It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find Ocean-Like Water On Comet!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Awesome! Ice-water with the same chemical composition as our oceans on a celestial body like a comet! Scientists have, for the first time, found water like that found in the Earth's oceans on the comet Hartley 2.
www.esa.int...
Herschel spacecraft detected ice-water like our oceans.

Credits: ESA/AOES Medialab; Herschel/HssO Consortium
In this image the inset on the right side shows the image obtained with Herschel’s PACS instrument. The two lines are the water data from HIFI instrument.

"The results show that the amount of material out there that could have contributed to Earth's oceans is perhaps larger than we thought.
Professor Ted Bergin "

The comets come from The Kuiper Belt that is one of the two main reservoirs of comets in the Solar System. Comets like Hartley 2 are believed to have formed here and to have migrated inwards of the inner Solar System. The Oort Cloud, the other main reservoir of comets is located well beyond the outer Solar System.

What huge surprises hide us these still unknown regions?
The unthinkable became real.... LIFE is everywhere.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Nice find - S and F

I am curious if by "same as our ocean" it also includes bacteria / algae etc etc etc.

Day by day we are finding out just how little we actually know.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Exoplanet found = LIFE EVERYWHERE
Ocean possible under ice sheet Europa = LIFE EVERYWHERE!
Water found on mars = LIFE EVERYWHERE!
Water fountains shooting out of young stars = LIFE EVERYWHERE!
Comets with ocean like water found = LIFE EVERYWHERE!

Ect.

LIFE EVERYWHERE is science fiction.. at it's best. A huge jump to make without the actual life from at least a few places out off everywhere on a platter.

I like a little less fiction and a little more science, even if it means not having the answer for some time to come.

They found Ice-water with the same chemical composition as our oceans, not life.

Of any sort.

Yet.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
oh wow,

do you guys think somewhere out there,

theres life (ie, hydrophilic life) living on some comet as it does its orbit/rounds thru solar system(s)?

one thing i notice in the past decade or so, is haleys used to be such a spectacular thing for nasa to cover,

now it all seems hard to get any facts or footage directly thru nasa, the way they used to PR it, comets.. (why?)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

No, not whatsoever. It was a serious OP until the mention of life is everywhere had to throw this into typical CT speculation. If you read the article it's just one little point about the water molecular makeup they are citing.

All comets previously studied have shown deuterium levels around twice that of Earth's oceans.
"Comet Hartley's deuterium-to-hydrogen ratio is almost exactly the same as the water in Earth's oceans,...

All the deuterium and hydrogen in the Universe was made just after the Big Bang, about 13.7 billion years ago, fixing the overall ratio between the two kinds of atoms. However, the ratio seen in water can vary from location to location. The chemical reactions involved in making ice in space lead to a higher or lower chance of a deuterium atom replacing one of the two hydrogen atoms in a water molecule, depending on the particular environmental conditions.

Deuterium can replace the normal hydrogen in water molecules to form heavy water (D2O), which is about 10.6% denser than normal water (enough that ice made from it sinks in ordinary water). Heavy water is slightly toxic in eukaryotic animals, with 25% substitution of the body water causing cell division problems and sterility, and 50% substitution causing death by cytotoxic syndrome (bone marrow failure and gastrointestinal lining failure). Prokaryotic organisms, however, can survive and grow in pure heavy water (though they grow more slowly).
Consumption of heavy water does not pose a health threat to humans. Small doses of heavy water (a few grams in humans, containing an amount of deuterium comparable to that normally present in the body) are routinely used as harmless metabolic tracers in humans and animals.

Deuterium

Deuterium is concentrated for industrial, scientific, and military purposes as heavy water from ordinary water, most commonly used in heavy water nuclear reactors.

Again, the article did not mention or imply anything to do with life.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Nothing to do with life, bacteria, alien creatures etc etc. The water has the same "mix" of hydrogen as our oceans ie deuterium. This is a signature and it is very highly likely that the water in the comet and the water in our oceans are one and the same. This then means it is possible that the excessive water on our planet is due to comets colliding with the early earth.

It's not a fact to nail your life onto or come to some weird and wonderful conclusions or conspiracies. It does mean that theories about the formation of our Earth are more likely to involve collisions with comets.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

No, not whatsoever. It was a serious OP until the mention of life is everywhere had to throw this into typical CT speculation. If you read the article it's just one little point about the water molecular makeup they are citing.

All comets previously studied have shown deuterium levels around twice that of Earth's oceans.
"Comet Hartley's deuterium-to-hydrogen ratio is almost exactly the same as the water in Earth's oceans,...

All the deuterium and hydrogen in the Universe was made just after the Big Bang, about 13.7 billion years ago, fixing the overall ratio between the two kinds of atoms. However, the ratio seen in water can vary from location to location. The chemical reactions involved in making ice in space lead to a higher or lower chance of a deuterium atom replacing one of the two hydrogen atoms in a water molecule, depending on the particular environmental conditions.

