It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Did Not Warn Us Of The Asteroid SE58 That Almost Hit Earth. They Were Unsure Of Its Orbit.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Ok, I hit the reply button just after reading the OP.

I read somewhere that a lot of asteroids/bodies heading for Earth are discovered when they've already passed. We cannot monitor every part of our sky, so consequently, a lot of bodies are discovered 'too late', or not at all.

I have no source though, but can probably provide one if necessary.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Listen up, and listen well

Stick to the topic of the thread.

Discuss the subject, not each other. Its time for the petty bickering to stop.

A failure to stick to those basic principals will be viewed very dimly.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
They did warn it was called UARS debris

Come ON make up your mind
NASA said UARS went into the pacific

so which one is the lie

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by semicolonsmile
What are you going to do when they do give you a warning? Especially if it's an "everyone is going to die" warning? This is a serious question, that is open for anyone to answer.

If it was an 'everyone is going to die' event, it's unlikely they would mention it.

Although I am sure the people would get suspicious when every country in the world starts launching 'mystery' space rockets into orbit.

st.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwell
I know an asteroid is coming. I don't know exactly when but it is not that far off.

YU55 is coming, should be here around 11:30pm UTC on 8th November 2011.

st.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by semicolonsmile

I'd like to answer that question of yours thanks.

I'd live my life like there was no tomorrow.
I'd attempt to put right the past wrongs, and attempt to heal old wounds.
I'd be inseparable from my family, kids would not go to school, parents would not go to work, and shower them with my love, right till our end.
I'd have hope and do what i could to try and ensure their survival, even if that was futile.
I'd breathe my last breath informed, and not ignorant of how and why it was my last breath.
I'd be grateful to those with the knowledge of our danger, that had the choice to keep me in ignorance or inform me, had made the right and decent choice and told me.

What would you do?

I guess it depends on how much time they gave us all.
If it were 1-7 days, I would act much like you would, although I am not married nor do I have any children. I would try to figure out where the safe(est) places were, even if safest meant 95 percent chance of death. I would say the things that I could never say to the people I needed to say them to, good or bad. I would spend my last week on this earth trying to die without any regrets.

If it were hours-which is the more likely scenario- I would call everyone I could to wish them farewell(providing I was still able to). Then I would proceed to lock myself in the liquor cabinet of the restaurant I work at, and drink until I was convinced that said liquor cabinet was the safest place to be. I am sure I would not be alone. Of course, this is providing I'm anywhere near home when the alert went out.

I would not be mad about the short warning. It would be better than no warning at all, and I can understand why TPTB would do such a thing. If they gave the warning weeks, months, or years ahead of time, it would be complete chaos all the way up until the end, and I don't think I would want to spend my last few w/m/y fighting off looters, rioters, thieves or people who "always wanted to kill somebody and finally got the chance to do so without consequence".

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by kwell

The largest asteroid is Vesta at about 500km (technically, Ceres got promoted to dwarf planet).

Yes, relatively small.
As compared to a planet. As compared to the Moon. As compared to many moons of other planets.

Why are you alway's changing the base line

He was talking about asteroids not other thing etc......

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by Blinded

To cause damage, first you need a rock made of certain material like Iridium. Also you need the size to be quite large (size of texas). This would create damage worldwide. 13 meters? Sorry

You should check your information before getting high and mighty with other people's posts mate.

You think only something hitting the Earth at 20 - 60K MPH has to be the size of an entire American State to cause global damage?

You're very, very wrong.

Only a 10 mile wide asteroid would pretty much destroy all life on Earth, the huge majority of it anyway.

It would create a 100 - 200 mile wide crater, and trigger firestorms, supervolcanic eruptions and mega tsunamis.

Anyone on the surface, will be incinerated by heat from the impact and fiery debris thrown up and falling back to ground all around the world.

The volcanoes around the world will release poisons and gases that would choke everything, and the sunlight would be blocked out for years, possibly up to five or more years, effectively killing off all plantlife and most surviving animals.

A few thousand human survivors might make it through, but will be thrown back into a neolithic lifestyle and would soon forget they were ever advanced.

10 miles wide.

NOT Texas sized.

Something even the size of a 10 story building would be catastrophic as this news man reports... www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-10-2011 by kwell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Several meteors hit.

I believe those would be meteorites...

No it was an asteroid...did you look on the NASA link I provided. It was 60 feet wide.

60ft wide barely rates as an asteroid and hardly rates as a significant impact.

Not really a world ending event...lol

There's plenty of small objects out there like this that could hit without being detected first. But the larger the object, the quicker they are to spot. Not that we could do much if a 20km wide one were to have earth in its sights anyway.

So why would they tell us if there was a big one coming an it was going to impact, there's no point.
edit on 10/7/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad

Originally posted by boncho

Several meteors hit.

I believe those would be meteorites...

No it was an asteroid...did you look on the NASA link I provided. It was 60 feet wide.

60ft wide barely rates as an asteroid and hardly rates as a significant impact.

Not really a world ending event...lol

There's plenty of small objects out there like this that could hit without being detected first. But the larger the object, the quicker they are to spot. Not that we could do much if a 20km wide one were to have earth in its sights anyway.

So why would they tell us if there was a big one coming an it was going to impact, there's no point.
edit on 10/7/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

Here is a news report. Something even the size of a 10 story building would be catastrophic and equivalent to 1,000 Hiroshima bombs.www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-10-2011 by kwell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory

Originally posted by semicolonsmile
What are you going to do when they do give you a warning? Especially if it's an "everyone is going to die" warning? This is a serious question, that is open for anyone to answer.

If it was an 'everyone is going to die' event, it's unlikely they would mention it.

Although I am sure the people would get suspicious when every country in the world starts launching 'mystery' space rockets into orbit.

st.

I asked "what would you do if they did", not "do you think they would or not".

So what would you do?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by marshy10156
Also questioning someones integrity because they've only been registered for a day is a bit sad isn't it. I'm sure you posted something that you thought was relevant on your first day otherwise what was the point in registering? He made a very valid opinionated point (i'm sure opinions are appreciated on this website as much as some of the more obscure posts/topics) which i'm sure a large section of this room would agree with, considering the number of posts going against kwell's view

edit on 7/10/2011 by marshy10156 because: (no reason given)

Thank you for that. Much appreciated.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jools

er have asked mods what this is about...oh lordy and I am one of the nice ones...waiting to see what this is about....maybe it's time for me to leave...talk about sensitiveness.....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
wow I have to agree with some people my post was not rude in any way...when I made a complaint I was ignored and it was awful...I have to wonder whats going on this is ridiculous

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join