It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India announces $35 tablet computer to help lift villagers out of poverty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Now this is interesting.

The computer, called Aakash, or “sky” in Hindi, is the latest in a series of “world’s cheapest” innovations in India that include a 100,000 rupee ($2,040) compact Nano car, a 750 rupee ($15) water purifier and $2,000 open-heart surgery.

Washington Post

The goal is to get computers into the hands of 220 million children.

I have never heard of anything like this before, and my first thought is if this kind subsidized technology will actually work?

Will the country also pay for internet access and training for those who have probably never seen a computer before?
If this works, will this have the desired effect for India?

And what would the effect be on the rest of the world's technology producers?

Sorry, more questions then answers for me on this one.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
It might work; a huge part of it depends on how affordable $35 is to these people. If they can't afford that, it doesn't matter if it costs $35 or $3500. I wouldn't mind if they sold these in North America; seems like a good deal!

I remember seeing a project a few years back where a group was working on making laptops for under $100 for Africa; same idea. (here) That might be where this tablet computer project got its inspiration from.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonsDemesne

How good can a 35 dollar computer be?

If people are in poverty, you are right, even 35 dollars might as well be 500 dollars.

If they did give these computers to low income children, they might be resold or destroyed. Other then connecting them to the world, how would it lift them out of poverty?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
At that price the rivers will fill with toxic materials.

I'm a little confused as to how having a computer lifts one out of poverty.

In the US several schools have tried the old "give a kid a laptop" trick with the end result being pawned laptops, games played in class, and school districts trying to peep naked students via webcams.

Maybe the idea is computer literacy will spread? Well, I work with the public and their computer literacy. Let me tell you right now that having a computer in the home does not equate to computer literacy. I've run across teens and early twenty somethings, even 30 somethings, who have had at least one PC in the home for the majority of their life and all they can manage is some thoughtless fumbling through Facebook and playing Flash games while ignoring the ungodly amounts of malware that they dump into their machines.

For what is essentially ancient technology and basically found at every municipal dump, tag sale and roadside across America people still have no clue what the hell they're doing when they plop their asses down in front of one of these modern "idiot boxes."

Giving them all tablets isnt going to change that. It's just going to give the African waste dumps more gadgets to burn the gold out of.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
nothing but a waste. just more handouts...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I had that thought as well. How do they figure the computer will lift someone out of poverty?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The goal is to get computers into the hands of 220 million children. I have never heard of anything like this before, and my first thought is if this kind subsidized technology will actually work? Will the country also pay for internet access and training for those who have probably never seen a computer before? If this works, will this have the desired effect for India? And what would the effect be on the rest of the world's technology producers? Sorry, more questions then answers for me on this one.

India has a massive IT sector. .Most people in India have seen a computer and know what it is for....although many of the poor people would not be able to afford one...
As for training.. I have never met such an innovating culture.. I am sure they will have no problems working out how to use them....
Kudos it is a good idea....

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I cant see these being any good even if they are for children.

new topics

top topics

join