Deuterium can replace the normal hydrogen in water molecules to form heavy water (D2O), which is about 10.6% denser than normal water (enough that ice made from it sinks in ordinary water). Heavy water is slightly toxic in eukaryotic animals, with 25% substitution of the body water causing cell division problems and sterility, and 50% substitution causing death by cytotoxic syndrome (bone marrow failure and gastrointestinal lining failure). Prokaryotic organisms, however, can survive and grow in pure heavy water (though they grow more slowly).
Consumption of heavy water does not pose a health threat to humans. Small doses of heavy water (a few grams in humans, containing an amount of deuterium comparable to that normally present in the body) are routinely used as harmless metabolic tracers in humans and animals.

Deuterium

Deuterium is concentrated for industrial, scientific, and military purposes as heavy water from ordinary water, most commonly used in heavy water nuclear reactors.

So we are sending billions of dollars worth of satellites in to deep space simply to look at water with no regard for finding microbial life? Is that what you are saying? WOW! That makes so much sense.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

and just tell me exactly, so that we can replicate it on our next space probe, exactly how you propose we find life on a distant celestial body???? No speculation, just the facts and the exact parameters that we must look at, and then we might just find it possible to design the exact instruments to measure those life-signs, and if we can't, is it a failure of our instrumentation, or of your hypothesis????? remember the Viking Mars probe???

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Day by day we are finding out just how little we actually know.

I think you mean, day by day we are learning just how much has been deliberately kept from us.

Nothing you hear or read on the news is actually news. It's the remnants that are allowed to be published after it's been strained through a filter. The filter is those in power.

It's just as they have ALWAYS taught us, and what we have ALWAYS scoffed at. Knowledge IS power, and those IN power KNOW THAT.

They decide FOR US what we get to know.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DieBravely

No, I disagree with you.... It is only the fact that we know how little we know that makes us alive, makes us strive to learn new things .....

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Awesome post! I wonder if what exactly is meant by "Like our Oceans." Salty of them, or shall I say
slippery? Anyway, I read a recent article somewhere,maybe here, about a new concept of comets
being electrically charged. The article inferred that the comets tails were actually plasma discharges
due to electrons accumulated over time in vast space, reacting with protons(or was it photons?) from our sun.
I wonder if a comets tail could be Both plasma and dust/water vaporization at this point. By the way,
It is overdue for us to hear some more results of the aerogel analysis data from The Stardust Mission.

S&F

hey check out my ratings under my avatar...1000 points of light . momentarily.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Wildmanimal because: add in comment

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Thanks for posting that and clearing up the matter for your fellow ATS'ers, or at least for me that is.
I'm only speaking for myself, but I am sure others will appreciate your clarity on this.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

So comets definitely could have been the source for Earth's oceans then, right? I haven't really studied that particular subject yet, but from what I know that's one of the main theories of how liquid water oceans developed here. I mean it makes sense, there are thought to be trillions of comets orbiting the solar system in the Oort Cloud, so imagine what the inner solar system would be like when it was just forming? Comets would be all over the place I bet.

But is this really a suprise though? Haven't astronomers known for a while that comets are just ice and space dust? Or did they not know what particular composition the ice had until now?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand

Originally posted by Illustronic

Deuterium

So we are sending billions of dollars worth of satellites in to deep space simply to look at water with no regard for finding microbial life? Is that what you are saying? WOW! That makes so much sense.

Where and how do you come up with such a misquote like that from what I wrote? The observations were made from earth skippy, and we, I mean mostly NASA, sends deep space probes out to help us understand and find clues to how the solar system evolved into what it is today, and life is part of that. Who said what?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Look into the Mars Science Laboratory to see how NASA proposes to find any signs of life there. You can get very detailed information from the NASA site with links to more than you could read.

Well, that's one way to go about it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DieBravely

NASA is not news, its an organization that makes public the discoveries it uncovers for the entire planet scientific community to number crunch themselves to verify or call woo. You are calling the world stupid if that is what you think. And you work for who doing what?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Could it be that these comets are leftovers from our former planet Tiamat? Acient Sumerians stated that Tiamat was involved in a galactic collision. Losing a hell of a chunk out of it and propelled earth or eridu as they referred to it into our current orbital arangement. It would not suprise me if alot of these comets and the great astroid belt are parts of our former world. You know the world when dinosaurs still were alive. There is a history of our planet that we have not been privileged to know about. But the answers are out there, if you are willing to look for them. Who can look at that the night sky and convience themselves we are all that is alive in the universe? With all the life found on our planet and none elsewhere I call BS. To hell with occupy wall street I say we occupy the lodge and find out the truth. What is so important about Osiris? It's only a matter of time before I find out or better yet remeber for myself!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bodcausailor

A Mars sized collision did not change the earth orbit that created our moon as you suggest. A comet hitting earth would have negligible effect on earth orbit being a million times smaller than our moon. This is 500 year old Newtonian physics here.

Life is a different thing, some people seem to confuse with the laws of motion, among other things. Life is fragile life is resilient, every farmer knows this.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I just hope that those who have been so stridently saying that comets don't consist of ice actually read this thread.

Star & flag, Arken.

Well written and presented.

edit on 6/10/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Said nothing about the moon. Its a fact that nothing is stable outside the orbital rings. All planets fall into place accordingly. The moon was placed into orbit around earth to stabilize seasons and provide a calendar. Thirteen full moons twenty seven days apart with several unlucky days. It seems our primitive man was smarter than us. Whatever hit us wasn't lunes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join