It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Simpsons may be ending :(

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

A salary dispute is threatening to end one of television's most beloved comedies.

The actors who provide the voices for the long-running cartoon hit "The Simpsons" are at odds over a new contract with 20th Century Fox Television, the production company that makes the series for its sister broadcast network.

The studio is seeking to dramatically cut the mid-six-figure pay per episode of the key actors who voice the show including Dan Castellaneta (Homer), Julie Kavner (Marge), Nancy Cartwright (Bart), Yeardley Smith (Lisa), Hank Azaria (Moe the bartender, Chief Wiggum and Apu) and Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns and Ned Flanders).

In a statement, 20th Century Fox Television said it "cannot produce future seasons under its current financial model."

A staple of the Fox lineup for more than two decades, "The Simpsons" has been a cash cow for Fox parent News Corp., generating billions of dollars in rerun and DVD sales, as well as merchandise, video games and a feature film. But its ratings have tumbled over the last few years.

This season, "The Simpsons" has averaged 7.1 million viewers. That is a drop of nearly 19% from five years ago, when the show averaged 8.7 million viewers. In the coveted category of viewers ages 18 to 49, ratings for "The Simpsons" have fallen 17%.

This sucks, the Simpsons has been one of my favorite TV shows of all time and it may be ending in the 23rd season. The longest running TV show in history may be done. I sure hope they come to some agreement and keep this great show running. I still watch every new episode and even old re-runs, if they have to cut something get rid of American Dad!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
being from Springfield that sucks

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

American dad and Family guy are the two main reasons that viewership would have dropped off. They are frequently, wet-your-pants funny and the simpsons can't compete with their edginess.

It's sad I know.

Maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars per episode is too much to pay, MAYBE it's too much to ask.

Are these voice actors gonna pick up new jobs when the show is axed?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The Simpsons haven't been relevant since the 90s

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
8 million a season and they can't renegotiate??
When is enough enough?

If its all about money then screw em...let them end.
Just knowing that....I will boycott them from now on.
They are willing to allow it to end one of the best cartoons ever for their own greed and egos??
Bunch of greedy jerks!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Ok I love The Simpsons as much as the next guy but it's about dang time!!!
They had a good run. Lets give someone else a chance.
edit on 5-10-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
FINALLY!

They have been going downhill since season 8.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I am a fan. A huge one. I have never missed an episode since the show's inception and have all of the seasons that have been put out on dvd. That the show would end over a money dispute makes me kind of sad but greed is the name of the game these days and obviously these people feel as though the service they provided is worth such a lofty amount. Given the success of the show I can understand that even if I dont necessarily agree. If the show ends it will be a bittersweet thing. I have gotten very used to those characters and watching them evolve over 20 years. But as someone else said, they have had a good run. I could watch any episode a million times and still laugh and as long as I have my dvds Im all set.

And while Family Guy may be a hugely successful show, I dont think it will ever be what the Simpsons was or is and there are plenty of people put off by Seth Mcfarlane's brand of humor...myself among them.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
being from Springfield that sucks

Which one?
That's a running joke on the Simpsons. There are a lot of Springfields in the states.

Yeah, I've been done with the Simpsons for years.

Smell ya later!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

The longest running TV show in history may be done.

It's the longest running animated T.V show in the world, not the longest T.V show.

There is a show here in the U.K called Coronation Street that has been running for 50 years.

I prefer Family Guy nowadays, but that's probably because I prefer my comedy with a little more randomness.The Simpsons were great to begin with, but it has lost quite a bit of its sparkle over the last few seasons.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

My bad, left the animated part out. Thanks

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I like the show also. I hope it will not end. I agree it is sad that it will end over greed. I am sure the voice actors they have are the best available, but it is also voices they are paying for. I would think they can find other people to do the voices for one heck of a lot less money. No it wont be the same but I am sure it will still be good.
Because it is a cartoon it could get canceled now and come back later, but still I hope it will continue.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Honestly it's about time. I used to rearrange my life to watch The Simpson's. But over the last 5 years or so I can't justify that any more. Their brand has gotten stale when trying it on new episodes. Now if a re run from the first 10 years is on, I will stop and watch. But this new crap? No. I saw the first showing of the movie when it came out after not watching it for a while and was highly disappointed. It should have ended a while ago.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

Bahaha! that was a great Episode. Great memories and times. Its been a long good run at least. Farewell Springfield. The Simpson's will forever live in our hearts and minds, happily bringing that smile or laughter to a person who is down and out. Jah Knows we need that in today's day in age.

edit on 5-10-2011 by Pegasus2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Simpsons’ Actors “Have a Cow” Over Salary Cuts; Series Could End

The cast members earn a reported $8 million each per year for 22 weeks’ worth of work. Their salary would be reduced to around $4 million after the proposed cuts.

Oh no. They will only make $4 million dollars. What a freaking crime. I wish I could make half their salaries per year. Please, if they can't take a few cuts in this recession then they don't deserve to continue being on the air.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Every time they make the artwork better, the show sucks more. Basically crap for many years now. Die Simpsons, die.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Haters!

Sure, The Simpsons were pretty bad from seasons 13-17. But even the worst, unoriginal and rehashed side show bob episode is better than the best American Dad episode. Seriously, I only watched one of those shows because My Morning Jacket was on it and it was awful. Worse than any bad Simpsons episode. Fox became the Seth McFarlane network too long ago. A show about Cleveland? Are you kidding me? What garbage!

That being said, go back and watch seasons 17 and on. They got their mojo back. But they're feeling the pressure. The first episode of this new season felt veerrrrryyy Family Guy.

You know how I know it felt like Family Guy? Because there was no coherent plot and no characterization - just random stupid stuff happening, like bad improv comedy in cartoon form.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
fox just renewed them up through season 25

Simpsons renewed for 2 more years
edit on 7-10-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

top topics

join