It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOTV Presents...: Life On MARS? - New Scientific Evidence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

If you considered the odds in your favour of being right were around 1000 Billion Billion to one...wouldn't you talk in a similar way too mate?

In other words, beyond all reasonable doubt.

If i had computed those odds, i'd be pretty cock sure of myself too.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

(shhhh...don't forget the 15,000 tonne methane plumes either...you ain't seen me right!)

Second line.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
If you considered the odds in your favour of being right were around 1000 Billion Billion to one...wouldn't you talk in a similar way too mate?
That's the problem, I would never consider such odds.

Saying that is the same as being completely sure of something, and when talking about something that we have seen only in photos (and not high resolution photos either), nobody, specially a scientist (although he is an astronomer, I think, and not a geologist), should be so sure about it.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If anything was scientific, it would be a fact now. The thing is none of these claims are scientific or any solid proof. Just another of the thousands assumptions. I think UFOTV should be called 'BelieversTV' because it seems to be presenting cases that are clearly not UFOs, in other words shows more things than those to be taken as reak,

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
reply to post by ArMaP

The so called faces on Mars don't really interest me as they could be as you say products of bad photos and good imaginations , but the glassy tubes , tree like structures and standing stone structures have always stood out as anomalous to me .
I have seen the explanations for the glassy tubes and remain unconvinced , though I guess the possibility that they are just a product of imaging remains a plausible , but not only explanation .

edit on 5-10-2011 by gortex because: grammar edit

As ArMaP said, those have all been explained through the newer, better resolution photo's. It just shows how wrong people can be when they rely on low resolution photo's and improper use of imaging software.

When these folks leap to those conclusions I'm betting its a follow the money issue. Even bad documentaries earn money. Lately I've noticed that the History and Discovery Channels have become the YouTube of the airwaves with all the nonsense they show these days. Sells ads and gets revenue so nothing wrong with it, but as viewers we have to question if we want facts.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

That's true, the hardest part (apparently) is the start of a life form, because after that, they find a way of adapting to the change in their environment and can keep on living in conditions in which they weren't able to start living.

The existence of some large, with no visible bottom, holes in the ground makes me think that's possible that Mars has some large underground spaces, where the temperatures are more constant and mild and where it's possible to have a local atmosphere, slightly different from the outside atmosphere, and a place like that would excellent to keep some adaptable life forms living for a long time.

Although there is a very good chance that MARS may have been home to some forms of life eons ago....and may even still have some form of Microbial life in sub-surface water saturated areas...your are INCORRECT in your statement that underground spaces would have anything that could be considered a MILD TEMP.

Unlike Earth...Mars is no longer geologically active and since it no longer generates any real enviromentaly protective magnetic field...thus the surface of Mars is bombarded mercilesly with solar and cosmic radiation...not only is the surface sterile...but there is no heat generation from a now dead planetary core.

On Earth...the temperature goes up in the soil as one tunnels deeper...on Mars...although even a few feet down would provide a somewhat minor protective shield from radiation...daytime sunlight heat...and night time cold...because the core radiates nothing mentionable for heat to the surface...subterranian caves with or without atmosphere....would be VERY COLD...too cold. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I don't think it is wrong to conclude that life MAY exist on Mars because the conditions to support life are there. I think it's likely absurd to conclude that we are the only life in the universe.

I do think that people who are or claim to be scientists should be more careful in how they present things in the videos.

I've also come to believe we place to much significance on titles. Too often so called PhD's end up having fake PhD's from one of those fake institutions, not to mention even scientists can be mistaken, delusional or just plain wrong.

That's why I remain a proud skeptic, even though I was a witness myself and saw a classic saucer in the 1960's up close directly above me for a few minutes. I'd be a liar if I called it Alien as it could well have been military in nature and without lying I cannot say what it was.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I don't think it is wrong to conclude that life MAY exist on Mars because the conditions to support life are there. I think it's likely absurd to conclude that we are the only life in the universe.

I do think that people who are or claim to be scientists should be more careful in how they present things in the videos.

I've also come to believe we place to much significance on titles. Too often so called PhD's end up having fake PhD's from one of those fake institutions, not to mention even scientists can be mistaken, delusional or just plain wrong.

