It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defeating Negative Self Talk

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Often large portion of things we would like to accomplish are shut down before they are even attempted.

Negative self talk, You know that voice of the ego that tells you your failing that you have no juice no power. That voice that distracts you from the subtle observations and peace of the higher self.

One technique I use to follow through on ideas is to visualize myself doing them and being successful. For me this attaches a positive end result despite the challenges that present themselves during the process.

Cultivating a positive ego/self one that reinforces success is an integral part of success for me. Getting weighed down by the trollers comment and those of haters is allowing that reality perspective within to echo and resonate with my own insecurities.

Declaring war on negative self talk is taking back the power of intention and success for ourselves. This is not an attack on risk assessment this is an intention based construct in its purest form.

Defeating each "I can't" with "I can". Understanding that it is in the journey that we gain subjective insight. In that journey that we create the mechanism for success. In the journey that our intentions act on the infinite amount of space-time events to make our desires reality. The key is the positive outlook. That we will succeed.

Instead of seeking approval from others to succeed giving ourselves permission to succeed. And of course connecting with like minded people and taking responsibility for this moment, what we can do right now. Your potential is truly limitless. Your limits are the remembrance of past events and conditions.

You are now, not yesterday, ever flowing, ever present. In this awareness your true self opens its eyes to gaze at infinite realizations. You are the change you want to see in the world. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Now.

A living essence of unlimited potential. An avatar for your higher self.

What are your techniques for succeeding through negativity and maintaining an "I will succeed" outlook.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'll be really interested to see what kind of responses you get here.
While not at all a negative person, I have a daughter who (for many reasons) is...
and it's such a difficult thing for her to overcome. I hate to see her putting herself down, but even in trying to discourage that kind of negativity, she tends to get even MORE negative about herself. It's such a hard thing to deal with!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I have this kind of issue. I had this for a very long time. I will try this technique tomorrow and see if it works out. Thank you very much for the suggestion op.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Have you ever heard of EFT tapping?
David Childerly has a range of videos, this one is cool, we think, anyway

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I picked up this self-talk defeating technique from a spoken word poet known as Tara Hardy:

Keep a small piece of paper in one of your pockets that has the word "distortion" written on it. Whenever that defeatist voice keeps you from doing what you need to, take out the paper and remind yourself that the voice could possibly a distortion, leading you astray from greater things. It becomes so easy to listen to this inner voice, but with this technique you give yourself a chance to second guess yourself.

Then, keep a small pebble in your other pocket, and if you start succumbing to this voice even after you make the choice to follow it, touch the rock. It is there as a physical manifestation of your purpose. This helps to keep you focused on the task at hand, keep your energy positive, and remind yourself that even through anxiety, you have purpose.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So uplifting and reinforcing what you say here. Thanks so much. What I do is TTY to drown out that other voice and say instead, to myself, hold onto to yourself. At all costs, no matter what or who you hear, even if only you know who you are, that's enough. This other thing speaking is just noise, and it doesn't know....

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
A good post, one a lot of self-haters should read.
I found my positive strength byaccident, I discovered that when I wanted something, like REALLY wanted it, it just somehow all fell into place very easily, and I ended up with the net result at the end. It may have not happened instantly, but dependent on the need, it came along. After the initial success I tried it with different things over and over, and it always worked.
Among my peers we have the same thing, we call it the ball-roller, people can be negative and say "it can't be done", we always take one person to say "lets change the world" or "the impossible is what we do", and as others fall into that way of thinking, I find the task gets done quickly with minimum hassle.
Another is my "inspiration rock." My daughter gave it to me, said she found it in the school sand pit, and it was special. Now a rock is a rock is a rcok, but I do some of my best work with that rock in my pocket or in my hand. I often wonder if the intention with which it was given is what makes it so powerful.
I think just by saying we are masters of our own destinies gives us strength.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This was really hard for me to do,

One day I asked a question of myself because I noticed I was creating these dramas, and playing out the scenes in my head. Speaking out loud, I asked," Why am I thinking these horrible things, this is not who I am" and instantly within myself I hear, change the story, write a new story.

