It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece Shutdown by Nationwide Strike (Oct 5)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
What the hell they are rioting about? They have been spending more than they earn for years now... Germans should be rioting...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Sounds pretty bad, but they always liked striking in Greece, so who knows

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ruknus
What the hell they are rioting about? They have been spending more than they earn for years now... Germans should be rioting...

Because of this?

All of this should be a total no-brainer

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Whats the point in having a government if they can't pay you what they owe you for your honest days work? Yes this is the first domino on the way ot the mark of the beast.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I guess this is what you can really call "Greece is burning"

Hospitals and utility services affected? my god, when this rolls over into the US of A....

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Here is something that makes no sense to me?

BBC Article

At least 16,000 people have joined protests organised by the main unions in central Athens.

Thousands of people have gathered in central Athens to march towards Syntagma Square and stage a demonstration outside parliament. Protests were also planned for other cities

Flights and ferry services have been cancelled, schools, government offices and tourist sites closed, and hospitals are working with reduced staff.

Police have fired tear gas at small groups of protesters who were throwing stones.

I usually defend the police actions, but why the hell are they at work and not next to their fellow state employees? Why would they disperse crowds forming to fight on their behalf? Why are they not protesting the same cuts as everyone else?

Well I will defend them but a little, and all of the other folks out there waiting for trouble
Police: Fire: Physicians: Parameds: Nurses: Will not participate for the most part and here is why:

The people in the hospitals are still working because it is a matter of life and death. They may not want to be where they are but people will die if they abandon them. Further it is in the oath we take that requires we not abandon those in need. Nothing else comes first. Nothing. Not even our own financial viability. It is what we do. If people in those crowds are injured I am sure they would want medical help in the waiting, and I am also sure they would not refuse that help if they were dying in the process. We do what we do because we must. Not because we like it. I am sure the people out there demonstrating don't mind a bit that we are in the backgound waiting.
If the Postal worker on the other hand stopped his delivery in your neighborhood, you would not die.
The garbage worker can do the same..perhaps though but for a while until a danger comes from the sewage.

But - Police are also trained to save lives. Also..Drs, Nurses, Paramedics and Firemen; All are Trained to save lives.If those essential services stopped: There would be total anarchy with no one to stop the looting.
And then; Who would be the first responder? No paramedics in their ambulances? No Dr in the Hospital to do surgery? No Nurse in the hospital to give you life saving care?
Police are supposed to protect and serve though, and lately I have been noticing a more agressive behavior. I do suspect though it is the actions of a few that taints the entire barrel of wine. Never the Less;
Many police would never abandon their duty, save for perhaps a few chosen rogues. In fact none of those I mentioned would abandon their responsibility.
I personally would never abandon a patient. If you were that patient, you would not want me to, especially if I had just given you a blood transfusion which needs to be closely monitored. Unless of course you were willing to give your life for your cause. UH Well then; I still would not let you die.
Most police, fire, parameds, or any other trained servant would fist stop and render care. How would you feel if you were all alone, and dialed 911, and not a soul responded? I would imagine the police would much rather be somewhere else like on a nice comfortable beat. But sometimes they cannot.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

look on an active economic population of 5 or 6 mil there must be over 700,000 or maybe 800.000 working for the state alright, the general public sector thing... i cannot check the exact numbers now but it is a huge chunk... and the conditions of their employment it just cant be decribed like, extremely good wages for greek standards with very low expectations to deliver, huge benefits, short of gross misconduct practically unsackable and proper pensions.. all these esp if you compare them to the public sector which is a jungle in greece. Well the public spending for all these could not be supported without borrowing money unfortunately and the slight indication that a government was thinking of cutting down this oh well they would simply lose the next elections. full stop.

obviously this is not to downplay the importance of the wider financial system where the access to loans was so easy and national debts are traded for profit and governments are controlled by financial institutions that force them to debts and all but its not like greek society as a whole does not bear any responsibility for this situation

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The people were suckered into You can have your cake and eat it to....sort of like most of the United States, Canada and Europe....and now they are finding that you can't. Social entitlements with no way to pay for them, the buck stops somewhere.

(and yes, before someone tells me, the greedy bankers had their hands in this mess as well)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Anarchy keeps spreading even further, and deeper! Revolution is coming.

