It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, Steve Jobs is dead... but what did he really give us?!?!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
He gave us very expensive phones. Good thing Bill Gates gave Apple so much cash or there wouldn't be an Apple.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Some of his later innovations were certainly not as "fight the man" as Apple's earlier products, in some cases arguably the reverse.

However, does this mean we should spurn gratitude for those things he *did* give us?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
he gave us the realization that money doesn't give you #.

you are dead when it's your time.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Do me a favor, how many Chinese products do you have around your home? Count them and get back to me.

Who is the hypocrite now?

This is a big problem, not just an apple problem.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Back when their products first came out, unless you had access to a university or corporate mainframe, had ALOT of cash or had the training/skills to build a kit computer your chances of running your own code were limited.

random eg. software which allowed people at HOME to perform orbital mechanics for the lunar missions in the blink of an eye.

This is enormous 'power to the people', Jobs knew it & fought hard for it back then.
edit on 6-10-2011 by naghammadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ooder57

Is the device making your friend respond to it?

Did you say anything to your friend?

If i have a friend who insists on looking at their phone instead of me, I point it out and I threaten to throw the phone.

Your blaming technology for character flaws.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Op is a effing hypocrite!

Sitting behind a computer made in china, trying to call Steve Jobs evil...... whatever.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thesneakiod

Your initial question was basically what did he do that was important to us? And in the above post a huge list of outstanding achievements was put to you. It wasnt good enough, so now for you its the exploitation of workers who make apple products and probably the clothes you're wearing which is the problem.

Well they may be outstanding achievements to you, but to me they mean nothing... How long have humans been around and how long has Apple been around?? We done ok without these items in the past... Yet the outpouring of sympathy towards this man would make you think that he has cured all disease and stopped world hunger?!?

At a guess, i'd say 90% of everything in your house has been made by workers in far off lands in sweatshops for very little money. Your gonna have to make a lot of threads now aren't you?

15 years ago you would have been correct... I was a corporate sell-out, blinded by buzz words, material possessions and climbing the corporate ladder. Luckily I have slowly changed and my outlook has changed. But if you think it’s just Apple I attack you are wrong...

Top Ten Corporate bad guys

Justice for Bhopal? Not a chance

Massive factory farms planned for Britain

My family and I are working towards becoming as close to self sufficient as possible... It’s a long and difficult path but we are on track. We want nothing more to do with this warped society. When we do buy clothes and food we always look for labels that indicate ethical behaviour, Fair trade, freedom foods, rainforest alliance etc...

We are not perfect but at least we are awake and fighting!

And as for social networking sites being a downgrade of personal interaction, I'd like to know another way of having a conversation with someone on the other side of the world, instantly, and for free...

You know what amazes me?? The amount of people who say they have thousands of friends on face book, tweet to people on the other side of the world, yet do not know their own neighbours!!

Maybe, instead of chatting to someone the other side of the world, about minor celebrity scandals, they could have meaningful conversations, and get to know, the people who live in their real life community!!! Who knows, maybe even help them out occasionally.

I am not saying that we should abandon technology altogether, i am not a technophobe, but I do think that the level at which it has now penetrated our lives is too much... its unhealthy and its gone too far.

Apple has done NOTHING for you that is of real substance or use.

Peace

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

No need to name call... I am not a hypocrite... if you had ever read any of my other posts i believe you would see that. To personally attack me is a little childish don’t you think?!?!

I am simply turning their own tools against them...

By the way... my pc is 7 years old and was given to me as a second hand gift!!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Do me a favor, how many Chinese products do you have around your home? Count them and get back to me.

Who is the hypocrite now?

This is a big problem, not just an apple problem.

I can’t find many... read my other posts and you will see that i live a different life to what you may consider "normal"

Please don’t judge me buy your own standards.

edit on 6-10-2011 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Whois Steve Jobs

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.0 Honeycomb

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Because it was the macintosh technology and the invention of the point and click mouse that inspired windows 95.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

You have no idea what my standards are.

But funny how that computer your using is the exception, eh?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Just forget it.

edit on 6-10-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesneakiod

Thats because they probably are? Anyway whats better and easier for playing music on than a ipod?

Iphones and ipods are amazing for their simplicity, people that have them rarely ever change to something else.

No one forces you to buy idevices you know, or to live in a based apple world...but those that do enjoy them.

Is that so wrong?

Yes, the HTC Sensation, Galaxy S2 and the Xperia Arc among others are all easily better than the iphone, theyre plug in and play too and you arent forced to install a program just to copy files.

Youd have to be an idiot to buy any apple product, for example theyve just withdrawn the voice search app from iphones and it will only be available on the newest one.

They are crippling a product to force people to buy a new one and people will do it because the phones arent simple, the people that use them are.

No one in their right mind would take this from any other manufacturer but people are so brainwashed that they will buy slavishly, even when theyre being conned.

Everything about apple is bad, the cult like practices, the anti competitive suing, the treatment of the workers in china who frequently die. Its a disgusting company.

edit on 6-10-2011 by Flyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I have never been very impressed with Apple from the beginning. I was 10 years old when the choice was Apple or TI99/4A or Commodore. I owned both the latter and never an Apple. To me these were "real" computers that allowed flexibility, although they are all laughable today. When the PC came out, I instantly never owned anything else because even with the Mac out with it's pretty UI, it just didn't make sense to someone who already knew about computers. It was too easy, not flexible and it seemed like they cornholed you into thinking one way, their way. Great list - I would like to refute some of them though....

