It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Your Steve Jobs lies!! Dr. Mark Dean Invented the PC And He's A Black Man (can it be true??)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I would like to start this thread off by saying R.I.P. Steve Jobs. I am a Mac and an iPhone user and (as of this moment) i wouldn't have it any other way. Now with my (sincerest) condolences out of the way i would like to get right to it.

My fellow ATS colleagues I would like to introduce you to the obscure, veritable inventor of the personal computer.

We all know who Bill Gates; Michael Dell; Steven Jobs and Steven Wozniak are. Recently all four were given tribute for their contributions to the computer age. No tribute or mention was given however to Mark Dean.

It seems that they were willing to applaud the efforts of those who used computers to make money but unwilling to give tribute to the man who led the team who developed the first 1 Gigahertze microprocessor chip at his Austin Research Lab. A man who holds 3 of the original patents on which the personal computer is based. And he has a total of 30 patents pending. He is an IBM fellow.

Why is this man virtually unknown even by those who use computers every day of their life? The answer to that one is clear and obvious. I don't even have to tell you.

He developed the PC AT (Advanced Technology) which defined the industry standard architecture for most personal computers used today.

He was inducted into the inventors hall of fame in 1997

www.youtube.com...

Born in Jefferson City, Tennessee, Dean holds a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from the University of Tennessee, a master's degree in electrical engineering from Florida Atlantic University and a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Stanford University. Dean is the first African-American to become an IBM Fellow which is the highest level of technical excellence at the company. In 1997, he was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.

Currently, he is CTO for IBM Middle East and Africa, previously, being an IBM Vice President overseeing the company's Almaden Research Center in San Jose, California.[citation needed] Dean now holds more than 20 patents.[original research?] Dean led a team that developed the interior architecture (ISA systems bus) that enables multiple devices, such as modems and printers, to be connected to personal computers. Dean also led the design team responsible for creating the first 1-gigahertz RISC processor chip, another significant step in making computers faster and smaller.

en.wikipedia.org...(computer_scientist)

When you think PC (personal computer), Mark Dean does not readily come to mind. Mark who?, you may ask.

Dr. Mark Dean is an engineer who has played a leading role in the development of the personal computer—which has spearheaded the technological revolution in education, industry and every facet of modern life.

As a member of an IBM research team to develop a more effective desktop computer, which ultimately became known as the IBM PC, Dr. Dean and his colleague Dennis Moeller created the interior architecture allowing the computer to share information with peripheral devices such as disk drives, printers and scanners.

Although this development helped place the power of the personal computer at the disposal of every business and home, Dr. Dean did not rest on his laurels. Instead, he moved on to develop the PC AT (Advanced Technology) which defined the industry standard architecture for most personal computers used today. Dr. Dean is also responsible for leading the team that developed the first 1-gigahertz microprocessor chip at his Austin Research Lab.

Dr. Dean holds 3 of the original 9 patents on which the PC is based, and has a total of more than 30 patents pending.

In 1995 he was named an IBM Fellow, becoming the first African-American to achieve this honor, which is held by only 50 employees of the current workforce of 200,000.

In 1997 Dr. Dean, along with his co-inventor Dennis Moeller, was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame, where he joined two other eminent black members, George Washington Carver and Dr. Percy Julian.

During his 20-year career, he has held a number of engineering positions in the field of computer system hardware architecture and design. Dr. Dean is currently Vice President of Systems in IBM Research, responsible for developing next-generation hardware and systems technologies: systems covering pervasive to supercomputing environments.

www.brandnewz.com...

So there you have it folks, the true inventor behind the PC. Dr. Mark Dean. Alive, healthy, African-American and still at it. Take your time to review the posted links and please do research him yourself. This guy deserves his recognition.

Last but not least, SPREAD THE WORD!!

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
... He was inducted into the H.F....

Granted, he does deserve his due respect amongst the general populous such as the others have gotten.

Why make this a race issue? Isn't it folks like you that keep the cycle going?? honest question.
edit on 5-10-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Steve Jobs just died.
Whether you like him or not....have a bit of respect.
Now you want to get race into this and be disrespectful at the same time??

I think it might be just a bit too soon to bring this up.

edit on 5-10-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

what " steve jobs lies " ?????????????????????????

