It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Efforts to Defund or Ban Infant Male Circumcision Are Unfounded and Potentially Harmful, Experts Arg

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Regarding the age question, I have heard a few stories of men having to get circumcized as adults and it was supposed to be pretty brutal.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
Preventative mastectomies sure would decrease the incidence rate of breast cancer.

You make a seriously provocative point. It's determination as a "necessary" procedure falls under the same rationale. So that is a great weakness in the argument in favor of infant circumcision.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

epi effects both mother and child, and no an invasive procedure requires an hospital stay you are at the doc's office and it takes 20 mins start to finish name me 1 invasive proceedure that is done in 20 min.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FriendlyGopher

You mean like tonsils, warts, having tubes put in ears?

Parents have to make decisions for their children, plain and simple.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Maxmars

Regarding the age question, I have heard a few stories of men having to get circumcized as adults and it was supposed to be pretty brutal.

No argument there. Although I didn't experience adult circumcision, those I know who did - did not 'relish' the experience in any way. I suspect none of them would deny that 'brutal' can be used to describe the recovery process. But I must add, in honesty, that none of them ever professed to have 'regretted it.'
edit on 5-10-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MissCoyote

Actually some states medicaid program doesn't pay for epidurals.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Do you think they would tell you if they did?
Hey, I made a really bad medical decision regarding my reproductive system?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

that would highly upset men whom enjoy looking at a womans rake. I got a mascetomy because I carry the bc gene my grandmother died of breast cancer my fiance' wants me to have boobs and would pay threw the nose for them. but breast cancer and masectomies aren't the topic on the table.

Had I had to pay the entire amount coming to 395 dollars for his circ I would have STILL shed the cash. and as for having control.........when your child commits a crime you have to be there in the courtroom to answer to the judge as to why the child did what he did. so yes, i believe it is our right.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
Preventative mastectomies sure would decrease the incidence rate of breast cancer.

This is the point I was going to make. We could prevent ALL STDs by cutting off the entire genitalia.

To me, circumcision is mutilation and I would NEVER do it to my son. However, people do a lot of things with their kids that I don't approve of.

Should parents be banned from piercing their baby girl's ears? If I had my way, no parent would be able to do ANY unnecessary cutting on their children. But we have to consider the freedom of parents to make certain decisions for their kids. I don't think that should include cutting... Let the kid decide when he grows up.

This thread moved so fast!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissCoyote
reply to post by Maslo

epi effects both mother and child, and no an invasive procedure requires an hospital stay you are at the doc's office and it takes 20 mins start to finish name me 1 invasive proceedure that is done in 20 min.

Invasive procedure is usualy defined as one that breaks through the skin. Epidural does not affect the child in any significant way.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It just seems this is more of an emotional debate, rather than a scientific factual debate.

There is no proof one way or another, only a handful problems that have arose from the procedure that normally causes no problems.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

www.livestrong.com...

and so what am i suppose to do go back to the doctor and BEG for my sons foreskin the whole centimeter that they took. Cry because i destroyed my sons sex life. ugh ya know and THAT is why activists for the gimme my skin back foundation should leave the matter alone. its an option let it be a fricken option.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissCoyote

next there going to say women don't have the right to an epidural for labor.
that will start a texas chansaw mass.

"WHAT!?! no epidural!? Its okay, i'll make do with wrapping my hands around your throat doctor!!"

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

As I said, epidural has no significant effects on the baby. Significant meaning comparable to invasive and permanent circumcision.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
in Africa, amongst a lot of tribes, circumcision is a 'coming of age' ritual, performed by local elders, or medicine-men, under total unhygienic conditions, with the same unsterilized knife amongst may teenagers (many whom are HIV-positive) , and you just need to google it, or read local newspapers to see how many youngsters die every year from infections, or loose their whole manlyhood from infections, or get AIDs afterwards...... Good or bad, I don't know, but heck, if you want to have male circumscriptions as a rite of manhood, then you'd better have it performed under proper medical supervision......

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Although, what happens when the kid turns 18 and decides to have it done. Afterwards, the kid says, mom/dad I wish you did this at birth so I would not remember the pain or have to deal with the healing process.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

Rather that than your kid turning round at 18 and saying, "WTF dad, why did you chop off half my tackle and deny me 70% of the sensation of sex? Did you hate me or something? Did I do something wrong that I needed mutilating as punishment?"

