It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism Explained

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip
As soon as someone labels themselves atheist they become a follower of someone else's beliefs and, not coincidentally, someone incapable of seeking their own truths.

Not true - for Atheist.

Atheist simply means lack of belief in a deity. Beyond that - any belief - if one chooses to have a believe - is individual.

Yes - - you can choose to follow the teachings of a known Atheist - - - but I sure don't. What teachings? It is a non-belief.

Separation of Church and State - - - would be the only reason I would join with other Atheists.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer99

Atheism is the arrogant belief that a speck of a human on a speck called Earth... has conclusive evidence about the contents of all of that and beyond...

That’s not atheism. That’s not even science. Nobody is claiming conclusive evidence for anything.

and/or is simply "smart enough" to prove or "know" the negative: that a God or gods do not exist.

A reasonably intelligent person will, regardless of belief, be aware that one cannot prove a negative proposition of any kind.

Atheism is also the spreading and evangelizing of that, yes, religious belief.

Most atheists couldn’t care less what other people believe so long as they don’t make a big song and dance about it.

One unifying trait of the religion of Atheism (is) simply an inflated, unjustified belief in one's own intellectual superiority...

It’s certainly good to meet an ATS creationist who can produce a literate paragraph. They are so few.

The evangelizing Atheist is relentlessly driven forward by 3 goals:

1.) Desire to feel a sense of belonging to the group...

Among one’s first experiences as an atheist is a compelling sense of separation from the group.

2.) Desire to reaffirm and replenish one's own beliefs by inflicting them on others (this one is also shared by theistic religions)

Have you been doorstepped by any atheists lately? Had atheist tracts shoved through your car window? Been buttonholed in the street by an atheist asking you if you’ve been unsaved? Had a polite visit from your local atheist minister encouraging you to come to atheist church on Sunday? Had people spamming your mailbox with chapter and verse from Hitchens and Dawkins? Are friends posting ‘On this day, Nobody wants you to know...’ on your Facebook page?

No? What, then, are these inflictions of which you complain? The fact that atheists argue with you on the internet? Or that they have the temerity to produce articles and videos that express their views?

3.) Desire to take away and extinguish any light of faith in others...

AKA ‘wanting them to see reason.’ Yes, most atheists are sometimes guilty of this, and a few are obsessed by it. It’s an uphill task, I fear.

While I have met quite a few ignorant, bone.ed Christians I can't stand, I have yet to meet a self-proclaimed Atheist whose entire state of being wasn't one of negativity, arrogance and anger toward others.

The question: where can I find some non-self-proclaimed atheists?

edit on 5/10/11 by Astyanax because: the reason for the edit proclaims itself.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You can't be an atheist without first believing there is nothing to believe in. People seem not able to grasp this concept.

"Everything is Dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but DIFFERENT IN DEGREE; extremes meet; all turths are but half-truths; all paradoxes can be reconcilied." - Kybalion

Meaning you atheist idea that there is nothing to believe in is essentially a belief. If you truly believed there was nothing to believe then why not off yourself right now? What is the point of you living? There would be none without belief or faith in a ideal. If you are atheist you should say not that you don't believe in anything, instead you do not agree with the given definition of the idea presented. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalThought

"Everything is Dual;

Or not
religion is an obsolete explanation for the universe which can be dismissed as no longer useful

in the same way that at one time you might have believed in Santa Claus but when you got more evidence about how your gifts got under your Christmas tree, you abandoned the Santa Claus hypothesis

the belief behind Santa isn't a Dual true/false situation - its just an incorrect solution for what's going on when you get Christmas gifts

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

As soon as someone labels themselves atheist they becoa follower of someone else's beliefs and, not coincidentally, someone incapable of seeking their own truths.

Not true - for Atheist.

Atheist simply means lack of belief in a deity. Beyond that - any belief - if one chooses to have a believe - is individual.

Not true. An atheist is in a believing relationship. An atheist believes there is no diety just as a theist believes there is a diety. An agnostic does not believe either way and is not in a believing relationship with regards to the existence of a diety.

Any beginning philosophy 101 textbook will tell you that.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by Annee

As soon as someone labels themselves atheist they becoa follower of someone else's beliefs and, not coincidentally, someone incapable of seeking their own truths.

Not true - for Atheist.

Not true. An atheist is in a believing relationship. An atheist believes there is no diety just as a theist believes there is a diety.

Lack of belief is not a belief.

You'd first have to believe something to then reject it as a belief it doesn't exist.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thoughts?