I have been using this for a month now, I am now catching when a negative thought or drama begins and laugh and say not this time, I am re-writing your story, because I now know it is ego. It has no authority over me.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm no better than anyone else and I'm not going to delude myself that I'm a great person who only does great things and blah whatever. If that's negative self talk, then I must hate myself.

Maybe I am deluded about it all but I don't see how telling myself nice words is going to make the universe a better place for me. Even though I'm pretty open to all kinds of ideas maybe I'm too "logical", for lack of a better word, for this to work for me.

Truth be told, I don't mind me so much. It's everyone else who has a problem with me. Oh well. It matters not in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Wow..This thread really struck a chord with me..

I've had a very defeatist attitude for so long...For several reasons, I feel like I've become negative & withdrawn..especially recently.

Though I tend to try & hide my feelings, it feels like I
constantly tormented by my past mistakes..so always trying to seek approval & recognition from my family & friends.

Yet, it hurts knowing that some things can be forgiven over time, but bber truly forgotten.

It's hard to get out of a negative mentality that's become like the norm now..

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe
Wow..This thread really struck a chord with me..

I've had a very defeatist attitude for so long...For several reasons, I feel like I've become negative & withdrawn..especially recently.

Though I tend to try & hide my feelings, it feels like I
constantly tormented by my past mistakes..so always trying to seek approval & recognition from my family & friends.

Yet, it hurts knowing that some things can be forgiven over time, but bber truly forgotten.

It's hard to get out of a negative mentality that's become like the norm now..

The norm remains the norm until you do something different. Some may challenge it. However do it long enough and that will become the new norm. Setting positivity as the norm and defeating negative self talk as it arises is truly a journey. One in which as I pay attention I discover my true potential. The flavors and colors of life are renewed the adventure refreshed.

Whenever I find a negative reality being projected on me I use the internal mantra. "That is your reality outlook. Not mine." Say something positive to them and disengage, Fueling negativity with more negative energy only entrains your outlook to that negative state. Give the gift of positivity disengage and look for the opportunities to succeed as you know you will. This is the philosophy I try and remember when I start feeling flat and the negative outlook draining me. Know you can do it you are still just working on the best method. You have all the tools you will ever need. Paying attention and sticking to your goal of positivity will radiate that same effect from you resonating that same energy back. IMO

edit on 5-10-2011 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

It's not that I don't want to do something different, or don't want to embrace change...

It's just that, that situation I'm in at the moment is a pretty emotional one..Where every single day, of every minute I'm being reminded of my mistakes. For this reason, I feel like I'm stuck in a rut..& so I tend to lash out & act negatively.

But like I said, because of the situation I'm in, it has caused a very negative & bad atmosphere, which in turn, causes me to behave in a bitter & negative manner.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Star and Flag. This is a very wonderful topic that you have brought up!

"Declaring war on negative self talk is taking back the power of intention and success for ourselves. This is not an attack on risk assessment this is an intention based construct in its purest form."

Perfectly said!

I will share a technique that I have used to fight off negative inner talk:

First, you must become mindful of all your thoughts/emotions in the first place. Know and be aware of negative, positive, and neutral thoughts/emotions as often as you can 'remember' to be aware. Next, determine your realistic goals and decide which type of emotional state you want to be in more often. This is knowing, and knowing is half the battle!

Subconscious Programming

We can help to re-write our subconscious mind. This is important because our subconscious mind plays a part in shaping our thoughts, emotions, and actions. Get some paper or a notebook. On a piece of paper, write one realistic goal. Write the goal in positive wording only. When you write the goal, say it aloud also. Do you hear the voice of doubt? The inner dialogue of criticism, fear, uncertainty, negativity? Listen to this voice, do not 'block it out,' you must acknowledge it. Tell this voice, "I can do this," or think of a reason that you can accomplish your goal.... either say it or write it on the next line below your goal. Then write your goal again and say it aloud. Still hear the negative inner voice? Again, say "I can do this," and re-write your goal and say it aloud. Keep doing this over and over. Take your time doing each step, this is not a writing race, this is subconscious programming. Taking your time, repeat this exercise until that little voice goes away. It may take you 10 repetitions, it may take you the entire paper, it may take several sheets of paper until the negative inner voice begins to subside.

