It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghosts scientifically possible?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
reply to post by CrimsonMoon

I do like a scientific approach to most topics but I feel that science cannot answer ALL questions.

Science CAN answer ALL question as everything in the entire universe is scientific...if you know what I mean, for example, everything in the universe is made of atoms.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by KronoScience CAN answer ALL question as everything in the entire universe is scientific...if you know what I mean, for example, everything in the universe is made of atoms.

The Incompleteness Theorem states that it cannot answer ALL questions, sorry. Unless you admit to the Universe not being logically consistent.

Also, your claim that everything in the Universe is made of atoms is demonstrably incorrect. Neutrons are not atoms and we have such thing as Neutron Stars made solely of them (although I understand your point). Energy is also not made of atoms. The problem is, we do not know everything that our Universe contains, so any claims of 'everything is made of' is probably going to be incorrect, anyway.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
reply to post by jamsession

Thanks for posting.

Yes I believe in time science will answer all questions, but not yet.
But then again, by that time we will have another set of questions for science to answer and the cycle never end's which is the beuty of science it self, IMO.

It will never at a point in time answer all of the existing questions that are relevant. Perhaps there will be a time where the questions we all have right now are answered, however.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Ghosts scientifically possible?

Why not?

Of course, we must then accept that our science is not the be-all and end-all of knowledge. We're still a very ignorant species and just because we don't or won't understand how something can exist, doesn't mean that it can't.

To assume otherwise is completely and inarguably arrogant and... dang it all, just plain stupid, lol.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Therefore, a phenomenon cannot be confirmed as paranormal using the scientific method because, if it could be, it would no longer fit the definition.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here's the problem.
If the paranormal can be explained scientifically, then it's not para-normal anymore as the word 'para' implies that it's not normal.

Brian David Josephson

Brian David Josephson, FRS[1] (born 4 January 1940; Cardiff, Wales[2]) is a Welsh physicist. He became a Nobel Prize laureate in 1973[3] for the prediction of the eponymous Josephson effect.[2] As of late 2007, he was a retired professor at the University of Cambridge, where he is the head of the Mind–Matter Unification Project in the Theory of Condensed Matter (TCM) research group. He is also a fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge.[4]

This is what he wrote in a booklet to honour the 100th aniversary of the Nobel Peace Prize;

"Physicists attempt to reduce the complexity of nature to a single unifying theory, of which the most successful and universal, the quantum theory, has been associated with several Nobel prizes, for example those to Dirac and Heisenberg. Max Planck's original attempts a hundred years ago to explain the precise amount of energy radiated by hot bodies began a process of capturing in mathematical form a mysterious, elusive world containing 'spooky interactions at a distance', real enough however to lead to inventions such as the laser and transistor. Quantum theory is now being fruitfully combined with theories of information and computation. These developments may lead to an explanation of processes still not understood within conventional science such as telepathy, an area where Britain is at the forefront of research."

Of course that did not sit well with his fellow colleague's, but Josephson had this to say;

"There is a lot of evidence to support the existence of telepathy, for example, but papers on the subject are being rejected - quite unfairly"

"parapsychology should now have become a conventional field of research, and yet parapsychology's claims are still not generally accepted".

According to Josephson there IS evidence that support's paranoral research, the problem is that most scientist's let their emotions get in the way.

Anyway some food for thought.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Well It's hard to answer that since we don't really know what Ghost are. Are you talking about the common thought that there spirts? Because I've heard stories of them being interdimensional or that the could be loops in time. You know something from the bast bleeding through a hole in time and space into the future.We know for a fact you can travel to the future by going close to the speed of light as time is relative. Time litterally slows down around you at the speed and you age slower . So you basically stand still and everything around gets older.

Quantum mechanics are awesome.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

Are you talking about the common thought that there spirts?

Yes I am.
The whole paranormal topic but 'ghosts' or 'spirits' mainly.

I've heard stories of them being interdimensional or that the could be loops in time.

This could be true I have not looked at time loops enough to comment properly.
I think they are interdimensional.

Thank's for commenting.

Im looking at documentary about parapsychology right now called 'Something Unknown'.

www.imdb.com...

You can view it here;

stagevu.com...

It's from '09, but it looks good.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Given EM emissions recorded emanating from various parts of the human body can be
scientifically connected to emotional & mental states.

Given that we are (scientifically) electrochemical beings capable of photonic emissions...

Has science not already proven it, but that very few took note?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Leahn

Good point, however that doesn't disprove that EVERYTHING is science. Even the made up existance of "god" is scientific.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krono
reply to post by Leahn

Good point, however that doesn't disprove that EVERYTHING is science. Even the made up existance of "god" is scientific.

Some problems with your argument:

1) The idea that the existence of God is "made up" begs the question. If you believe that the existence of God was made up by humans, you're welcome to present the evidence for it. Please, spare me of the argument from ignorance. We all know it is a fallacy. Either you have evidence for your claim or you don't and you're begging it.

2) I'd like to know what definition of "scientific" you're using. Hard to claim that something that goes as far back as Neolithic period (worship of deities) was created by 'science' when science didn't exist back then. Unless you're begging it again.

3) Universal claims (everything is science) carry a heavy burden of proof, since they are rarely true. I am not under the burden of disproving such assertion. You're the one that has to prove it. I am sorry, but I refuse to acknowledge this as true until you can demonstrate it to be true.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Leahn

I tend to feel universal claims have an idealized merit.

I've long since felt science & spirituality are (should be?) practiced with the same mindset.

Of course in the modern context this means something very different where science is conceptually divorced from spirit.

But then again its a matter of perspective and perhaps not every scientist's view on this matter is as identical in the lab as it is presented in the lecture hall.

In any case I do not counter any of your claims, but merely wish to add to them.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by naghammadi

I've long since felt science & spirituality are (should be?) practiced with the same mindset.

I agree with you totally.

We would get further into the truth that way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join