It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying out a Muscle building supplement which way to go?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
These days with the poisoning and genetically altering of our food sources its hard to figure out which direction to go and follow...which leads me to walk down the path of muscle building supplements..Iam in excellent physical shape 5'9'' 130lbs slightly on the thin side but extremely tone and defined..What im trying to achieve is greater muscle mass..My muscle groups are greatly defined as I have already said but thats from having a great diet and vigilant exercise regiment..I want more muscle mass and have never messed with any muscle supplements.

A bit of frustration comes across me as I have purchased some Soy protein...Which I have now researched and found out to be detrimental to mens health. Negative in the aspect of crumbling a mans manly psyche with an overabundance of estrogen. Now does anyone have any information on the factual evidence or personal experience on Soy protein?

Now this leads me further along my path to Whey protein which has been a staple supplement for decades in bodybuilding. Again is there any further information that I should be aware of since this will be my alternate choice as I do not want to grow breasts and lose my morning wood.

Lastly if there are any alternate supplements by chance that any of you have had success with Id love to hear about it. Thanks -DieSekTor

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
1.Good multi-vitamin (should go without saying)
2.Creatine (pill forms are available, if you don't like chugging)
3.Amino acids (again, pill forms are easiest)
4.I take Isopure for protein, zero carbs and pure protein isolate

Works well for me.
edit on 5-10-2011 by VariableConstant because: typo

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I go whey protein. Creatine is great for recovery, there are some pretty tasty Creatine powders. Take plenty of fish oil. N.O. Xplode is a great boost to your workout too, but who knows what's in that crap because it's like weight-lifting crack!
Really delve into nutrition, and PARTICULARLY nutritional timing. If you don't supplement at the right times, you might as well not be supplementing at all. There is a lot of knowledge on bodybuilding.com for free, just go and click on the super-site. Search for supplement programs for men and you should find a wealth of information on this topic!
Hope that helps!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DieSektor

if you really want to supplement whey protein shake or supliments are the best..you dont need anything more. get your protein from natural unprocessed sources

muscle building is simple if you dont get sucked into all the spin
for a full body development i would suggest this:
-min. 3L water per day
-high amounts of fruit and vegetable
-carbs
-nuts (almonds are best)
-fish. tuna tins are cheap and do the job
-mulit vitamins and omega 3 if you really want
-dairy..yogurt helps but drink lots of milk. cottage cheese is good too
-eat lots of grains
-avoid high sugar and salt content at all costs
-avoid processed foods
-cardio workout daily or as much as possible
-potatos
-chicken breast is good, i tend to stick to leaner meats only having a few red meats per week
-sandwhiches! pack as much salad as possible

and remember always change your routines

edit on 5-10-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

If you want to put on muscle, check some of the protein calculators around the net, and then drink the right amount of whey protein supplement each day.

calculator

According to that one you need 88g per day.

Prepare for flatulence!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Whey protein is good, but don't forget that you have to lift really hard to increase muscle mass. If this is your goal you must lift heavy- there's really no way around it. You can't just do a few push-ups and pull-ups and expect to look like Arnold. I speak from experience, although right now I'm just staying toned using a bowflex and running every day. I am 52 years old now but a couple years ago I weighed about 40 pounds more due to muscle mass. The problem was I was falling apart at my joints. I had to give it up. Now I feel a lot better.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Thestargateisreal

If you are really trying to put on some muscle you have to get an extra gram for every pound of body weight. That's closer to 200 lbs for most guys so 200 grams of protein. That works better than any other supplement. But like I said before, you have to lift really hard. That's the most important thing.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Awesome guys thank you much...Ill revise your information and definatly put it to use. The best part of my day is the workout after my 8 hour work shift and dinner. I spin out 50 situps / pushups and dumbell curl variants with one mile on my tread bike it doesnt sound like much but it got me to where Iam now because I do it everyday! Sounds like ill have to definatly up my game

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

That's right at the max amount you can absorb per day. I'd try low and work upwards. It's not healthy to start tripling your protein intake out of the blue.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

bench pressing is great for building mass even if it just with dumbbells

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Hello i'm into nutrition and weightlifting for sometime now, i love the subject.
Increasing muscle mass, as some have already said, requires you to push some heavy weights and most important some nutrition knowledge so you can understand how it works and then you can take your protein knowing what you are doing.

