It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Anyone Help Me With Government Harassment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
A few years ago I had the audacity to question the department of labor (DOL) for showing up at my business doorway without cause multiple times in a three year period. My wife and I built a hospice related agency 12 years ago and are very proud to be associated with the many great and wonderful staff members, patients, and families we have come to know.

The DOL has begun a clear and undeniable course of abuse, bullying, and harassment. Although we have met every standard each and every time, they have refused to issue a final determination which in effect renders this an "ongoing investigation" with absolutely no real reason why they are there in the first place.With no documentation to dispute, they simply put our case aside for a while, and then show back up completely unannounced a few months later and try to make us start the entire costly process all over again. All we know is that they seem intent on claiming our field nurses do not meet the definition of contract staff, even though this is clearly outlined from the first meeting with them and they sign contracts to work with our patients explicitly explaining the contractor rights and expectations. We then lose the right to require them to accept patients, we cannot enforce even the most basic needs of a patient, and in fact encourage them to take work with competitors to validate their own contract status, which they all do. In fact, when we began the business we got our policies and procedures from the DOL themselves!!

The problem is that this time I suspect they are preparing to levy a crushing fine for not bending to their will. Working for the government as we do already guarantees we are treading thin ice financially and are marginal in hopes of fiscal survival anyway. If the DOL insists on their vendetta, they will push many good people out of a job and the result is that those in our industry who really do operate outside moral and ethical boundaries will be the only ones left treating dying patients. In other words, if I was willing to lie, cheat, and steal I would be fine, but since we are honest we are being penalized. I cannot turn my back on our unbelievably devoted staff, their families, or my own so I must find a way.

Does anyone know where my rights are for harassment? Does anyone have advice on how to preserve what my wife and I believe to be our "calling"? I would love to invite the media to the next meeting with the DOL, but I don't know how to make it truly attractive enough to them in order to actually expect them to show up. We have had so much profit loss due to health care reform in the last few years there is no money for an attorney. We had begun to believe we were seeing the light at the end of the financial tunnel but then the DOL showed back up again.

I am running out of time rapidly, perhaps tomorrow, maybe as late as next week, but they are coming. Any help and good advice is more than appreciated.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

hmm im not to sure how stuff works over there
but try speaking to a local politican or lawyer..
in most cases they can get in trouble for letting things go on like this cause it costs them money too

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Mate

I feel for your situation and I do see this type of government insanity on a regular basis.

If you have no cash for a lawyer and if your time is that short about the only thing I can suggest is contact the local / state press and your local politicians. Seeing businesses go under and employees made redundant as a result of government regulation won't be too popular.

Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

If you do go the route of politicians and the media, make sure you state facts, with emotion. You will be taken to better if you do not accuse, but state facts. The facts in your case will speak for themselves. I've seen too many good stories not get taken seriously because the way it was presented.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
You are in desperate straights.
You have my sympathy and, i encourage you to stand firm.
There is the ACLU have you called them?
How about Jesse Ventura?Or others...?
Is there no local news station or news paper that will give you a fair hearing or any support?
Have you gone over the local incestigators head with complaints of this harraament?
perhaps they are trying to make brownie points and overstepping their mandate.
It wouldnt be the first time that happened.
I am sure that there is somebody in the law profession thatll give pro bono advice .....
where have you looked for help?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Not sure about your area, but generally a call to the Governers office can be a great help. One of my late Aunts used to do this, and you would be surprised at the difference it made. They would be doing the yes ma'am no ma'am deal and quickly get out of her hair never to be heard from again.

The words Congressional Investigation used to work as well...
edit on 10/5/2011 by visualmiscreant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

My heart goes out to you.
Theres not many 'good' nursing homes these days, we can't afford to lose the few that are left. Its shocking to think that the only way you can get peace, is to corrupt yourselves to their level.
I really don't have any practical advice for you sorry. I hope someone familiar with legislation & protocol will come on to offer you advice.
Sending you , your staff & residents best wishes & hope for a positive outcome for you all.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Many good hearted and concerned responses. Thank you very much, and we will do all we can. There was a time when this business made a fair living for those involved, and then we had a better ability to fight for what is right. We have always considered it more of a privilege than work caring for patients in their last hours on earth (hospice). I incorrectly believed the government would respect this type of community service, and it has been a tremendous disappointment to find out otherwise. When my wife and I see people like these here at ATS (the best site in the world) who are trying to help, it gives us hope again.

With limited time and finances, it is difficult to get it all done. At worst, we will go down swinging trying to protect our staff, families, and patients. If anyone has the means to help us garner media attention, we would welcome that or any other advice with the greatest respect and appreciation.

Thank you all so very, very much. Please continue with good advice.

new topics

top topics

join