Originally posted by LordGoofus
  • He helped invent the Macintosh, which changed computing forever by introducing the concept of a graphical interface and a mouse. Things that we now take for granted... drag & drop, recycle bin and many other features that today you barely even notice.

• Helped is probably the nicest word. I would use bought, stole or swindled the Mac OS from Xerox instead.

• He helped develop the Apple IIc which was one of the worlds first small form factor computers and started the path towards what we now know as "laptops"....

• Helped again. I would award Wozniac the prize for "helping" though. Jobs was a business shark that took the garage creation public. Without Steve Jobs there to do that, then we would be living in a world of mostly PCs. Oh, wait, we already are.

• Delivered the first printer capable of using Postscript at the same time that Pagemaker was released. Pagemaker was a massive hit with publishers, and Postscript is still used extensively today by graphic designers and publishers (mostly without them even realizing they are using it).
  • He bought Pixar when it was just a fledging company, and turned it into the monster animation studio that it is today. Toy Story? Monsters Inc? Finding Nemo? Wall-E? Cars? all those movies your kids love..thank Steve and his desire for Pixar to become a leading graphical rendering company for that.
  • When he got kicked out of Apple, he ran off and started "NeXT". It was never massively popular with the popular but gained a big following in academic and programming circles due to the systems speed. The worlds first web server and web browser were written on a NeXT box.

• We would have got here (and did) just fine on all of these without him. He was merely a singer in a chorus on all of these

• Although other music players already existed, the iPod forever changed the personal music player landscape and resulted in pretty much all it's competitors copying the design & functionality in one way or another. It was as big a change as moving from "Walkmans" to "Portable CD Players".

• All he created was marketing and a brililant system designed to create an ongoing payment from you to him. The iWhatever are technically inferior to other market offerings. As for the tablet, um, I had a tablet PC 20 years ago...people knew what they were back then. We just didn't have the media shoving it down our throats because there was no App store/iTunes at that time. If they had Angry Birds back then, Apple would never have made it to where they are today.

Steve Jobs was a master of only one thing - convincing the public that it was cool to line his pockets. He did help to lead the way for micropayments, proprietary software that you could only get from him, and being part of a cool club that just costs you a little more. Technically, Apple is a testament to just how dumbed down the American public is and I can pretty much guarantee you that China or India will not care as much about looking cool when we end up working for them in sweat shops.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:12 AM
    link   
    reply to post by nixie_nox

You have no idea what my standards are.

But funny how that computer your using is the exception, eh?

OK so you are allowed to make assumptions and call me a hypocrite... but you don’t like me making assumption about you?!?!

Sorry, remind me, Who's the hypocrite?

And regarding my computer... I have already explained that its 7 years old and second hand. But none the less I am sure that somewhere in its production there was exploited labour and environmental abuse... and I HATE that fact!!!! With a passion... But I still need a computer so I still use it... this does not stop me complaining, lobbying, and trying to make a difference in other ways.

I really don’t know how else to explain it. All these childish comments about everything in my house being made in china... even if they were (which there not) does that mean i should just roll over and except the injustices???
    There are some items that I have had to purchase that are not ethical, for sure, but what option do I have if there is NO alternative??

This is a get out clause use by so many people these days.... "Everything is bad for the environment" and "everything is made with slave labour"

So that it is it?!?! Just give up... just roll over to your masters and be grateful for the scraps they throw your way?!?!

Not for me.

Peace

edit on 6-10-2011 by Muckster because: spelling

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:23 AM
    link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
    reply to post by fatpastyhead

If the *bloke* is dead then why would us discussing his legacy
    have any impact or bother him>>??

The question is not WHAT DID HE DO TOO YOU
    The question is WHAT DID HE REALLY DO FOR YOU!!
    People lived without this s**t for thousands of years whooopeee freakin ding..

What is wrong with the word *bloke*? I live in the UK and that is a normal word to say.

The question is why didn't you bitch about him when he was alive? You had ample opportunity when he was alive but you wait until he is dead.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:00 AM
    link   

Would the word have been that worse off had Steve Jobs decided to become a gardener?

Well then obviously your knowledge of Jobs, and Apple computers is limited to, well, the headline you read announcing his death.

Apple kick started the "pc" industry and was at the forefront of developing new technology, many of the useless gadgets our doctors use, or businesses use to produce the goods you seem to hate, wouldn't be here as early as they were if not for Jobs and his vision.

I agree, we shouldn't ignore the environmental impact, no sir, but the same can be said for any industry, indeed, all industry. But again, those silly scientists working on new systems to repair and avoid the damage being caused are using devices that wouldn't be here if not for Jobs.

And, of course, you wouldn't be here posting your insensitive rant without Jobs.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:28 AM
    link   

edit on 6-10-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

All these people mad at you for pointing out that they support child and slave labor, must be your lucky day.

LoL at all the Apple fan boys crying and calling you a hypocrite this or that, don't sweat it, they will forget all about it as soon as the Jersey Shore reruns come back from commercial

Apple was the most valued company on the stock market, you don't think they could have made almost ANY demands they wanted form their manufacturers?

I hope Steve Jobs has a nice place in hell making his icrap for $130 a month while living in a 10 x 7 cell with four other destitute slaves while his family and friends leap to their deaths because working conditions are so bad.

Burn in HELL on your pile of paper money Steve Jobs
    edit on 6-10-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join