Your routine is perfect to maintain a well defined body, but it won't increase muscle mass to much by doing it specially if you're doing too many reps.
A common routine generally goes by doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps on each muscle group you want to increase.
On the last reps you should be giving all you have to do them, they should be very hard to do, that is the way you can figure out what weights you should use. If you can do them easily, increase weight! If you got your 10th rep in slowmo and giving it all to lift it, that's the right one. Usually only 2 muscle groups should be worked per day like that. After you're finished, that is the perfect time to take your protein shake (Optimum Nutrition is considered the best).
Why after workout? Because your muscles now need to start reconstructing themselves so they need protein to do it, and the reason why whey protein is so good is because its the most efficient and fast way to provide muscles with the reconstructing material it needs: Simple pure fast absorbing Protein.
120g of total protein per day should be enough. you can search on Google for ''Protein foods" to have an idea of all the good lean protein foods there is out there and "Nutritiondata" is a database of all the foods and their nutrition values.
Most important and the basic one. If don't have already some knowledge, do a good read about Carbs, Protein and Fats roles in the body.
These are just some tips i really think the best way for success is to be Autodidact and don't trust to much on what people throw around.
Here are some cool subjects of interest in that area for a little research on Google about meal plans and please, don't start doing what they say, first search about it and figure out why! why this why that.......... knowledge is sooo gooood
type: ''clean bulk meal plan bodybuilding''
"protein carbs fats bodybuilding"
"clean bulk workout bodybuilding"
I always use bodybuilding at the end because those forums have allot of good knowledge from knowledgeable people who have been sharing, learning and working out for years and most of the information there is product of long research and personal experiences.
Hope i was helpful.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
OP, I was wondering what sources you read to discover your thoughts on soy protein being unhealthy for men. Also, I'm curious how you're doing at putting on that mass you wanted. Most of the people offered good advice. You will want to make sure you're getting good/sufficient nutrients after your workout and your workout must consist of remarkably heavy weight with many repetitions.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Great advice Polar as well as wtbengineer's input. When definition is not enough..Now is the time to rip muscle. It will be a challenge, for years I was such an advocate for maximum repetitions you know what I mean. I go and go and go until I feel the burn never exerting maximum force into a higher tier weight lifting routine.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

It's funny, that's my only complaint about the bowflex. I can never truly go until failure because the resistance is relatively low starting out and then maximum at the end of the motion. I get to the point that it's hard to extend fully, but I can always start another rep. It's not really good for building large muscle mass, but that's not what I'm concentrating on now.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jpaul

Hey jPaul If you Google soy protein and mens health you will find boatloads of information. Specifically how the plant will enrich your body with estrogen over steady and long term exposure. Nutritionally soy is by far better than whey as a source of protein as it has many more benefits than just solid protein. I had a bad hunch about the use of Soy protein and now with the advice of these great people my mind is at ease.In reality soy protein may not alter your hormone levels but since I have the option to avoid it I WILL

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Haha yea man. I have had a few sessions on the bowflex and damn the machine looks so awkward and confusing at first but is great to keep yourself defined. I have a very old Gold's gym bench press in my basement. No joke this thing is not for the faint of heart the weights were cut so sharply you can cut yourself using it and the bench press bar itself has gotta weigh at least 20 or so lbs without any weights. I guess the whole gym scene was big back in the early 90s the thing is old.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I'll say this (and I am a trainer)...

YOU HAVE TO EAT!!!!!!!!

I don't care what the hell you're supplementing with. If you're not eating a ton, you're not gaining muscle. Period.

Then, of course, the second most important is protein. In my opinion, and others, which is based on self experimentation, client application, sports supplement/dietary research and the best trainers/coaches in the world....the best is as follows:

Whey Protein: A quick burning protein that typically makes it's way through your system within an hour. Not all whey is the same. Isolate, concentrate and hydrolysate. All you need to know is...Unless you're extremely sensitive to dair, stick with concentrate (in which case, I'd just eat a bunch of eggs and steak!).

Casein protein: A slower burning protein (and actually slower digesting protein) that can take from a few to 6 hours to make its way through your system. You can get pottasium, calcium and sodium caseinate.....or Micellar Casein, with the latter taking the longest to digest and best for taking just before bed.

IMO: To optimize protein and caloric intake while maintaining a clean diet (meaning it won't be counter-productive by promoting fat gain and insulin resistance) is to make a protein shake with coconut milk as the base and putting a few berries in with caseinate protein. It's tastey, calorically dense and extremely healthy. It's something you would want to drink throughout the day to mainatain a highly positive caloric balance. Then drinking Micellar Casein before bed to maintain a constant supply of protein during sleep/recovery.

Of course, after workouts, drinking whey protein is the best way to get protein to the muscles for repair quickly; however, if you combine dextrose or maltodextrose with whey, the results can be significantly better. Follow a post workout shake with a calorically loaded meal.

Done. As far as exercise. The best advice I know is....LIFT HEAVY STUFF OFF THE GROUND. And do compound movements that engage the core.

Done and Done.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

All you need to look like a million bucks is:
skinless chicken/fish
veggies
meal bars
whey protein
water

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Thestargateisreal

The guy is clearly in great shape, according to his words. He wants to build muscle, not look like a million bucks.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

He does pushups....lets start small and worry about looking like Ron Coleman later.
Eating a lot at his level will just make him fat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join