It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet found that has Ocean-like water! Strengthens argument that life evolved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This thread could belong in many places but as it improves the probability that the elements of life came from space, I'll put it here in Origins and Creationism. Obviously mods feel free to move it as you see fit.

First Comet Found with Ocean-like Water

The source of earth's oceans has been a subject for debate among astronomers for decades. Until now, asteroids were thought to have provided most of the water. Now, however, Herschel has shown that at least one comet does have ocean-like water.

"Life would not exist on Earth without liquid water, and so the questions of how and when the oceans got here is a fundamental one," said U-M astronomy professor Ted Bergin, "It's a big puzzle and these new findings are an important piece."

Comet Hartley, as imaged by NASA's EPOXI spacecraft

Six other comets HiFi measured in recent years had a much different D/H ratio than our oceans, meaning similar comets could not have been responsible for more than 10 percent of Earth's water.

The astronomers hypothesize that Hartley 2 was born in a different part of the solar system than the other six. Hartley most likely formed in the Kuiper belt, which starts near Pluto at about 30 times farther from the sun than Earth is. The other six hail from the Oort Cloud more than 5,000 times farther out.

The science of early Earth is always fascinating! This is just one more piece of the puzzle that explains that life on Earth started with elements floating around out there!

edit on 5-10-2011 by Thermo Klein because: fixed "ex" posts and added a line

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It also further stengthens the fact that life is also available on other planets. Many many more planets. Now it may not be human type of life form but baterial life form.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It also suggests that alot of people should take another look at Immanuel Velikovsky's work. He was essentially laughed out of the scientific community when he made the suggestion that earth's water came from a close encounter with another celestial body. He also said that the moon had an atmosphere decades before it was proven true. Strange how things change...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Dear Mr or Ms Klein (may I call you Thermo?),

With a name as utterly delightful as yours, it is absolutely imperative that you read the late James Blish’s famous novelette, Surface Tension. If you haven’t already, of course. You will love it.

By the way, could you please explain how the presence of deuterium in terrestrial oceanic proportions in comet water implies that life ‘evolved’ (rather than what? springing fully armed from the head of Zeus?)?

I do realize it leaves our fellow-member mnemeth1 with even less of a leg to stand his marvellous Electrical Uniworse on, but that, surely, is a mere side-effect?

Your fan,

Astyanax

reply to post by jtma508

It also suggests that alot of people should take another look at Immanuel Velikovsky's work.

You know, for a moment I thought the sign in your avatar said ‘National Gullible Party’.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I'm still convinced that all creation stories are an explination of evolution. I wish people would stop addressing it different than this...

Creation stories explain the coming of man, and what we are made of, and where what we are made of came from... they just dont cover what man evolved from, rather just the building blocks(tower of babel and language of dna) of what man is.

I can't present a very good arguement at the time for why this step was left out, but I would suggest that it had nothing to do with the aim of the story, for if they did include this, it would be waaayy too long of a story, and metaphorically speaking, extremely difficult. As well, they had a very limited language and alphabet during their creation.....

new topics

top topics

join