It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Jobs Dies: Apple Chief Created Personal Computer, iPad, iPod

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I feel sorry for his friends and family, that's about it

He did great things, hardly a revolutionary
I never cared for overpriced, elitistic, fancy toys
People picture him like he invented the toilet paper or something

RIP Steve

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Well I suppose I was speaking in hyperbole. He will be remembered but comparing Steve Jobs to the Beatles is retarded.

You're right. The Beatles are still highly overrated, but surely Steve Jobs wasn't.

Thank you, Steve: If it wasn't for you, I would probably still be stuck doing things I hate for a living. But you provided me with the tools and affordable software to pursue my filmmaking dreams while Bill Gates was busy ignoring us.

I've had a blast shooting and editing all over the country and the world. Your creative toolkit made a difference in my life and I will never ever forget that!

edit on 6-10-2011 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
its always sad when someone dies so my sympathies are with his friends and family

I never bought an apple product in my life ( i'm just not cool/hip enough) but I came to respect steve jobs & apple in the way enemy soldiers respect each other.

Jobs had an incredible ability to sell overpriced & underspec hardware which was locked into their "ecosystem" to gazzilions of isheep err i mean people. He made them one of the most valuable companies in the world. That demands respect.

RIP steve jobs but i'm still gunning for you apple

edit on 6-10-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
People die every day and it can't be a surprise to anyone that this particular person has passed away after years of illness and speculation. I feel sorry for his family but that's as far as it goes.

Anyway, apple products are hugely overpriced, over-rated and under powered but some people just can't see past the aesthetics and hype. It's like a cult. People don't buy apple products because they're actually usefull. They buy them because they think it gets them into some sort of club.

RIP Steve, but it's also incredibly ironic that he was killed by "PC" in the end.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
reply to post by GoodOlDave

If you cannot sell what you build you are a hobbyist. Apple found itself in that position before re-hiring Steve Jobs. His credits are an incredible marketer for making folks aware of Apple's products. He also played a large part in the design, form factor, usability and UI of Apple devices. He deserves those kudos in my book.

They didn't hire Jobs. The engineers Jobs convinced to leave Apple and form NeXT created a unix based operating system that Apple wanted, so to buy the rights to the OS Apple had to buy the company, and Steve Jobs made sure that the terms of buying the company included him coming back to Apple. The only reason Jobs even sold Next was because even then he was raping his contomers with astronomical pricing and the company was foundering.

You do know Apple sued Jobs on the grounds that he was basing NeXT technology on Apple's company secrets, right? Jobs didn't even hesitate to steal from Apple.

Edit: Apparently he was a good neighbor as well,

He was also a dirtbag who got a woman pregnant and denied paternity for two years, but I don't care about that any more than I care about how he was as a neighbor. That was his private life not meant for our prying eyes so I leave such things at that. It's his plundering other people's ideas and energy and passing them off as his own that disgusts me, not to mention, how sh*tty he treated Steve Wozniak despite his supposedly being his friend.

Do YOU destroy YOUR friend's start up company behind his back? That's pretty high on the "douchebag" scale regardless of how you present it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
RIP Steve.
I'm not an Apple fan, but when I was in Jr High and High School, my computer programming classes were all Apple Basic based. One of my first jobs post-Army was reapairing Mac floptical and optical drives. I'm sure if I had gone in an artistic career direction that I'd have had more of a positive opinion of Apple/Mac. Ad agencies, newspapers, magazines, etc.. were always crazy about their Macs.

Watch this movie about Steve and Bill. Quite interesting and reveals the vast differences between the two:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
wow...Consumerism at its best...He took an already existing mp3 player and added some features sold it for 10x more than its worth to idiots that need to have the "latest and greatest", And you guys pin him up like he's some sort of hero? Don't get me wrong its upsetting that he has passed away but the reaction he has gotten? He did nothing to improve mankind, He did nothing to improve the way we communicate that wasn't already done.