• How/Why this works: You are thinking, writing, saying, and reading your goal. You are manifesting on so many levels! Just like a song can get stuck in your head, and just like subliminal advertising, repitition burns things into your brain.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I really Like this technique you have shared.
I have always believed in Goal folders which I can add each step and win in. It like a journal helps me keep track of my wins. A great technique while waiting for a friend or a bus. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This might be a good technique, its from byron katie

The Work of Byron Katie is a way of identifying and questioning the thoughts that cause all the fear, violence, depression, frustration, and suffering in the world. Experience the happiness of undoing those thoughts through The Work, and allow your mind to return to its true, awakened, peaceful, creative nature.

websitebyron katie-the work

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by prepared4truth
I picked up this self-talk defeating technique from a spoken word poet known as Tara Hardy:

Keep a small piece of paper in one of your pockets that has the word "distortion" written on it. Whenever that defeatist voice keeps you from doing what you need to, take out the paper and remind yourself that the voice could possibly a distortion, leading you astray from greater things. It becomes so easy to listen to this inner voice, but with this technique you give yourself a chance to second guess yourself.

Then, keep a small pebble in your other pocket, and if you start succumbing to this voice even after you make the choice to follow it, touch the rock. It is there as a physical manifestation of your purpose. This helps to keep you focused on the task at hand, keep your energy positive, and remind yourself that even through anxiety, you have purpose.

After my mom died, one of her friends took me to a favorite shop of hers and bought me some spiritual type items, one being a book of positive quotes, the other being a rock called the "Eye of the Tiger". She told me it represented courage. I would keep it in my pocket at almost all times. Then, I met who I perceived to be my soulmate, and still do, and felt I didn't need it any longer and I gave it to her, though I don't remember the specific reason why, it was to hopefully help her get through something difficult, possibly something from her past. Anyways, its a nice and beautiful stone when smoothed and polished. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice stone to symbolize a "can do" attitude. Stone is a good symbol for something that is meant to last. Like that song used on the truck commercials "Like a Rock"

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The last time I mentally beat myself up was because I realized I was mentally beating myself up all these years and wanted to punish myself for it. Right then and there it dawned on me I was doing it wrong. After that I chose never to allow others to use my own energy against me, later I came to believe others can't use one's own energy against oneself.
edit on 6/10/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

One way is to become the negativities watcher, dont judge it or fight it, just watch it, be its observer. That way it looses its power and hold over you. By not reacting to it you dont give it energy to continue living inside your mind. Negative thoughts are part of the minds ego. After a while you begin to see you are awarness behind the negative thoughts and you can silence them and control them. Meditation is a great way to achieve this.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
For me, it's not a matter of "I can" or "I can't", it's always "I could".

There are many things I could do, I have unimaginable number of talents and high above normal intelligence and it's a total shame that I don't use it more then I do now. It's not that I don't want to or feel I can't, because I have everything inside me to succeed in almost anything I try.

Sadly, everything that I would like to aim for is blocked by the same thing constantly :
I don't have money and I don't have contacts.

And since I don't want anyone to care about what I write down, I will say that I make good music...there, I just put my post in a coffin. Whenever I talk about my music, people magically don't read. It's like I am cursed lol

It sucks because I know I can, I just need a little helping hand.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Hi i stared and flagged you

because i too have discovered the power of self talk....positive self talk which i is positive brainwashing.

Thanks to my upbringing my core beliefs where only very strong and persistent negative brainwashing.
Once one grows away from the abuser....the abuse does not stop. We have now been programmed to hate on ourselves....(thanks caregivers)

Goes like this

Change the way you think....

changes the way you feel. Period.

Sounds simple. But not.

Keep Growing OP! And Yell out what you learn.
Thanks

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join