When the government is corrupt to the bone, you need a major change, or it's establishment who's gonna shut you down.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
So whose next, to voice there opinion on this "one world Government?" I do not blame, I do have compassion, But I believe that they asked the u.s. for a bailout and "WE" have no money but maybe if they asked the FED they might have been able but you never want to feed more money into a broke down car when the alternator and transmission head gasket and fuel pump and numerious other problems are to arise. So im patiently waiting to see who is next on the list to crumble under the fault lines in which they have built their government.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I usually defend the police actions, but why the hell are they at work and not next to their fellow state employees? Why would they disperse crowds forming to fight on their behalf? Why are they not protesting the same cuts as everyone else?

Simple, because the Police are NOT on the side of the people, and not even the other government employees.

They are a paramilitary force paid to defend the ultra-riches assets and their politician minions. They'll play the stupid machos as long as they aren't surrounded in their police stations and scared to death. Then they'll fall back and go home, and the corporate crooks will have to flee and the people will take back their land.

That's how a revolution happens.
edit on 5/10/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Why are so many people in Wall Street tonight?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

I couldnot have said that any better

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissCoyote
So whose next, to voice there opinion on this "one world Government?" I do not blame, I do have compassion, But I believe that they asked the u.s. for a bailout and "WE" have no money but maybe if they asked the FED they might have been able but you never want to feed more money into a broke down car when the alternator and transmission head gasket and fuel pump and numerious other problems are to arise. So im patiently waiting to see who is next on the list to crumble under the fault lines in which they have built their government.

No the troika and their buddies at Goldman Sachs and Moody's forced the Greeks into a bailout. The Greeks have little to do with these imbecile orcs who run the government, so please don't put everybody in the same basket. People are not the establishment.
edit on 5/10/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
Why are so many people in Wall Street tonight?

There are?

Probably Obama wanna make a big push for reelection.... or perhaps these protesters are for real. Dunno.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

I think the big Unions were supposed to start joining the OWS protest today at 3 p.m. I can't wait to see if they stay over through the coming days.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

Originally posted by MainLineThis
No to what? They brought it on themselves for crying out loud. If you mean what I think you mean, then you have absolutely no grasp whatsoever of what lead to this........

Oh, I know what lead to this...

The greek debt crisis started way before our current recession began.

Greece should never have joined the Euro in the first place, because their budget was never balanced to play by Brussels "Maastricht-rules" (the budget deficit must remain within the limit of 3% of the GDP).

Why was it unbalanced?
Because of tax infringements, corruption throughout their institutions and VAST military spending beyond their financial means.

How did they play by the rules then?
They didnt. The Greece Government cheated with the help of Goldman Sachs and other US investment banks (yeah, those guys again...), who "cosmetically" lowered the true deficit (using derivatives deals) and arranged further billion US-Dollar credits (using semi-legal hidden currency swaps).

THEN the recession hit.
It became harder to borrow money and without their own "souvereign" currency to devaluate (

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
man why is it dragging out so dam long? where is the chaotic upheaval that will change the face of the world and liberate us all? oh thats right....it couldnt afford the petrol to get here.

im getting pretty sick and tired of this dog and pony show. either try and enslave us or lets destroy them. one or the other. this slow drawn out campaign is boring as hell and increasing the suffering of everybody.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jonco6

His comparison makes sense to anyone with an IQ over 85. No one questioned why doctors were still working, or why nurses were still working, or why firefighters and ems were still working, so why would anyone with common sense ask why the police were still working? There are some jobs that are important enough to require 24/7 coverage, even when others are striking, and the people that work those jobs know this.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
wow..so is this it? is the the first domino? not like other dominoes haven't fallen already but this could very well be the tipping point, eh?

>> I don't think so YET...

... it depends on what happens after this strike.

Will the Greek people throw off the Banksters and Economic Predators that create these problems? Will the World Bank and other corporations ALLOW them to say; "Screw this debt -- we are starting over"?

If the Greeks just say; "You made a risky investment, and we refuse to become indentured servants so that some few people can be fabulously wealthy -- so we are deciding our destiny." It remains to be seen if some "disruption" doesn't take place, and maybe some military "support" to help the Greek Government -- it all depends upon how corrupt their government is.

It also depends upon HOW FAST they can force changes -- it it takes a while, then the various Security Agencies of Europe and America -- which really work for transnational corporations can manipulate the violence into a civil war.

>> If the Greeks however, do this quickly, and restore a New Order -- perhaps a new currency, it WILL BE the tipping point.

But I also expect the "propaganda to be thick and deep." You won't get good coverage from any of the usual media outlets in the USA, for instance.
edit on 5-10-2011 by VitriolAndAngst because: had to fix the HTML for quoting

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join