Yeah, I think email chain-letters you picked up from your workplace's mailing list aren't exactly stimulating topics for ATS. What next, lolcats?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I don't believe that the charactor introduced to us in the Judeo/Christian bible is God. Does that make me an atheist? I don't believe that a being from another dimension or planet, who may be more advanced than me, or wiser or purer than me is God. Does that make me an atheist?

I don't believe in an omnipotant being that knows everything and is watching to see what I will do, so that it may judge me for eternity and send me to heaven or hell. Does that make me an atheist?

I can't find myself excepting any of the defintions below to fit with the model of the universe.

Definition of GOD
1capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind

2: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality

I guess that makes me an atheist, although I don't consider myself one, I can't go along with these defintions. I have seen no evidence of a supreme being that abides with us in one of the ways mentioned above.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

"Everything is Dual;

Or not
religion is an obsolete explanation for the universe which can be dismissed as no longer useful

in the same way that at one time you might have believed in Santa Claus but when you got more evidence about how your gifts got under your Christmas tree, you abandoned the Santa Claus hypothesis

the belief behind Santa isn't a Dual true/false situation - its just an incorrect solution for what's going on when you get Christmas gifts

Yo I agree. Religion is obsolete.

Yea so the idea we give children is that santa rides in sleigh and slides down the chimney to give gifts on christmas. This is false.

But, the idea, the story remain intact and Santa's existence remains the same within these parameters. This is the duality. This is the degree to which Santa exists.

On one side of the coin we understand that Santa Claus is not a real person nor a real story and people who will not participate in the story.
But, on the other side of the coin we have an understanding it is not true but we have people who dress up as santa claus and elves and sit in the mall. We have parents who carry out the elaborate story (including leaving out cookies and milk, television shows, movies, storybooks, soda companies and a Grand Holiday)

Because you cut down my earlier post to the bare minimum you might have missed this part: "all truths are but half truths." If I wanted one to only refer to "everything is dual" I would have only posted that. You also miss the part of the paradox. It is a paradox that we fulfill the idea of Santa Claus and Christmas every year on the same day even though we know it not to be true. In fact I believe that also can be defined as insanity.

Anyway hope this cleared up the confusion, I do understand some cannot think outside the box at times. I too find it difficult to think abstractly, but thats philosophy for ya. Peace

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Thoughts?

Yeah, I think email chain-letters you picked up from your workplace's mailing list aren't exactly stimulating topics for ATS. What next, lolcats?

Umm, I don't "work." I thought it was an interesting little soliquism, simplistic though it may be. Thanks for those folks who have contributed. To you? Not so much. For the record, I am not a theist at all. I just think atheists are a stupid as theists. Rock on. All of ATS is a massive chain letter anyway.
edit on 10/5/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
People get so worked up over these things... here is my take on it (while trying not to offend others) It's obvious if you look at the world and universe that it is created by intelligent design and not just random happenings , you just can't PROVE it.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
It’s certainly good to meet an ATS creationist who can produce a literate paragraph. They are so few.

Ad-hominem, arrogant sarcasm, impugning someone's intelligence and trying to "win" the argument -- by focusing on a simple typo. Check!

Among one’s first experiences as an atheist is a compelling sense of separation from the group.

Right. Which is why so many religious threads on here contain a cavalcade of arrogant "me too!" snippets from atheists, each trying to outdo the previous poster's dripping sarcasm, all while collectively destroying the ideas and character of said person of faith. How noble you are. How great your religion truly is.

Have you been doorstepped by any atheists lately?

I've had a certain atheist I know personally, out of the blue and with no apparent provocation, simply begin ranting about the "foolishness" of the bible.

Beyond that, I see many, MANY unprovoked rants and rude comments by atheists on youtube videos and internet forums, often on topics which have nothing to do with religion or faith. They provide the atheist a convenient opportunity to "quip" for no reason at the expense of religion and faith. If you don't see this, you are utterly blind.

3.) Desire to take away and extinguish any light of faith in others...

AKA ‘wanting them to see reason.’ Yes, most atheists are sometimes guilty of this, and a few are obsessed by it. It’s an uphill task, I fear.

A noble "uphill task" with the laudable goal of convincing someone that there is no point to life, that there is no heaven, no eternal justice or reward for good deeds, no punishment for evil, that they will never see their loved ones again, that all morals are meaningless and arbitrary, and that the only thing to live for is whatever we decide.

As smart as you believe you are, you are still incapable of seeing the reality of the human condition enough to see why that idea, applied to the masses, FAILS UTTERLY.

By the way, do you also go around "helping" children to not believe in Santa Claus, and mocking them for it? If not, why not?

