It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY State Senators Say We've Got Too Much Free Speech; Introduce Bill To Revise 1st Amendment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Being offended is entirely subjective. What may offend you may not offend me and vice versa. You can't legislate for it.

Legislating freedom of speech takes us one step closer to a fascist state.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You know, there is one thing the US has that almost no other country has in this planet and that, my friend, is your freedom of speech.

Other countries have SOME freedom of speech, but it doesn't go as far as it goes in the US.

Here in Brazil the problem is that brazilians can't take a joke for what it is. A joke. Recently, in a live comedy show, one of the hosts was comenting about one of our singers who is pregnant, but still looks very hot. The other jumped in and said "I would do her and her baby."

Dude, you can't imagine how big this is right now. It's like front page news. It was a live comedy show on TV. Come on! Give me a break! And it wasnt that bad. Now they suspended him from the show, he had several appearances in other shows cancelled, his own partners from the show criticised him harshly, the singer and her family demanded an appology and that he should be punished, a bunch of brazilians are commenting saying he was out of line and even sponsors threatened to pull their advertisings from the show. This is absurd. It was just a joke.

I just used that example because I doubt the same thing would happen in US. Again, you have something almost no other country in this planet has and they are trying to take it away from you. Dont let them!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

The same thing would happen in the US.

While we might enjoy free speech, meaning we can say what we want.. There will be consequences. So many people in the US wouldn't understand the joke. The media would hype the crap out of it, the guy would lose his job and the networks would give him the cold shoulder. Not because what he did was illegal, but because it wasn't PC.

And again, can someone please link to this alleged BILL? I have searched and searched, cannot find it. What is linked in the OP is not a bill. It's nothing like a bill. It is a REPORT put out by some think tank. This should be moved to the HOAX SECTION unless someone can provide us with either a link to, or the name of this alleged bill.

I can't believe so many people believed this, posted about it.. They either didn't read the material provided in the OP or they've never seen a piece of legislation.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

i checked up on both the linked site and the referenced doc.

there were no authors listed in a pdf written almost entirely in ALL CAPS.

meh.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You are correct, it is not a bill but a report from a special Democratic committee which is the incubator for future bills. www.nysenate.gov...

So often bills read like this report thus my confusion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join