That's why I remain a proud skeptic, even though I was a witness myself and saw a classic saucer in the 1960's up close directly above me for a few minutes. I'd be a liar if I called it Alien as it could well have been military in nature and without lying I cannot say what it was.

I like what you said here. There is an old saying that my co-workers say in one of my jobs. Those who are very good at what they know and do....actually DO IT!...and are paid well. Those that are not so good at what they know....TEACH! Split Infinity....LOL!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

It doesn't have to be about money, the whole history of Mars observations are coloured with poor imagery and misinterpretation, and even misinterpretation of what may have been already misinterpreted. Often this was a spur for further research, and improvement of design and method. I do suppose that the video is 'old hat' now, but you do see that, in the video there is a whole gamut of things going on that would be just as true if it were NASA 'making a case' or a court of law, or anyone else for that matter. It is a presentation, food for thought of the day.
The imagination is a funny thing, and can provide surprising results, Like Barnes Wallace's bouncing bomb which the inspiration was from skipping a stone across water, 'all' he had to do was make it work, and of course he did.
Then there came Kennth Arnold with his sighting, which he described as, "Like a SAUCER skipping across water" now there are current theories that an already levitating body could use earth's magnetic field to keep it aloft by "skipping across it" but all in this paragraph is either anecdotal or theorised so far, although a superconductor, can both levitate and run along a magnetic trail, and vice versa.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
Although there is a very good chance that MARS may have been home to some forms of life eons ago....and may even still have some form of Microbial life in sub-surface water saturated areas...your are INCORRECT in your statement that underground spaces would have anything that could be considered a MILD TEMP.
Well, in that case I have to ask, how do you know it?

Unlike Earth...Mars is no longer geologically active and since it no longer generates any real enviromentaly protective magnetic field...thus the surface of Mars is bombarded mercilesly with solar and cosmic radiation...not only is the surface sterile...but there is no heat generation from a now dead planetary core.
I know that, I wasn't thinking about temperatures being higher as you go deeper, like happens on Earth, I was thinking that, underground, there isn't as much loss of heat as at the surface, because the atmosphere loses heat much faster than the ground, so underground the difference between the maximum and minimum temperatures is smaller, and they are closer to the ground temperature at the surface, when heated by the Sun (temperatures on a surface exposed to the Sun are always higher than the air temperature above that surface).

As the maximum temperatures on Mars are not that low (I think the maximum is 20º C), I think the underground temperature can be (probably) mild when compared with the surface temperature.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Well, in that case I have to ask, how do you know it?

I know that, I wasn't thinking about temperatures being higher as you go deeper, like happens on Earth, I was thinking that, underground, there isn't as much loss of heat as at the surface, because the atmosphere loses heat much faster than the ground, so underground the difference between the maximum and minimum temperatures is smaller, and they are closer to the ground temperature at the surface, when heated by the Sun (temperatures on a surface exposed to the Sun are always higher than the air temperature above that surface).

As the maximum temperatures on Mars are not that low (I think the maximum is 20º C), I think the underground temperature can be (probably) mild when compared with the surface temperature.

My reply is directed at your statement of underground areas that are of lagre enough volume to hold any atmosphere. As I posted....shallow depth areas that have some quantity of water...that may actually become liquid from solar heating....maybe consistant with an enviroment that may harbor life.

Any deeper than this...lets say...10 meters down...in an underground cavern...even with ice...the temperature would be cold in the extreme. A Billion years of geologic inactivity would mean that this cavern would become colder and colder over time. Too Cold. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The "trees".

Even in the photo presented on the video, there were some indications that those weren't trees.

They showed this on that presentation:

But when we see more of the photo it starts to look less like trees.

When seen on higher resolution photos (although not exactly the same place, we can see that it's the same type of feature), we can see that they are just ground features.
(HiRISE photo ESP_011460_0980)

The second face looks less like a face when the Sun is not in the same position.
(HiRISE photo ESP_018223_1830)

The glass tubes, at a higher resolution (although the photo is not that good), look more like small parallel dunes, like we can see on other places on Mars and even on Earth.
(HiRISE photo ESP_013137_2190)

As for that strange "T" shape, it's so big that Google Mars is enough to show the whole feature.