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Fetal Distress
Difficulties After Birth
Effects of a Longer Labor

Nope not significant. not at all.

Reasons for Procedure
In the US, the procedure is mostly done for cultural and/or religious reasons. It is usually done on babies within the first few days of life. It may be done on older boys or men if there is a medical reason.

Certain health benefits are thought to be associated with circumcision. Many health professionals believe these benefits are slim. Circumcision may be associated with decreased risks of:

■Urinary tract infection
■Phimosis (tightening of the foreskin, which can be severe enough to close off the opening to the penis)
■Penile cancer
■Certain sexually transmitted diseases like HIV infection

Possible Complications
Complications are rare, but no procedure is completely free of risk. If you are planning to have your son circumcised, your doctor will review a list of possible complications which may include:

■Infection
■Bleeding
■Reaction to drugs used for anesthesia
■Unsatisfactory cosmetic outcome
■Decreased penile sensation
■Damage to the tip of the penis

Factors that may increase the risk of complications include:
Infants with bleeding disordersInfants with a family history of bleeding disordersInfants whose mothers were taking blood thinners during pregnancyInfants with penile deformities whose foreskin may be needed to repair the deformityPremature infantsInfants with infections or serious jaundice at the time of the circumcision
What to ExpectPrior to ProcedureThe doctor will carefully examine the baby. This is to ensure that the baby is in good health and that the penis appears normal.Blood and/or urine tests may be done.Your baby may be given a pacifier dipped in sugar water to suck on. This has been associated with decreased pain.An anesthetic cream may be applied to the penis 60-90 minutes before the procedure. This will help to numb the area.Injected anesthetic may also be used.AnesthesiaResearch shows that the best method of anesthesia is a nerve block. This is an injection of anesthetic into an area around the penis where the nerves run to the penis. This causes the penis to become numb.
Description of the ProcedureThe baby will be carefully restrained on an infant board or by a chosen individual. The anesthesia will be injected.

The doctor will pull the foreskin away from the body of the penis. Any areas where tissue still adheres to the penis will be swept away. The excess, unwanted foreskin will then be cut away. Rarely, stitches may be used to sew the remaining bit of foreskin into place. Petroleum jelly or antibiotic ointment will be smeared on the penis. A bandage may be applied.
The foreskin can be removed a number of ways. Some use a simple scalpel to remove foreskin. Others may use one of several devices to ensure an even circumcision and clamp blood vessels. These devices include the Gomco clamp, Plastibell device, or Mogen clamp. The Plastibell device is left in place instead of a bandage. It falls off on its own within 5-8 days.
How Long Will It Take?About 15–30 minutes
Will It Hurt?With appropriate anesthesia, the baby should feel only minimal pain.
Post-procedure Care After the procedure, be sure to follow your doctor's instructions, which may include:
Change the bandage, and clean the circumcised area at every diaper change.Apply petroleum jelly or an antibiotic ointment to prevent the diaper or bandage from sticking to the penis.
There may be significant swelling of the penis and/or a clear scab over the area of circumcision. The penis should be healing well within 7-10 days of the circumcision. If a Plastibell device was left in place, it should fall off on its own within 10 days.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I'm not so sure it was just 1 cm though

This link states that circumcision removes 15square inches of skin by the time that infant reaches adulthood.
judith-lee.suite101.com...

Haven't done a ton of research on this subject, could be wrong. Maybe someone could add more?
edit on 5-10-2011 by Mellok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Actually i'd just like to add, those who are comparing male circumcision to female circumcision are getting their wires crossed. Both are counted as "mutilation" in my book, but they occur for very different reasons in modern times.

Foreskin is removed on the concept that its cleaner and therefore reduces the risk of carrying and spreading infections. Whereas the women's procedure is to reduce the risk that she might actually get something from sex, other then 9 months of retarded hormones finished by a painful childbirth and 18 years of a mini adult giving her [edit snip]!

edit on 5-10-2011 by Maxmars because: Mod EDIT: Please do NOT circumvent the automatic censor. It is a violation of the T&C.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mellok

when they took it off my son it was a centimeter of extra skin.....no man has a 15 in yang
at best we can get guys that clock 9

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join