It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

taking God out of Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
What would happen if we took God and angels and heaven out of religion? I believe that all the core beliefs of religion are good things ; try to help others. But when i hear about God, angels and heaven it makes me think of the ancient aliens group. they are both great stories but where is the real proof, both camps will take some "evidence" and spin it to prove their own point. I have seen both groups say that the Bible is absolute proof that their group is right. If we stopped teaching the next generations about God how would any body know about him and would it really change the core values and beliefs of religion?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jed001

I believe that all the core beliefs of religion are good things ; try to help others

You are misinformed.

If this were the case the Catholic church wouldnt be the largest land owner in the world.
Preachers wouldnt be flying around in $125,000,000 private jets.
There would be NO homeless people, there would be NO starving people...you get the idea

Maybe that was the purpose of it in the past (I doubt it...it was for control)...but it certainly hasnt been for a few hundred years.

Go to a church, tell them you are hungry, homeless and in need of help....see how quick they turf you off the property

edit on 5-10-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jed001

God doesn't have a religion.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
reply to post by jed001

I believe that all the core beliefs of religion are good things ; try to help others

You are misinformed.

If this were the case the Catholic church wouldnt be the largest land owner in the world.
Preachers wouldnt be flying around in $125,000,000 private jets.
There would be NO homeless people, there would be NO starving people...you get the idea

Maybe that was the purpose of it in the past (I doubt it...it was for control)...but it certainly hasnt been for a few hundred years.

Go to a church, tell them you are hungry, homeless and in need of help....see how quick they turf you off the property

edit on 5-10-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

you are probably right it is a shame that it is that way now. i never understood why a priest need a Mercedes to spread the word of god

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jed001If we stopped teaching the next generations about God how would anybody know about him and would it really change the core values and beliefs of religion?

There is no such entity as "religion". Do you mean "Christianity"? In this case, yes. There is much of the Theology that rests on specific aspects of God and much of it is part of the core of Christianity.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leahn

Originally posted by jed001If we stopped teaching the next generations about God how would anybody know about him and would it really change the core values and beliefs of religion?

There is no such entity as "religion". Do you mean "Christianity"? In this case, yes. There is much of the Theology that rests on specific aspects of God and much of it is part of the core of Christianity.

i'm sorry when i said religion i meant all religions . what ever religion and all powerful maker you chose to believe in I think that they are all interchangeable. as far as " Christianity" goes when you add an all powerful non-human being living in a parallel universe it just starts sounding silly to me .In my opinion in this day and age when i hear some one talking about God and heaven i just roll my eyes . because there has never been any real scientific proof of God or ancient aliens; faith is a wonderful thing but lets not confuse it with the truth

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not steal.

That is pretty good stuff to live by and the word God was never mentioned.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jed001

I see you have never studied any philosophy. At the risk of dragging myself into a useless discussion, I ask; "why".

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

reply to post by jed001

I see you have never studied any philosophy. At the risk of dragging myself into a useless discussion, I ask; "why".

Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods. Read more: www.answers.com...

how can you logically prove the existence of God

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jed001

Please, do not avoid the question. Although your argument in no way detracts from what I said, it is rather rude to ignore another person's argument while pretending that you have replied to it.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

reply to post by jed001

Please, do not avoid the question. Although your argument in no way detracts from what I said, it is rather rude to ignore another person's argument while pretending that you have replied to it.
\

Why, Why must there be an all powerful being to make religion viable for everyone , Why must the name God be attached to wonderful truths to make them more believable , Why must there be a righteous God ready to punish those who do not follow his rule, Why must there be a heaven to go to , Why can't people do the right thing because it is the right thing and not for a big pay off in the afterlife

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jed001

Please, do not avoid the question. Your emotional outburst is in no way a reply to the direct question that I asked you.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
This comment may not get the best responses, but, I have studied alot of different religions and by no way am I an expert. I do think though that all of the religions do spark from one central event, god, entity, divine power, or what ever you want to call it. My take is that religion is going to be set straight the moment we have proof of other life (visited, disclosure, etc), everything will have to be re-thought including religion. Just my thought.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

reply to post by jed001

Please, do not avoid the question. Your emotional outburst is in no way a reply to the direct question that I asked you.

i don't feel that i am being emotional or avoiding your question . i think i have answered your question based on the conversation there are many answers to the question "Why" i think i have answered them for this conversation

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

reply to post by jed001

It's actually rude correcting someone with "quotation marks" and following up with the belittling "I see you haven't studied any philosophy *sigh*". Treat others how you would like to be treated, and certainly don't cry when someone throws your fire right back at you.

edit on 5-10-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

reply to post by jed001

i do not have the answer to "why" but i appreciate you asking , because now it gives me a reason to find the answer

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShallNotFearTheFuture
This comment may not get the best responses, but, I have studied alot of different religions and by no way am I an expert. I do think though that all of the religions do spark from one central event, god, entity, divine power, or what ever you want to call it. My take is that religion is going to be set straight the moment we have proof of other life (visited, disclosure, etc), everything will have to be re-thought including religion. Just my thought.

i am just looking to open a discussion on this, i was brought up Roman Catholic; but i believe that i am a person of logic and when something does not make sense to me i can not just take it on faith

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Stop thinking in semantics!
Has it occurred to you that one can be a spiritual person without necessarily being religious...?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The reason why God is relevant, despite not appearing on those sentences, is that Christians and Jews only consider those things "the right thing to do" because God said so. If you remove God of the equation, you're left with a void that you must fill. The 'why' question I made.

Moreso, even though it is true that many concepts of religion do not rely on God's existence, it does not detract from my argument that many core concepts of Christianity are directly dependent on God's existence. In example, repentance by Christ's sacrifice, and afterlife in Heaven. They are core concepts of Christianity that cannot exist without God.
edit on 5/10/2011 by Leahn because: edited because he answered the question in another reply.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirenofthedead
Stop thinking in semantics!
Has it occurred to you that one can be a spiritual person without necessarily being religious...?

i could not agree more

top topics

<<   2 >>

join