As was said, yes he was great at taking money from tendy teens, He also stole many other idea's and sold them for 10x more than they were worth (Tablet pc's have been around a lot longer than ipads have and mobile phones were around long before an iphone was devoloped fyi). Some of the ignorant comments in this thread make me lol...He invented apps? Er no I don't think he can claim that one either. I seriously doubt he had more than a couple great idea's and the rest were probably thought up and made by his employees.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
Anyway, apple products are hugely overpriced, over-rated and under powered but some people just can't see past the aesthetics and hype. It's like a cult. People don't buy apple products because they're actually usefull. They buy them because they think it gets them into some sort of club.

THIS!!!! A while ago I went to a coffee shop near a university, and the place was filled with university students using macbooks. The wall to wall shiny white plastic made me feel I was in the housewares section at Walmart.

Jobs got them to think they're being oh-so-sophisticated and running against the herd, but all they're really doing is runing with some other herd. If you want to be counter culture, go Linux.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Esotericizm

i think his talent was knowing what the average consumer wanted & being able to charm them into buying it for a big price. I'm no apple fan but you can't deny he shifted a lot of units. His colleague at apple called this the steve jobs "reality distortion field"

The RDF was said by Andy Hertzfeld to be Steve Jobs' ability to convince himself and others to believe almost anything with a mix of superficial charm, charisma, bravado, hyperbole, marketing, appeasement, and persistence. RDF was said to distort an audience's sense of proportion and scales of difficulties and made them believe that the task at hand was impossible.

from wiki here en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 6-10-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

How are you going to now compare him to Bill Gates? Jobs took an idea from someone else, re-branded and sold it to idiots willing to pay 3 times the worth of the product. Again, he was a marketing genius but that's where it ends. I get the retarded Beatles analogy, it's a HORRIBLE one.

Where are you getting this from? The only story I've ever heard is that "Bill Gates stole the idea for a graphical operating system and the mouse from Steve Jobs". After a search, I have found nothing to back your statements. Can YOU find anything to backup what you're saying?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I, too, feel for his family as they are experienceing a loss. However, Steve Jobs was a horrible human being. The world won't miss him in the least. And, he was a thief and copycat, not an innovator.

This story sums it up-

In the wake of Steve Jobs’ death, stories of how great a man he was is the current headline across the nation. His accomplishments speak to his genius as one of the world’s leading innovators of the IPhone and IPad. This guy even painted himself as a spiritual person. But even in the midst of his own genius, Steve Jobs had a dark soul. As owner of Apple, he was directly responsible for the production of the IPhone and IPad at factories in China where there had been a countless number of suicides among discontented workers during the months of March and April of this year. At several Foxxconn plants where Apple products are made, there have been horrendous policies in place such as workers being forced to work between 80 and 100 hours of overtime, workers being forced to stand on their feet for 14 hours a day, and workers being forced to sign No-Suicide Pacts as a condition of employment. According to the pact, the families of employees have to promise not to sue the company, cause any trouble that would interrupt operations in case an employee commits suicide, or bring any negative attention to the practices of the company. In addition, employees are literally crammed into company-owned dormitories. Employees living in a single dormitory room range from six to twenty-two. “Some of my roommates weep in the dormitory. I want to cry as well but my tears have not come out,” one worker told SACOM, a Hong Kong-based advocacy group, which contends that many of the practices that led to more than a dozen workers committing suicide in the months of March and April of this year continues to be perpetuated at Foxxconn factories.

This is Steve Jobs' legacy.

Source

link   

Two points, Dave.

Why are you so angry? And second, you've got to source all those claims. I'm pretty well read, and I've never come across any of that.

He employed many people, kicked the tech sector in the shins and raised the bar for all of us to compete harder, not to mention he helped make computing "cool." Beyond that, he was someone's father, husband and friend... and now he's gone. A lot of people from all walks of life are sad to see him go.

link   

Originally posted by yeti101
i think his talent was knowing what the average consumer wanted...

That's a bit of it, but more importantly, Woz says it the best: Video: Wozniak remembers friend Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs pushed the engineers to do new and different things. An imperfect man? Yes. But who isn't?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

He was a marketer with input into the design of Apple devices. Long gone were his years as a developer.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

All that says to me was that he made a few good decisions and was in the right place at the right time. Im sure alot of employers push their employees in the same sort of manner.

