It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest conspiracy in history, Climate change denial.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The only thing humans are causing is their own demise, the planet will be fine.

If we don't smarten up, clean up our act, develop sustainable safe energy, stop playing "god" with nature, stop polluting our bodies and our environment, and bring an end to our hubris, we're going to be the next species on the brink of extinction... and it won't have a damn thing to do with this anthropogenic global warming crap.

We're killing ourselves by killing our environment, not the planet.

This 3rd rock from the sun will continue for another 4.6 billion years, it will thrive, it will replenish, it will renew, it will adapt, as it always has... we will not.

Humans are just a blip on the timescale.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

but are also getting thicker and expanding as of 2006
All the latest research predicts the Arctic will be ice free during the summer months by mid century. Antarctica is losing land based ice at an ever quickening pace, likewise the greenland glaciers are receding faster each year.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Truth is that it means less taxes/regulation on all of us if we say climate change not real whether it is or not. I personally, find it highly suspect, because now they dont seem to know if its warming or cooling, now its just changing.. Anyway, all the plans laid out for lowering CO2 levels, even by the scientists own numbers, dont do anything signifigant to lower the levels of CO2 over the next 100 years.

Add to this, that there is little demand for the electric cars, solar cant compete, wind cant compete, their is no cost effective way to store the electicity solar and wind produce and they are intermittent, etc.... The whole green energy thing is a boondoggle at this point, though I do have hope that in 50 yrs or so these things can become competetive.

So truth is your stuck with oil for at least the next 50 yrs, and probably more.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Convicted because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge

True, but we're taking out a lot of other species with us (and already have).

Are we proud that we're causing a geological extinction event? Just because we want more money and can't figure out how to use the off switch?

If anyone is remembered, it'll be those who spoke up.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

The earth has survived catostrophic events beyond the scope of our imaginations. But that is besides the point. Manmade global warming, along with many other factors including deforestation, over fishing, the population explosion and unchecked polution to name a few, are driving unprecedented change on this planet. Change that is happening so fast animals can't adapt, change that is likely to reduce our population to 1 billion by the turn of the next century. We need radical action to adress the problem right now, and maybe lessen the impact of the horror thats unfolding in front of our eyes. Here is an example of the beauty we are in danger of losing. What right do we have to deprive future generations magificent sights like this? What right do we have to push huge numbers of animals on this planet to extinction?

Lost forever...
www.youtube.com...

edit on 5-10-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

The explanation is simple. Most scientists are liberals or democrats. They look for liberal or democrat explanations. So most of the scientific results support their internal desires. Essentially, they're cherry picking the natural world. This is also a form of confirmation-bias since it's driven by their internal desires. So there you have it. It's not fancy. It's not funded by a million dollar organization or a crowd of protesters. It's simple and short and likely to be forgotten. But if you remember it, kudos to you. Most people won't because they assume science is balanced.

When there're more than a few percent of republicans in the climate science field, I'll believe the consensus conclusion. But right now, that's not the case. There're just too many liberals.

Don't believe it. You cannot separate climate change policy from political idealogy. They want to combat AGW through government policy and actions. This makes government bigger, which supports liberal desires. In most matters on this planet that involve humans, there're always alternative approaches. Everything from healthcare to defense to education to anything else. Different people cling to different methods for different reasons. Politics is -always- involved.
edit on 5-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontlaughthink

how does it [carbon dioxide] hold or bounce back infrared heat up in the atmosphere. ?

Oops, somebody never took Physics II or Organic Chemistry or Thermodynamics in school. CO2 doesn't "Hold or bounce back infrared heat". It is itself heated by infrared energy.If you use a spectrophotometer to look at the emissions from the sun that warm the earth, you will find that they are electromagnetic emissions in the visible and ultraviolet portion of the EM spectrum. The energy of those photons, according to the formula E=hv, is absorbed by the earth. As a warm body, the earth then radiates energy back in the infrared portion of the EM spectrum. That energy hits certain compounds such as CO2, methane, and water vapor, and because of their absorbtion spectra, those compounds are energized. They vibrate, and since heat is simply what we call such atomic or molecular movements, they get hotter. Since heat flows from hot to cold, and never the other way, the heat from these gases further heats up the surrounding oxygen and nitrogen, which are the majority components of the atmosphere. And the atmosphere doesn't stratify by weight. The respective percentages of the various components in the atmosphere remain pretty isotropic from sea level up, primarily as a result of convective, advective and/or orographic lifting and mixing.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd

how does it [carbon dioxide] hold or bounce back infrared heat up in the atmosphere. ?