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
What exactly is the point of this thread? That Steve Jobs totally jacked this dude for his idea and wants to be credited? I don't get it. Or are you bringing this up to start some kind of hate war?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Dean's story is fascinating but, in the world we live in, the guy built the engine and Jobs designed, enhanced, improved and sold the car.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This isn't a race issue, it just amazes me that no one seems to know this. If he were Asian I would have said "And He's An Asian".

Him being African-American is just a fact. Why be mad at that

In no way shape or form did I ever disrespect SteveJobs in this post. I am just giving props where props are due and spreading TRUTHFUL documented information so as to deny ignorance.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
...I, for one, have heard of Mark Dean.
what makes you think that the "obvious reason" behind most people not knowing his name is that he's black? Couldn't it also be equally obvious that perhaps he's not a "spotlight" type of person? that he didn't seek power like Bill Gates did, or have the on-stage presence that Steve Jobs did? Could it be that he was more interested in working in a company than owning one? That he preferred working with computers to talking with humans?

There are so many possible options, why jump to the race conclusion?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Dr. Dean started working at IBM in 1980.

Apple was established in April of 1976. Selling of Apple I started in July of that year.

While a major part of the history of personal computing he was not the first.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProphecyPhD
This isn't a race issue, it just amazes me that no one seems to know this. If he were Asian I would have said "And He's An Asian".

Him being African-American is just a fact. Why be mad at that

In no way shape or form did I ever disrespect SteveJobs in this post. I am just giving props where props are due and spreading TRUTHFUL documented information so as to deny ignorance.

...quoting something like this:

Why is this man virtually unknown even by those who use computers every day of their life? The answer to that one is clear and obvious. I don't even have to tell you.

implicitly suggests that you agree with it.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by KySc5
What exactly is the point of this thread? That Steve Jobs totally jacked this dude for his idea and wants to be credited? I don't get it. Or are you bringing this up to start some kind of hate war?

Steve Jobs didn't "jack this dude" he just enhanced what "this dude" invented. Steve Jobs is one of the founders of the PC that we are using right now to discuss this.

All i am doing is stating a little known fact in the hope of denying IGNORANCE and spreading the truth (which is usually hated, fought against and suppressed).

Stop saying Steve Jobs created the PC because he in fact did not.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Granted, he does deserve his due respect amongst the general populous such as the others have gotten.

Why make this a race issue? Isn't it folks like you that keep the cycle going?? honest question.

You asked a excellent question. The reason is if you've read many posts on this site then you know many think blacks have not contributed anything other than to entertainment and sports. The OP pointed out this man has given the world something substantial yet he's not known for it. When people think of computers they think of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates but not this man. Actually when someone point out anything positive in regards to American blacks on this site it's immediately summed up to be negative and "racist".

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The title is a little misleading. It's true Dean did invent parts of the pc but not a pc as a whole. He invented the first 1Ghz processor but Intel invented the first micro processor.

In November, 1971, a company called Intel publicly introduced the world's first single chip microprocessor, the Intel 4004 (U.S. Patent #3,821,715), invented by Intel engineers Federico Faggin, Ted Hoff, and Stanley Mazor. After the invention of integrated circuits revolutionized computer design, the only place to go was down -- in size that is. The Intel 4004 chip took the integrated circuit down one step further by placing all the parts that made a computer think (i.e. central processing unit, memory, input and output controls) on one small chip. Programming intelligence into inanimate objects had now become possible.

Inventors of the Modern Computer

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

Originally posted by kimish

You asked a excellent question. The reason is if you've read many posts on this site then you know many think blacks have not contributed anything other than to entertainment and sports. The OP pointed out this man has given the world something substantial yet he's not known for it. When people think of computers they think of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates but not this man. Actually when someone point out anything positive in regards to American blacks on this site it's immediately summed up to be negative and "racist".

Bingo, you summed it up! The way people are that certain races are trash because you don't know what they did.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
...I, for one, have heard of Mark Dean.
what makes you think that the "obvious reason" behind most people not knowing his name is that he's black? Couldn't it also be equally obvious that perhaps he's not a "spotlight" type of person? that he didn't seek power like Bill Gates did, or have the on-stage presence that Steve Jobs did? Could it be that he was more interested in working in a company than owning one? That he preferred working with computers to talking with humans?

There are so many possible options, why jump to the race conclusion?

It was the fact that there isn't ONE thread on him on ATS.

Or the fact that you can type all the way up to the E in Dr Mark Dean and nothing will pop up in Google.

