It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In response to Stop Your Steve Jobs lies!! Dr. Mark Dean Invented the PC And He's A Black Man (can

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm posting this in response to the concentration on race that became an issue on the above mentioned post by ProphecyPhD

Ballad of Gordon

It's not always about race, there are a great number of people that look at people and see who they are as a person or in the case of extraordinary accomplishments what they have done as a person.

Believe it or not many people view the accomplishments within the technology field by accomplishment, not by race.

I so love this video BTW

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixiefyre

It's not always about race, there are a great number of people that look at people and see who they are as a person or in the case of extraordinary accomplishments what they have done as a person.

Believe it or not many people view the accomplishments within the technology field by accomplishment, not by race.

I so love this video BTW

So, who are you saying that to, the OP? It definitely was about race because the original post made a big point of mentioining that fact. So blame that person, not the people that picked up on that not-so-slight insinuation.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Aliensun because: word change

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

To the op, and those who backed up that part of what the op was focusing on. There will always be racist people out there and we will never be able to totally eliminate that problem, but we'll never get by past the big pointing fingers at people calling them racist if we can't appreciate the great contributors to either our society, or the tech industry or anything without drawing race as the primary focus.

On any of the multiple sides of the playing field

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Forgive me butting into this, but why did you start a separate thread about this?
It seems to be becoming a trend.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

My apologies, I created a new topic for this because I thought the message although triggered by the other post, was something positive to share amongst everyone.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

edit on 5-10-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixiefyre

My apologies, I created a new topic for this because I thought the message although triggered by the other post, was something positive to share amongst everyone.

Excuse me, but that was not my impression. I saw it as an apologist for the original thread which stands or falls on its own merit. I understand your position, but it simply is an attempted deflection.

As the other poster said, this thread should not exist anything you want to "correct" should be included in the original thread.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Cool. I have just been noticing the phenomena lately and it left me wondering if it drifted from another site or if it was a social online evolution. Sometimes I see trends and wonder. thx

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Again my apologies, I was not apologizing for the thread mentioned. I wanted to draw attention to the fact that ones accomplishments are what is important. I feel that raising the race card at times does more harm than good.

If you feel my post does not belong please feel free to ask the mods to remove it and I promise I will take no offense. No harm was intended by it and if it in itself causes upset or harm it then I apologize that was not my intent

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Nah, this was actually the first topic I have created on here. I had come across topics that raised the race issue in a number of them and I myself rather believe things should be about the person not the race no matter what that race might be. The topic this was in response to gave me a way to say that. I felt that drawing such focus on the mans race caused more harm than good. Because then the topic turned into a topic about race not about accomplishments.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Dr. Mark Dean Invented the PC

I always thought Doctor John von Neumann of Germany was the inventor of the vacuum tube computer. Neumann was a brilliant man, and worked out the concept while at Brookhaven Labs in the early 1950s. The Project Name was "Phoenix."

The first general-purpose digital electronic computer, one that could be programmed to perform a variety of calculational tasks, was the ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator).

It was designed and built in the Fall of 1945 by John Mauchly and J. Presber Eckert. ENIAC was originally built to calculate ballistic tables for the US military to aim their big guns. ENIAC was a monster of a machine, filling a large room and weighing 30 tons. It included 18,000 vacuum tubes and used 200 kilowatts of electrical power (the lights dimmed in its Philadelphia neighborhood when it was first turned on). ENIAC was the first general-purpose computer because it could be programmed (given different sets of instructions to follow) by the cumbersome procedure of reconnecting cables and flipping switches.

Later computers were much more flexible because they incorporated the idea of stored programs, conceived in 1945 by mathematician John Von Neumann (who worked on the Manhattan Project in Los Alamos). In this scheme, both the data being manipulated and the program of instructions for the computer are stored in memory. Modern computers use this same method.

Mauchly and Eckert later went on to work for the Univac division of Remmington Rand corporation. The Univac I (Universal Automatic Computer) was the first commercial computer, coming out in 1951. Most of these early mainframes were purchased (or rented) by government bureaus, the military, research labs (such as Los Alamos National Lab), large corporations, and universities. IBM (International Business Machines) entered the computer market in 1953 with its 701 computer. By 1960, IBM was the dominant force in the market of large mainframe computers. Smaller players in the mainframe market included Burroughs, Control Data, General Electric, Honeywell, NCR, RCA, and Univac.

Transistors and Integrated Circuits
ENIAC computer ENIAC computer Vacuum tubes consume lots of electrical power and are prone to burning out, which caused problems for early computers that used thousands of them. By 1960, the transistor replaced the vacuum tube as the electrical switching device in computers. The transistor (developed at Bell Labs by William Shockley and others in the 1950’s) is a solid-state semiconductor device typically made of silicon or germanium. It is much smaller, much more reliable, and consumes much less energy than a vacuum tube. A vacuum tube computer that previously filled a sizable portion of a room could be replaced by a transistorized computer system that filled a few cabinets. A good example of an early computer using transistors is the IBM 360, which dominated the mainframe computer market in the mid to late 1960’s.

The early 1960’s also saw the development of the microchip, or integrated circuit (IC), invented by Jack Kirby and Robert Noyce. An integrated circuit incorporates many transistors and other electrical components, all formed into a miniature circuit onto a single chip of silicon.
source

History of Computing Information

The Computer Generations

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

I agree with you. Sad how some posters seem to only want to discuss things if they are racial. I too think it hurt their cause.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thank you Domo1 I appreciate that.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
One thread is enough

Original Here

Closing Duplicate

Thank you

Semper

top topics