It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street: A U.S. version of the Arab Spring?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
There are many similarities between Occupy Wall Street and The Arab Spring:

1. They were begun by the disaffected younger generation.
2. The people demanded more social and economic equality.
3. The protests began as non-violent marches and sit-ins, while the authorities employed more and more escalating violence.
4. They were all empowered by social media.
5. The governments censored the protests as best they could (as they did here with a 2 week media blackout).

Now some people think the comparison is absurd. I don't. While the Arab protesters were shot at, we haven't seen where it is going here yet. But we have seen a "let them eat cake" moment. And we have seen peaceful protesters being beaten and maced.

We'll see where it goes, but I see a lot of similarities.

Article Linked: Occupy Wallstreet - A US Version of the Arab Spring?

Yes. This is the start of something big: "America is about to experience the same youth-driven, hyper-networked wave of grassroots protests against economic inequality and political oligarchy" that rocked the Arab world, says Micah L. Sifry at techPresident. Instead of fizzling out, this messy, amorphous demonstration of disgust with the bipartisan, pro-greed "Washington Consensus" is only spreading, and will pick up this week with backing from unions and progressive groups.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

And now, Egypt has a military government. You want that? I don't.

All the others are either shooting at each other or have been made nonexistent in the region, all the while things are getting worse for the common people as entities consolidate power.

And the media didn't censor them, they just ignored or rather, mocked them...kinda like the Tea Party in its beginnings.

Meet the new man, same as the old man.

edit on 5-10-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Whilst I agree that there are similarities, I think there is reasonable difference between the two. As TDawgRex has mentioned, nobody has been shot yet- beaten and maced yes but not shot. We get beaten and maced here at football matches, the police just like doing it I think.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

And now, Egypt has a military government. You want that? I don't.

All the others are either shooting at each other or have been made nonexistent in the region, all the while things are getting worse for the common people as entities consolidate power.

And the media didn't censor them, they just ignored or rather, mocked them...kinda like the Tea Party in its beginnings.

Meet the new man, same as the old man.

That is wildly inaccurate. You're just another mouthpiece for the corpocracy and the ultra wealthy and you don't even know it.

1. Egypt is being governed by interim council, setting to create new elections. Mubarrak was the military dictator.
2. The media did have a total blackout of the protest for 2 weeks before it was finally forced down their throat from social media.
3. You're just sore because the tea party, in several years, couldn't pull off what this movement has done from the beginning. Actually get out there.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

You don't read much news, do you?

Only websites that fit your view?

Take the blinders off...it's a big bad world out here and it doesn't play fair.

Egypt has a interim council run by the Muslim Brotherhood and Military. Both great groups I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Mate, not blowing my own horn here but check this thread out; George Soros' Sympathy For Wall Street Protesters

Now, who's supporting the corprocacy? Follow the money back from Adbusters and you'll find Soros is a major contributor...yes, George Soros...oh wait, maybe he has the peoples best interest at heart and wishes for complete freedom and liberation for all with no gain for himself

new topics

top topics

join