It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Deflect Killer Asteroids, Humanity Must Work Together(not a doomsday thread)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I just ran across this. I believe there is a lot of truth in this article, if there is indeed a threat (if not now, there will be eventually), it stands to reason that the world would have to to work together to take care of the
situation. news.yahoo.com...
NOTE- this is not a doomsday thread. It is something that everyone should think about, as it pertains to a real threat.

We already have the technological know-how to prevent dangerous space rocks from barreling into our planet, provided we detect them in time. But this vital job would require a great deal of international cooperation, experts say, and history has shown that working together is not our species' strong suit.

"Somebody's got to make the decision to actually mount the deflection, and do it," said former astronaut Rusty Schweickart, chairman of the B612 Foundation, a group dedicated to predicting and preventing catastrophic asteroid impacts on Earth. "That is not technical, but it's the toughest problem of all," Schweickart said here at the California Institute of Technology on Sept. 28, during a panel discussion called "Moving an Asteroid."

Humanity has the technical skills to move asteroids in several different ways, panelists said. We can hurl a large body into them, for example, changing their orbit with one dramatic impact. NASA did just that in 2005, sending a small probe careening into the comet Tempel 1 to determine the icy wanderer's composition. The goal in that case was science rather than planetary defense, but the key is that humanity knows how to do it with today's technology.

I must say that I wholeheartedly agree that we must work together for the common good. I know I am dreaming on this one, but what better way put all of our differences aside, stop the wars, and such, and focus on the survival of the human race?
The survival of the human race is one thing that we all have common- we all have a desire to live and survive, and it surpasses all political and racial affiliations. This is a very good thing to strive for and hope for, but unfortunately, most people don't share that view. Anyway, I just wanted to share this see what others have to say.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Didn't Werner Von Braun, per his assistant, include asteroids as one of the ways that the NWO will enslave humanity?
1. Communism
2. Terrorism
3. Rogue Nations
4. Asteroids
5. Alien invasion

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
What, we all throw rocks at the same time?!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I suppose I should clarify...the article, in effect is talking about the international governments getting together in a space program to deflect oncoming asteroids.

top topics

join