And to be honest the concept of "open source" software/hardware has had alot more of an effect in the IT world than steve jobs will ever have..

Regardless R.I.P

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Damn there is alot of stupidity in this thread - steve jobs didnt ask people to sign suicide pacts for employment he went to foxcon who produces items for many companies. And gave them more projects which in turn led to hundreds of thousands of jobs that wouldnt have been there otherwise. Despite how poor they were those people took them because that's how it is in China.

And sorry to the haters but dicks are what makes the world go around, not the people who try to tear them down. Woz was and is a fat lazy loser who got played. Sorry guy from Jurassic Park don't go play with raptors and you won't get eaten.

Steve Jobs imac and iphone and tablet set the mark, the sales have proven that and forced competitors to trim costs which benefits everyone else. The 35 dollar Indian tablet couldn't have happened without the kind of process innovations and price reductions for manufacturing that the ipad spurred.

He didn't just happen to be there he made it happen and you should all thank god there are still people in this world who can and do.
edit on 6-10-2011 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is it just odd that people are praising a guy who helped "big brother" by 'creating' and distributing these mass surveillance devices? Have we all forgotten what these devices are capable of?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88

Two points, Dave.

Why are you so angry? And second, you've got to source all those claims. I'm pretty well read, and I've never come across any of that.

The answers to both are the same- the book iWoz, Steve Wozniak's biography. He specifically says that when he left Apple he wanted to create a startup company that made universal remotes, but Steve Jobs used his influence to force all of Wozniak's vendors to pull their support or else lose their Apple contracts. It was from Woz' biography that I even learned that Jobs asked Woz to design a circuit for Jobs while Jobs was working at Atari, which Jobs claimed as his own and pocketed huge bonuses while only giving Woz a few bucks. Added to the fact that Jobs got all the fanboys to think he's the one who invented the computer industry rather than Wozniak, that makes him a gigantic putz in my book.

If you are in the technology field IMHO it is your obligation to buy Woz' book in tribute to the genuine inventor of the computer industry. I'm not a hater; I just choose to reserve my reverence for the true creative geniuses who wound up becoming victims of Jobs in the end. I honor John Lasseter of Pixar literally for the exact same reason.
edit on 6-10-2011 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

He employed many people, kicked the tech sector in the shins and raised the bar for all of us to compete harder, not to mention he helped make computing "cool."

Incorrect. Apple employed many people and Pixar employed many people, not Jobs. I notice Pixar is still going strong even after Jobs left so all these Apple fanboys are going to be immensely surprised when they find out that a post-Jobs Apple will continue to go on strong as well. This is becuase his actual involvement in these companies was horribly exaggerated.

Jobs didn't make computing "cool" either, it was the software devolopers who did that. Personally, I'd have to give "made computers cool" title to Infocom. Their adventure games were the best in the business.
edit on 6-10-2011 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I don't get it...this man had more money than anyone and as far as I can find, he didn't donate to one single charity. He sold products to schools at prices 5 times what they should be. He limited production so people would have to pay more. I mean $1.29 per song!!! get real...Amazon sells the same song for $0.39. Steve Jobs is an enemy of the people and yet people worshipped him like he was a living god. I'm not religious at all but I do know one should never, EVER worship another living human being...especially one who has gouged you for every product you ever bought from him. Sorry if this is the wrong place and or the wrong time for this, but mourning this man seems be against everything we as a society are fighting for right now.

HE IS THE 1%

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenny71
Steve Jobs was a complete success story. From being adopted to billionaire. Not only was he a success he wanted to improve the world and the common man with technology. His story is endearing as it is compelling only to be shadowed by the man he was.

You'd think a man who was abandoned by his real parents wouldn't fight paternity on his own daughter, but Jobs did. Even going so far as to swear in court that he was sterile and could not be the father. Of course everyone in his inner circle knew she was his from the start, but not Steve.

So while he lived the high life as a multimillionaire his daughter was on welfare, moving constantly and never stable.

He may be a visionary businessman, but as a person he was an egomaniac who only thought about himself.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join