It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about Political Correctness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
First of all, I hope not to offend anybody that is not my intention, this is a question I am asking out of curiosity.

In America the politically correct way to address a black person is by calling them African American. But if you were from Libya for example and not black, but lived in the United States you would be addressed as middle eastern perhaps as your appearance may look more middle eastern than black and it is not PC to refer to these people as African American. Likewise if you are Asian we don't refer to you as American Asian we would just say Asian and if you were a Mexican we wouldn't call you Mexican American, just Mexican.

So my question is for those of you across the pond. What is the PC way to refer to a black person? Cause I have never heard the term African-Europian or African-Australian. Just curious.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Well, in my opinion, I don't find the term "African American" quite correct. Now keep in mind that I DO NOT speak for everyone when I say this. I see the term African American as someone from Africa who has now become an American citizen. If anything, I'm black. Not an African who became an American citizen. That's my two-cents on it. For all you guys who can't read THIS IS MY OPINION AND I'M NOT SPEAKING FOR EVERYBODY. JUST MY OPINION.
edit on 5-10-2011 by KySc5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I have no answers as I am the last person on this earth to ask PC advice.

In my opinion, if you are an American citizen then you are an American. Not African-American, not Asian-American, not Mexican-American, but American.

If anything, PC is making things worse. By making distinctions such as this, it is only contributing to the division of the people of this country.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by KySc5

Thanks and I didn't think that it would offend a black person to ask the question but occasionally you will come across the type that might find that question offensive and for that matter it might even offend somebody who is not even black. So I just wonder why we always have to tip toe around the race issue here in America, is that something that they do in other countries or is it exclusive in America because of the whole slavery in the south thing?

Edit to add, I would just rather refer to you as black or American.
edit on 5-10-2011 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Why not just call them by their name,And why are whitey's the only ones who dont get offended by this PCBS.?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Thats a good idea. If I knew your name that is how I would refer to you. I would not say "hey asian person" or "hey black dude"

Not all white people don't get offended, some are offended quite easily. But IMO the term honkey or cracker do not offend me. I think it's a little bit rude, but it's not offensive.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

My son, on his school papers actually wrote cracker in the race sections of the forms.

I have not heard a word from the school. They probably never even looked at them.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Well you're right being PC does not make anything better if anything it makes it worse. I don't think we should use slang terms to refer to another race, but then again people will always use slang and there is no way to enforce such behavior, but it seems that when the race card is played it gets people panties all in a bunch. What is wrong with us in America?

And the minority thing, I am pretty sure that there are just about as many black people, asians and mexicans in America where whites are the new minority, but thats beside the point. Theres minorities in every country and they are not always colored people.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I'm a result of a black father (from Montana) and a white mother (from England), though her roots are Scottish.
I carry a dual citizenship while serving in the American Army.

You want to talk about confused?

How about Yank. Or Brit. (I answer to both)

Or nappy-headed cousin?

It doesn't matter. I answer to everything but #%@$%@$#%$@

How about people just lighten the hell up and get over how much melanin someone has in their dermal layers of skin.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Exactly, we all have different origins. So what and technically speaking we are all immigrants to this country unless native american, but there I go being all politically correct again...what I meant to say was Indian or wait...North American.

Still waiting to hear from across the pond on this one.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

PC has been a detriment to human social structure in the West.

It just gave us a whole new set of labels to put on ourselves. We might as well have built automated voice censors. I understand that perhaps at one point, it was a good idea to keep people civil, now it's just in the way of us moving forward.

I don't see it as black, or white or asian. I see people as human. You're not my black friend, you're my friend Steve.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Black.

See, only in America and Canada is someone defined by skin colour followed by nationality.

I've seen one total idiot whose username and references to himself in forum posts was "Irish-Canadian" because he's from Canada but has Irish roots.

I have Irish roots too but was born in England to parents born in England so I'm English. Never understood that whole African-American or others because if you're born in a country, you're whatever describes the nationality of someone from that country.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Political Correctness is just plain out and out evil.

I'm offended by the fact that you're offended!

I look at all people I deal with on a day to day basis and treat them as human beings, until they tell me that they want to be labeled.

"Ok," I'll say. "You're a ....(T&C forbids the use of expenatives).

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
black is black white is white yellow is yellow. be more concerned by everything else you say man.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
If I was concerned about what to call someone and didn't know their name? I would ask their name and call them that. Politics about peoples titles are not an issue unless your trying to make them an issue. So if your from africa and are a citizen of The US does it matter if your African American or African or American. I would ask the person who I am so concerned about..Let them tell you what they feel.. In all my life I have to say, This is the first time I have ever heard of such concern.. Makes me wonder..

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
forget political correctness theres only one label you need to know

when you live in america your an american but when you constantly seek to promote the differences in people instead of promoting their common bond thats nothing more than a means of control.

forget hypenated names forget man,woman,rich,poor.whatever "color" you happen to be all those do is just a tool to create and maintain divsion.

politics is another story.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

IMO, I think that all Americans, regardless of genetic history or ancestral citizenry, should simply be referred to as American.
If an individual is a naturalized citizen and wishes to be called by a hyphenated designation, such as African-American, then they should let it be known. I personally knew a South African gentleman of German descent (caucasian) who naturalized and chose to call himself African-American, and had to fight for the right to do so.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I have never really understood the use of an artificial designation such as race anyway. What people are referring to is genetic background, not race.

We are all members of the human race, aren't we?

edit on 7-10-2011 by gamesmaster63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by gamesmaster63

I have never really understood the use of an artificial designation such as race anyway. What people are referring to is genetic background, not race.

Yes we are all human.

Just saying Black is cool for me. African American is more formal. In certain jobs you HAVE to say African American but black is the norm.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by gamesmaster63

You mean the human species, not race.
I don't get why the term race is applied to a species in this case.
It's common but meaningless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join