It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stem cells created from cloned human embryos? hmm...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Stem cells created from cloned human embryos

Scientists for the first time have derived thriving colonies of embryonic stem cells from human embryos created using cloning technology.

Scientists hope the cells could one day be used to treat or even cure diseases like diabetes, and usher in an era of so-called “regenerative medicine.”

Now before we get to excited about this breakthrough..

But there is an important catch to the announcement. Unlike normal stem cells, the cells obtained by the team also included DNA from the human eggs used in the process, resulting in a highly abnormal 69 chromosomes rather than the usual 46.

So. This all reminds me of something out of the movies ('The Island' anybody?)
Interesting to see where this takes us, eh?

The future is here!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I agree with having this technology for curing someone that is sick...i.e. grow a kidney or a liver..I get it. But I don't think science should tread in the territory of trying to create a human being, just my thoughts...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

edit on 5-10-2011 by redstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

sounds like good news to me. Am i right in thinking that this is like a loophole past bush's laws banning stem cell research from embryos?

a link would be cool

edit on 5-10-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sith9157
I agree with having this technology for curing someone that is sick...i.e. grow a kidney or a liver..I get it. But I don't think science should tread in the territory of trying to create a human being, just my thoughts...

These embryo's are not working so they are just a drain on society. At least this way they are a productive member of society for a little while at least.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
shoot im sorry guys. heres the link!
MSN

apparently there is a time limit in which i can edit my post.
sorry.
Link above!
edit on 00/00/0000 by ka119 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sith9157

Oh no..another technophobic hillbilly..

complains about technology while using technology..

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)

Yes, one of my daughter's major was on stem cell research, (sadly she has not been able to compete with foreign students with grant), so she is working at a bank.

Anyway, she told me that one of the biggest problems with cloning is that the cells DNA degrades or mutates that is why cloning can never become an alternative for peoples treatments.

But let the big profiteers get away with it, and we may have a new market for body parts that actually are a danger to natural human DNA alteration.

top topics

join