...................And the atmosphere doesn't stratify by weight. The respective percentages of the various components in the atmosphere remain pretty isotropic from sea level up, primarily as a result of convective, advective and/or orographic lifting and mixing...........

Are you saying that lighter elements like helium can be found near the surface, rather than far out in the exosphere or whatever? Or are you saying that it's not strictly by atomic weight? Because I was told in class that denser elements tend towards the surface.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
HAHA! bow to your miserable religion of global warming, I mean climate change, I mean its called SEASONS

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by STEADFast
HAHA! bow to your miserable religion of global warming, I mean climate change, I mean its called SEASONS

haha ye, first it was called Global warming then when the warming stopped they called it climate change,next it will be called "Weather Terror" lol

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Um, hmmm. Do you realise that most don't argue against it and that the debate is actually whether or not it's man made? See it's hard to blame man when geological history shows that it's happened plenty of times in the past.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by CranialSponge

True, but we're taking out a lot of other species with us (and already have).

Are we proud that we're causing a geological extinction event? Just because we want more money and can't figure out how to use the off switch?

If anyone is remembered, it'll be those who spoke up.

There's no doubt we've caused the demise of many a species however there's been extictions long before we arrived and they'll be happeneing long after we're gone.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
reply to post by MamaJ

I agree with you that we have trashed the Earth. However, to think that drilling for oil has somehow created global warming is ridiculous. The dinosaurs would be left wondering who was drilling during their life should that be the case.

Even if you want to argue that humans have contributed to, and sped up global warming by say 100 years....1000 years....it doesn't matter one bit.

1000 years is not even a drop in the bucket when you consider the planet as a whole. We are so insignificant in so many ways yet our egos have somehow let us believe that we can, if we throw enough money at it, stop the entire planets periods of cleansing and renewal.

People should clean up the Earth because it's the right thing to do. Not because we think that it will prevent the Sahara Desert from ONCE AGAIN becoming fertile, lush land.

Well yeah ...it is the nice thing to do.

I don't think drilling for oil is creating Global Warming....I just said I think we contribute to the harm of our home.

I actually believe in sea warming..... I didn't have time earlier to really make myself clear.....was in a hurry to go to work.

If ya really wanna know what I think....here is a link that kind of sums it up.

www.iceagenow.com...

Here is what I said earlier......

Fracking, drilling for oil, pollution, creating weather events, oil spills, machines deep within the earth spinning unknown particles and the list goes on and on. I do not know how all of the above, if any of the above causes harm to the Earth but speculation and research leads me to believe Man is a complete fool for messing with the Earth the way he has. The Earth is living. We are depleting her blood (oil) and one day she may not be able to compensate with us inhabiting her and she may very well deplete us so she can sustain her own life. Like getting rid of a cancer so to speak. We are taking away her natural resources and placing an alternative into deep fracking holes. Sad. We trash her oceans and spill oil ....the dangers to the Oceans imo have been downplayed. The oceans are telling us they are ill. Ice caps melting, more methane, rising and warming oceans are not a good thing. We know very little about our planet, oceans, and solar system. We are in an infancy stage in regards to what we truly know to be facts. It doesn't seem as though we have much respect for where we live and in the long run we may just wish we had taken better care of our home.

edit on 5-10-2011 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by auraelium

haha ye, first it was called Global warming then when the warming stopped they called it climate change,next it will be called "Weather Terror" lol

No I disagree...

"Weather Terror" sounds to much like a right wing fear mongering term.

Now "Climate Instability" that sounds much more like an egotistical fluffy left wing term

But in all seriousness this debate has gone on for so long and I see no end in sight. The Global Warming pushers base their ideas off of a system of science which has been corrupt for years, it is so integrated into our politics that it is almost as bad as having hard right Dominionists in Government. Scientists of today are so self centered that they fail to admit when they are wrong, and worship the "theories" of old rather than attempting to prove those theories wrong (which IMO is the purpose of the Scientific Method).

