It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Shut Down SOHO Feed, Cover Up Real-Time Stream of Earth-sized Comet Impacting Sun: Impllcations

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Well, what happens to a frozen chicken when you dunk it in boiling oil?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Too small to be noticed?

That thing looks huge.

At least give an estimate, earth sized, pea sized?

Considering how insanely huge the sun is anything that noticeable cannot be considered small.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by weirdguy
This is all really interesting. I am still left wondering how anything can hit the sun and not be
torn apart or vaporized before making contact. Does anyone have any ideas?

If the Earth itself were to fall directly into the sun, would it remain a cohesive object all the way to the Sun's surface. I would have thought not.
The Earth is pretty tiny compared to the sun.

So what was that "comet"?
edit on 6/10/2011 by Recouper because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

I would love to buy into that, however everytime I think ya coincidence, all my brain tells me is Shoemaker Levy - 9, I cannot discount that impact for an observation, and comparison as to what happened on the sun. Obviously there was more to this "little" doomed iceball. I would assume that ya, sure there was ice on the outside, however the nucleus of said comet must have been a more dense substance, or that comet wasn't comprised of ice, but of a gas, in a frozen state, which has a higher temperature threshold for vaporization. I cannot with my current knowledge accept that this was a iceball comet.

That is the impact

Here are the plumes it created, and now tell me that CME was a coincidence, wait, let it marinade

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
First of all, science isn't about coincidences.

Secondly, pseudo-science is.

The ufo looked like an alien spacecraft because it was bright AND moved out of character!

A coincidence?

Science says "Show me proof or it's just a coincidental natural phenomenon."

Pseudo-science says "Hell ya, it was an alien spacecraft!!! Proof is in the pudding!"
edit on 6-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

its all about opoening your mind to a different thought process and questioning different factors of observation. I don't understand the attacks with pseudo science, its not fact, but allow the difference of opinion, pls, no need for it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Techata

How do you propose that we setup an experiment to falsify or support that the CME was caused by the impact event?

Babies die every second on earth. Not sure how many. But if I say that they die because of evil thoughts, how do I prove that? They do coincide. Evil thoughts happen every second on earth too. How do I falsify or support that evil thoughts lead directly to the death of babies?
edit on 6-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I wasn't perpetuating that it was a direct or concrete reaction due to the impact, merely stating the observational coincidences between the two, that throws my thought train to a junction. I cannot accept for myself, proof or not that it was a coincidence, that is my opinion, isn't that what this is about, allowing people to voice opinions to collaborate and form their own opinions, while getting to the root of thing, alot is forgotten here it seems.

And my friend, that is a pretty sick analogy for said event. Wow. As for the experiment, it would have to be observed, what happens when u drop a rock into water? A plume will come up where the impact occured. Arbitrarily speaking of course, would be applicible to our situation, possibly would have been a better argument, then dying babies. Every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so what was the reation of the sun, when the comet hit then? To me it was the CME?
edit on 6-10-2011 by Techata because: continued

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This guy is talking about the size being comparable to Mercury..... Holy****!!

If it was that big... There really are some rather serious implications... Then again, it's just a YouTube clip, so...

But his reasoning seems relatively reasonable and it's not hard to see that surely it had to be ridiculously huge.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by demoncleaner

The coronograph images make bright sources of light look larger than they are.

Look at this image:
The object above the Sun is Mercury. Mercury has about 1/285th the diameter of the Sun. At the time the image was taken Mercury was almost directly opposite the Sun from Earth, at a distance of 1.405 AU. So its actual apparent diameter would have been something like 1/376th that of the Sun.

The white circle in the coronograph represents the diameter of the Sun (864,000 miles). The white circle is 80 pixels across so the actual size of Mercury would be less (much less) than one pixel. But what do we see? We see that because of its brightness, Mercury is 7 pixels across (not counting the more extreme oversaturation effects). It appears about 33 times larger than it should be.

There is no way to judge the size of the comet by the images from the coronographs but since it was not seen by anyone until it entered the field of view of the coronographs (which are very sensitive), it cannot have been very large.

edit on 10/6/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If the Earth was in the path of that Mercury sized, object, which entered the helliospere, boundary, of

? Distance from the sun, in Au's,,,

and traveled at a speed of ? in that time,,

how fast was it traveling,, when it impacted the Sun.
and why was the gravtational effect of the sun,,
and all other bodies ,,
of no effect?