The question: where can I find some non-self-proclaimed atheists?

The self-proclaimed atheist is the atheist who evangelizes and makes known their beliefs openly. Through the act of spreading their poisonous ideology (I say that very literally, from a human sociological perspective and not a religious one) they prove that they are either too ignorant to see, or too hateful to care that "being correct" isn't the end-all and be-all of actual enlightenment, and that in reality (where I live... unfortunately) not all humans can or should believe exactly what THEY believe, regardless of whether it is ultimately true or false. And lastly, the inability to accept the basic truth that at the end of the day, it is the fruits of a belief and the resulting actions (in totality, rather than hand-picked incidents) that matter.

The inability to see this very (to me, at least) basic and obvious fact about human nature calls into question the entire validity of your belief system, since it is supposedly based on your own "superior" ability to see the truths that us poor sods of faith cannot.

Also, if you are so inclined, please provide the thread with the moral and ethical REPLACEMENT to faith-based religion, and more specifically modern western Christianity, by which a society of humans with no belief in eternal consequences or morals can exist in peace. Please give specifics about family structure and social behavior, and outline how this atheist world of humans will function properly as a society. Furthermore, to credit yourself and your noble belief, please give examples of where this has occurred with positive result, of course being sure to acknowledge or discount any lingering effect of previous faith in that society. Thanks!

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FaceLikeTheSun

I am a follower of Christ, and I would say that this is a fair description of an atheist. My sister was once a believer and now she is not. I guess you can say we had a battle of discussions of our beliefs and she believed in no god and also followed the science of evolution. Pretty twisted if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

An atheist is in a believing relationship. An atheist believes there is no diety just as a theist believes there is a diety.

I have no quarrel with this. I cheerfully admit I believe there is no God, at least not as conventionally imagined.

However, there are different kinds of belief.

Consider the belief that spilling salt brings bad luck, and that the bad luck can be averted by tossing some over your left shoulder.

Now consider the belief that spilling salt is harmless, apart from the mess and waste it creates.

Do you regard these beliefs as similar in kind? And if not, what is the difference between them?

reply to post by Observer99

Ad-hominem, arrogant sarcasm, impugning someone's intelligence and trying to "win" the argument -- by focusing on a simple typo. Check!

On the contrary, I did not notice a single typo in your post. My edit simply altered a verb so that the quoted clause made sense on its own without needing to quote the rest of the sentence from which it was extracted. The compliment might have been left-handed, but it was genuinely offered.

I've had a certain atheist I know personally, out of the blue and with no apparent provocation, simply begin ranting about the "foolishness" of the bible.

One person. On your personal, unsupported testimony. All right.

Beyond that, I see many, MANY unprovoked rants and rude comments by atheists on youtube videos and internet forums, often on topics which have nothing to do with religion or faith. They provide the atheist a convenient opportunity to "quip" for no reason at the expense of religion and faith. If you don't see this, you are utterly blind.

Prove it. Post some links. I challenge you.

Your request for a non-theological ethical system has been adequately supplied since at least the time of Epicurus. Perhaps you should take up a little reading in philosophy. Religion is not the source of morality; on the contrary, it is a parasite on the human moral sense, which is instinctive. Religion perverts the moral instinct towards ends which are morally neutral (e.g., insisting that it is a sin to pay obeisance to any deity but the one prescribed) or actively immoral (e.g. sanctioning violence against women).

edit on 6/10/11 by Astyanax because: of parasites.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalThought

"all truths are but half truths."

Well, that’s a lie for a start.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Saying you think theists are as stupid as atheists is honestly a lot like saying you think one and zero have equal value.

So I guess your intent here is simply trying to convince yourself that you're very clever and anyone who doesn't agree must be stupid? Don't dislocate your shoulder with those pats you're giving your own back.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If consciousness, not matter is the gournd of all being and becoming, then it's a whole new ballgame and one for which the atheists don't have a bat or ball.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
If consciousness, not matter is the gournd of all being and becoming, then it's a whole new ballgame and one for which the atheists don't have a bat or ball.

And energy?

I believe everything is energy - - including consciousness. Still in the science realm.

Not every Atheist is a "hard" Atheist.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Atheism is the FAITH in nothing. How sad when you can't even have enough faith to believe in yourself.

Couldn't be more wrong. Atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods. Doesn't mean you can't believe in magic, faries, ghosts, other dimensions, dragons....

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

If you believe it's intelligent energy, and self aware, and that life has a meaning and purpose ordained by it's will or intent, then you believe in God.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join