Or maybe the fact that the YouTube video i posted and linked had 1,998 views when i posted it.

Stop being mad at his race and just accept the facts for what they are.

I am African-American and very proud of this man. I wish this were common knowledge.

If i found proof that Jesus was black and i posted it would you say i was being racial then too

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Well, yeah, but neither did your guy. And Jobs definitely didn't "jack" what Dean did. Jobs was doing it before Dean. And if Jobs didn't invent the personal computer he damn sure made it more accessible to the common man. You appear to have a racist agenda and bringing it up immediately after Steve Jobs death is boorish and crass. Shame on you.

ps

Not trying to belittle Dr. Dean's accomplishments here as they are truly a major part of the history of the PC.

edit on 5-10-2011 by wasco2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
The title is a little misleading. It's true Dean did invent parts of the pc but not a pc as a whole. He invented the first 1Ghz processor but Intel invented the first micro processor.

In November, 1971, a company called Intel publicly introduced the world's first single chip microprocessor, the Intel 4004 (U.S. Patent #3,821,715), invented by Intel engineers Federico Faggin, Ted Hoff, and Stanley Mazor. After the invention of integrated circuits revolutionized computer design, the only place to go was down -- in size that is. The Intel 4004 chip took the integrated circuit down one step further by placing all the parts that made a computer think (i.e. central processing unit, memory, input and output controls) on one small chip. Programming intelligence into inanimate objects had now become possible.

Inventors of the Modern Computer

As a member of an IBM research team to develop a more effective desktop computer, which ultimately became known as the IBM PC, Dr. Dean and his colleague Dennis Moeller created the interior architecture allowing the computer to share information with peripheral devices such as disk drives, printers and scanners.

CREATED THE INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE ALLOWING THE COMPUTER TO SHARE INFORMATION WITH PERIPHERAL DEVICES SUCH AS DISK DRIVES, PRINTERS AND SCANNERS.

Debunk that my friend

We can call an iPhone a computer but it isn't a computer, it is computerized technology.
edit on 10/5/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: We can call an iPhone a computer but it isn't a computer, it is computerized technology.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

CREATED THE INTERIOR ARCHITECTURE ALLOWING THE COMPUTER TO SHARE INFORMATION WITH PERIPHERAL DEVICES SUCH AS DISK DRIVES, PRINTERS AND SCANNERS.

Debunk that my friend

They are talking about the IBM PC which was introduced in 1981. Five years after the first Apples. He worked on the first PC developed by IBM. Not the first PC ever.

edit on 5-10-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Debunk that my friend

They are talking about the IBM PC which was introduced in 1981. Five years after the first Apples. He worked on the first PC developed by IBM. Not the first PC ever.

edit on 5-10-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

If it can't share information with a disk drive or any peripheral device it is not considered a personal computer.

edit on 10/5/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: personal (computer)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Yeah, this seems to be making an issues out of a non-issue, using Jobs' death to imply some racial slight of this man since he wasn't mentioned in tributes to Jobs.

But to nitpick, he seems to have invented the IBM-compatible architecture, but after Apple had defined the PC with it's Apple I's and II's. Apple was the first to use the term "PC", but later PC became synonymous with IBM compatibles, while Apple PCs became "Macs".

If you want the true architect of the PC, look at this article:
“Digital archaeologists” excavate the microprocessor that ushered in the home computing revolution

In August 1974, a group of eight design engineers left their jobs at the semiconductor company Motorola to create a low-cost computer microprocessor with a competing company, MOS Technology. Within a year, the team built a tiny wafer of silicon and metal smaller than the size of a person’s pinky fingernail called the MOS 6502. The new central processing unit (CPU), which is essentially the brain of a computer, would revolutionize its industry by enabling computers to come into the home. The 6502 was inexpensive and easy to program—two features that ultimately helped it sell tens of millions of units.

Those units (or minor variations of it) eventually found their way into several classic computers, many of which were the first to appear in homes in both the U.S. and the U.K. in the late 1970s and early 1980s. They could be found in Apple Is and IIs, Commodore PETs and 64s, BBC Micros, Atari 2600s, and Nintendo Entertainment Systems. The chip’s influence also enabled the mobile computing of today—the British company ARM makes microprocessors inspired by the simple elegance of the 6502 for devices such as the iPhone, Blackberry, and Android smartphones.

It was this chip that made possible the very first "kit" home personal computers, even if they weren't thought of as "PCs" then.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join