Jobs.

He was around a long time and involved in tech long before the era of ubiquitous gadgetry. Without him we might not have realized the importance of the mouse as early as we did (Macintosh,) and he was responsible for one of the first successful (because it was fairly user friendly) computer products (the Apple II,) which became a template for the basic desktop computer that in some ways is still influential today.

And computers have indeed helped people to expand their knowledge, horizons, and opportunities, especially in developing countries. Having quicker, easier access to computing by it being handheld may on one hand result in less communal interaction, but on the other hand also brings about more personal empowerment... at least potentially.

All of that being said, was he perfect? No. He was human. He wasn't a saint. He did things I disagree with and have ethical issues with. But again, I can say that about anyone. People can say it about me, too, and about you. That doesn't diminish the positive contributions he made in my opinion, even if the motivations for doing so weren't necessarily pure.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

How very obtuse.

I'm an artist, I couldn't do what I do without a mac, thus I have a huge appreciation for the guy who made them what they are.
I like that things in Science Fiction that were impossible just a decade ago, like face to face chatting, is now a reality through an inovation he produced.

If he never existed would someone have come up with the same technology?
Probably... but he did exist, it was him that did it. You have to give credit where its due.

It one thing to think of something, another to make it a reality.

Do I think its silly how overboard some people that never knew the guy are acting? sure, but so what. Lucky for us if we ever get such respect when we pass.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

You're blaming the human condition on a man.

Do you think the bad things in the world would not exist if it werent for Steve Jobs? Or any person who heads a company that builds innovative technology?

That's just how humans are, blaming the man is futile.... yelling at a glass of water for every drop in it, is futile. The fluidity of the way things are is not caused by a man, or a technology...

it's just how humans are. like it or now, history will never be re-written nor will the future change.

Sure you don't have to like the way things are, but you cannot change it.

Like life, it is followed by death. Yelling at each year that passes because it drags you closer to death, is futile.

Ultimately, life is futile...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
He made it possible for me to get into exploring graphics. I made my first icons on a Mac. Point and Click became part of my vocabulary.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
As a human courtesy, could you at least wait until the body is cold before disparaging this man and his work? How would your family feel if it were you?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimnuggits
As a human courtesy, could you at least wait until the body is cold before disparaging this man and his work? How would your family feel if it were you?

Cold like his slave labor supporting heart?

I would never force people to sign non-suicide agreements after 16 people commit suicide making my product.

I would also pay them more than $130 a month while posting them up in 10x7ft rooms with several other cell mates.
edit on 6-10-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The Spirit of Innovation.

Didn't give anything to charity, but he gave us that, you know the "American Dream", may it too live again, in service to self, others, and to the world at large.

I'd say "may he rest in peace" but the spirit of innovation never stops creating.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

Ironic how those who espouse compassion for humanity are usually the same who deny it for those they deem unworthy of the same. Judge AND jury...?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimnuggits

Ironic how those who espouse compassion for humanity are usually the same who deny it for those they deem unworthy of the same. Judge AND jury...?

He is dead, what does he need humanity for?

Its not like he had any in life . . .

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Ah, the wounds continue to be salted. While I commend your sentiments and freedom of speech, I condemn your timing. I can't think of one iconic socially changing person in our modern human history who has not been apart of mistakes small and grande. Nothing new here. And nothing you say here deprives the man of being an amazing human being in his own right regardless of his flaws. I can agree that I think the praises he gets are a bit steep but he was more thana trend maker. He played part in both business and technological improvements like so many before him and so many after him will. With fame comes consensus of notoriety and achievements both good and bad. Ya just gotta love those who would kick a person down when they can't go any further.

Keep on rockin' in the free world,
Flint2011

link   
What did Steve Jobs give us? Currently Apple employs about 50,000 people. Lets say they have an average annual salary of $50K each. That's 2.5 Billion dollars per year in salaries alone. Steve Jobs built a company that is putting food on the table and roofs over the heads of 50,000 families and providing them with two and a half billion dollars to spend every year.

By that measure alone, Steve Jobs did a lot.

link   
reply to post by Odessy

I like that things in Science Fiction that were impossible just a decade ago, like face to face chatting, is now a reality through an inovation he produced.