If the Earth was in the path of that Mercury sized, object, how many days was it???
edit on 6-10-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Right, I was already of the assumption that the brightness of the object would make it appear larger. But even taking that into consideration, the comet is reflecting an enormous amount of light. Perhaps it's not as large as it appears, but I have a very hard time believing that it's small... as you pointed out, it seems it was not seen by anyone until it passed into the field of view of the observation devices and if the comet is large, even in just relative terms, that leaves a few questions.

I'm also still surprised that it was able to hit the sun before dispersing to the point of being unobservable.

reply to post by BobAthome

It looked to me like it was influenced by the suns gravity. The comet appears to turn into the sun in the available footage.
You or I could calculate the speed if we took the time to learn how, as the variables are all available. But whatever the speed, considering it was falling into the sun, I’m sure it would be going at an astonishing rate.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

Even a full sized comet is small. A big one (like Hale-Bopp) would be 40km across. This thing was tiny.

Here's what Comet Machholz looked like. A small comet but much larger than the one being discussed.

I'm also still surprised that it was able to hit the sun before dispersing to the point of being unobservable.

How do you know it hit the Sun? All we can see is that it disappeared behind the coronograph disk. Remember that the disc is about twice the apparent diameter of the Sun itself.
Rather than hitting the Sun, it's more likely that it did this (bye bye comet):

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
intriguing!

assuming it likely only 'grazed' the sun, yet still produced that much CME,

is it sound to conclude that if that 'icy comet' actually impacted the sun more head-on,

the CME output would have been even more ginormous??

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It seems to me that the corona and tail of a comet under normal circumstances is many times larger than the actual "core" or the solid mass of the comet, and that's when they are still in the outer solar system. I imagine the intense solar wind and radiation would start to quickly vaporize the outer shell and make a much larger sheath of gasses surrounding and trailing behind the comet the closer it gets to the sun.

So i really don't have a problem believing that this comet, while being only be a few miles in diameter, could cast out a vapor trail that could possibly approach the size of a planetoid... but we're still only talking about gasses.

That CME was pretty crazy... but I have a hard time believing that something even planet sized would cause that sort of eruption.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Maybe they stopped the live feed to try to sell it as an exclusive to raise money to keep them afloat.

Seems to me lately they have been really trying to get everyone's attention about something and when they start taking Nibiru seriously, it almost sounds like they are fund raising to me.

Not that Nibiru doesn't exist, and not that at any moment it could appear like in the movie Melancholia, but normally, NASA likes to pretend that things of that nature don't exist.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

There is no "live feed" from SOHO.
Nothing was ever hidden.
You can see that there was an ongoing discussion about the comet here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I have heard of theory's I believe from Steven Hawkings shows that theorize that advanced alien technology may use the sun as a form of transportation.

As in harnessing the suns energy to open worm holes to other solar systems or suns.

The object does kind of look like it warps and bends as if it were entering some sort of hyperspace, not that I would know what an object looks like entering hyperspace.

The resulting CME could be the discharge of left over energy from the wormhole dissipating or closing.

edit on 6-10-2011 by Frank Dinkle because: grammer

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

There is no "live feed" from SOHO.
Nothing was ever hidden.
You can see that there was an ongoing discussion about the comet here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know people saw it coming, but isn't there a few seconds of missing video just prior to the comet hitting the sun?

I saw 2 videos. So are there 2 different SOHO's? 2 different angles?

One video showed the comet kind of fizzle in a squiggly line towards the sun, and the other video showed it approaching, then nothing, then it hits and the impact causes the flare.

What am I missing here?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

There is no video at all. There are separate images which are combined into animations.

There is one SOHO spacecraft and 2 STEREO spacecraft. SOHO is between the Earth and the SUN. STEREO A is a bit more than 90º ahead of Earth in its orbit.

The images from SOHO are taken about 12 minutes apart and can be found here:
sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov... None are missing.

The images from the STEREO spacecraft are taken 15 minutes apart and can be found here:
stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov... None are missing.

In none of the images can the comet be seen "impacting" the Sun. The "impact" did not cause the CME.

You seem to be missing a lot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join