That being said I don't believe in man made global warming. Instead of focusing on this, we should be focusing on the pollutants that are poisoning our air, water and other natural resources which the major corporations ARE guilty of. This is much more responsible than focusing on natural cyclical processes of the earth and sun.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Originally posted by 4nsicphd

...................And the atmosphere doesn't stratify by weight. The respective percentages of the various components in the atmosphere remain pretty isotropic from sea level up, primarily as a result of convective, advective and/or orographic lifting and mixing...........

Are you saying that lighter elements like helium can be found near the surface, rather than far out in the exosphere or whatever? Or are you saying that it's not strictly by atomic weight? Because I was told in class that denser elements tend towards the surface.

It is quite common to find helium near the surface since most of it is created on earth by radioactive decay, specifically alpha decay, where an atom emits an alpha particle consisting of 2 protons and 2 neutrons, which is a helium nucleus. There is a level in the atmosphere, sometimes called the exobase, above which molecular collisions re so infrequent as to be negligible and below which collisions are sufficiently frequent to maintain a completely isotropic and random distribution of molecular velocities. Below the exobase an isotropic Maxwellian distribution of gases is maintained. Above this level some of the molecules take an upward hyperbolic trajectory at a velocity sufficient to escape the earth's gravity,
If you're really interested, the formula to determine the Maxwell distribution is"
f(v)dv=4piv^2[m/2pikT]^3/2e^-mv^2/2kTdv.

For all this and more, get a copy of Physical Meteorology by Johnson, J.C. (MIT Press).

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I do not understand
I thought it was a race,
I heard that Gods son was coming back to destroy the planet?
Take his followers to a better place,
why care about a planet,
that God is going to destroy?
Man was created in Gods image
so he has the right to destroy,
same as gods that think this planet is a toy!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Wow, the level of knowledge about chemistry and physics expressed here is phenomenally low. If that ignorance is reflected in the people who need to make decisions then we are truly screwed.

The only saving grace is that maybe the level of ignorance shown by the deniers is a reflection of our modern texting/tabloid/blogging/tweeting way of life where we simply can't absorb any information spread over more than two paragraphs. Climate physics requires reading of analysis that goes over several pages......Denial via cherry picking can be tweeted.

I have gone to the denial websites I have read what they have to say and their evidence is cherry picked nonsense and broad brush statements based on no more evidence than a finger in the air. Ironically enough EVERY SINGLE MECHANISM expressed by deniers as a cause for warming has been thoroughly investigated and proven to be false. But hey ho let's not let truth get in the way shall we. Ignorance is bliss......

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Man made global warming, This rock has been in a state of change since day dot. We do not cause global warming or cooling we just contribute to it. How much well...... that is still being debated, and will be for a very long time.
We will only truly act when humanity is on the verge of extinction. and only then they will act if there is money to make or power to be had

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
Wow, the level of knowledge about chemistry and physics expressed here is phenomenally low. If that ignorance is reflected in the people who need to make decisions then we are truly screwed.

The only saving grace is that maybe the level of ignorance shown by the deniers is a reflection of our modern texting/tabloid/blogging/tweeting way of life where we simply can't absorb any information spread over more than two paragraphs. Climate physics requires reading of analysis that goes over several pages......Denial via cherry picking can be tweeted.

I have gone to the denial websites I have read what they have to say and their evidence is cherry picked nonsense and broad brush statements based on no more evidence than a finger in the air. Ironically enough EVERY SINGLE MECHANISM expressed by deniers as a cause for warming has been thoroughly investigated and proven to be false. But hey ho let's not let truth get in the way shall we. Ignorance is bliss......

Thats a pretty broad statement can you please elaborate on the what's why's and wherefore's? please thou who art so learned in the ways point us to these great mathamatical incorrections you have discovered?

you can start with this one from NASA;

www.forbes.com...

Then maby you can move on to this one...

www.science20.com...

Ok off you go, im all ears...

edit on 5-10-2011 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
OP Have you done any research at all??

The earths temperature constantly changes. Here is one website of many that show you the history of the temperatures.

www.longrangeweather.com...

Im very tired or I would say more... good night Al Gore is a crook

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join