Telephones that allowed face to face chatting were available in the late 1980s. IBM and others had telephones that would allow you to actually see the other person. The picture refreshed about every ten or fifteen seconds. It was revolutionary given the available technology. By 1992 they had color full motion videophones available.

edit on 6-10-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

It is not for you or I to judge, but to wish him a peaceful journey.

It is not what other people do or do not, but how we react to it that builds our character.

What you say now is not about him, but about you.
edit on 6-10-2011 by jimnuggits because: that one thing

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I never understand celebrity/rich people worship. He accomplished a lot in a materialistic sense in a materialistic world but it always baffles and disgusts me how people will care, be sadder and talk more about some celebrity they never met dying than say like.. their next door neighbor. Pretty sad really, especially considering many of the same people here on ATS supposedly hate this materialistic world and the rich people who "own" us, yet they're so upset steve jobs, a guy selfishly hording billions of dollars, died? Does not compute.

I'm sorry but there's a bit of a difference between someone like a Gandhi and someone who made billions of dollars selling you neat toys and gadgets and crushed plenty of small businesses in the process. As many have pointed out he also did some things of questionable ethics, this is no saint. Furthermore, it's not even like he actually personally invented the ipods, iphones and what not people keep giving him all the credit for! He paid people to invent stuff, he didn't invent jack# himself and doesn't deserve credit as some great inventor.

It is simply pathetic to see how brainwashed people are, thinking that it is reasonable to attribute all of apples products solely to steve jobs when it was the hard working smart people who actually devised and tested the things and then the underpaid slave workers who put them together All jobs does is give his thumbs up to the projects, do his little speech to announce it when it's done and then collect a ridiculous portion of the profits and take all the credit, apparently. Business tycoons don't deserve so much worship.. this is how we got in this situation of the rich having all the power and money in the first place.... doh.
edit on 6-10-2011 by darkest4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It's because of Steve Jobs that we have computers that are this easy use and allow us to communicate and share ideas easily and freely.

When compared to similar famous figures who have died and got similar attention... Steve Jobs changed our world as much, if not more then any of them. Practically everything that you do on a personal computer is due to the innovation that came from Apple. It's actually rare that famous people die and then feel like they directly impacted my life.

Steve Jobs was the mind that created simple things such as computer fonts. He's the one that made that possible according to the video below, which in itself is an amazing speech.

To insinuate that the use of "i" in Apple products is somehow meant to imply individuality or whatever, is ridiculous! It's because of Steve that you are using a visual operating system instead of dos, and it's the reason that you are speaking to us on this online community. People use computers for all sorts of things... including to make plans together and organize gatherings with people.

If you use a mac, it's also unlikely that you'll be spending hours in front of it gaming
Apple only recently got into games through their iOS, which is really a direct result of the developers who created some awesome games, again not Steve Jobs' fault... but I'm glad he made it possible for regular people to build apps and potentially make money. He also made that possible with iTunes. Local bands are now able to distribute their albums without spending a ton of money on making CDs. It's also great for indi-band to make easy money!

I don't believe it's fair to blame Steve Jobs for the environmental impacts of the technology used to make computers. Sure computers parts manufacturing can be a dirty business, but so is everything else you do... every aspect of a car pollutes, your home pollutes, you pollute the environment your CO2, the company you work for pollutes. Not to mention that Steve Jobs didn't invent the technology behind computers (he was more of a software guy). He did set-up a green program that accepted old macs and iPods and they would recycle them for you. He also made his computers energy efficient... macs save power even between keystrokes. Apple even started to make their computers with aluminum and glass to make them more recyclable. They tried to do the best they could with the demand they had for their products. It's not possible to regulate every aspect of your suppliers business.

If he would not have gotten sick and passed away, I'm sure we would have seen even more great things from Steve that would have made the world a better place.
edit on 6-10-2011 by NWOPrimate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yes, the title of this thread and so soon, is in bad taste.

Apparntly he didn't give to Charity, was an overbearing prick with his staff, but I love him, ya gotta love the guy and his spirit of innovation, his enthusiasm.

Titles like this, as a negative, dancing on a man's grave - it would be funny and absurd, if it wasn't so pathetic. imho.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join