Knowing that this is on the south-east slope of the biggest Martian volcano, the logical explanation is that they are collapsed lava tubes, something someone that knows a little about these things probably thought when seeing them for the first time (that's the problem of having scientists from the one field commenting on things from a completely different field).

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
It is a fact that at one time in the far distant past...Mars had oceans as well as rivers and lakes. Anywhere there is liquid water gives a high probability for the existance of life. Also...with this great amount of water...you are going to have rain and a much denser atmospher than Mars currently has.

Any place that has all these things may very well have had vegitation and thus a Nitrogen/Oxygen atmosphere. But remember....we are talking about at least a BILLION YEARS AGO OR MORE....after that much passage of time....fossil records would be almost non-existant.

Any possibility of actually finding fossils of anything larger than microbial ones...would require a long term manned mission....which we are not ready for. Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Mars seems to have been another Earth, it currently has atmosphere that if more dense, we could live outside domes but most of it has escaped.

The UFO you have seen may have been 'ours' because the Nazi saucers and that could be later brought to the US (as German scientists later worked in the US) is no doubt a whole new understanding of UFOs - that pretty much everything could be 'ours' and nothing suggests to be alien. They even drew symbols on them, so yes.
_____

Ah have to revise the geography of Mars anyway, Im sure whoever saw oasis with Palm Trees didn't see right, there are none there, at least from what the pictures show,. There have been some saying that there are trees on Mars, lol not.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

My reply is directed at your statement of underground areas that are of lagre enough volume to hold any atmosphere.
Any underground area, if connected to the surface, will hold any atmosphere, at least the same as on the surface, but, if deep enough, slightly denser.

A different and denser atmosphere will keep closer to the planet's centre of gravity, so any underground area with denser atmosphere and protected from the outside radiation, will keep it's atmosphere, with the possibility of some of the surface atmosphere mixing with its own.

Any deeper than this...lets say...10 meters down...in an underground cavern...even with ice...the temperature would be cold in the extreme. A Billion years of geologic inactivity would mean that this cavern would become colder and colder over time. Too Cold.
The funny thing is that I see it from the opposite point of view: any planet that gets enough solar radiation will not cool below the temperature the Sun provides.

I base my idea on the fact that any object with enough mass will have some "thermal inertia", and while its temperature tries to get lower and lower, the energy it takes from the Sun will try to keep it at a fixed temperature, related to the amount of radiation it gets and materials from which it is made.

I think that's the reason why we see changes in the poles according to the seasons, because if the planet was a giant ice block, as soon as the night falls it would start losing all the heat accumulated during the day.

But I don't have any scientific bases to back my idea.

Do you have any data showing that my idea is wrong and the one you presented is right?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
The so called faces on Mars don't really interest me as they could be as you say products of bad photos and good imaginations , but the glassy tubes , tree like structures and standing stone structures have always stood out as anomalous to me .
The "glass tubes" are probably just dunes, as seen in other places, even on Earth, and the tree like structures have no third dimension, they are flat features, as we can see on all new, higher resolution photos.

ya, just "probably" just dunes. right!

when are you guys gonna admit there is some wierd stuff on mars?

forget it.

you won't.

tow the friggin line.

no one sees anything out of the ordinary. nice.

i believe! NOT!!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Satellite picture of possible trees on Mars .

Satellite picture of trees on Earth .

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Pieces from destroyed objects that have collided with the planet in the past. The dark rocks show they have fallen on the planet and were not from the planet originally. I dont see trees.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

" different and denser atmosphere will keep closer to the planet's centre of gravity, so any underground area with denser atmosphere and protected from the outside radiation, will keep it's atmosphere, with the possibility of some of the surface atmosphere mixing with its own. "

Hi ArMap,

I would go further and suggest that there is 'still' a molten core that would make things confortably warm deep inside. Whether the molten core is diminishing or static is probably subject of a debate somewhere, it's an interesting subject though.
edit on 6-10-2011 by smurfy because: Add quote.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
stop being in such a fantasy theirs nothing on mars
AND THEIR NEVER WILL BE

case closed

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join