learn more

Russia, China veto UN resolution on Syria crackdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Source

Russia and China on Tuesday vetoed a UN Security Council resolution, drawn up by European nations, threatening action if Syria's leader does not end a deadly crackdown on a pro-democracy movement.

It is the first Russian-China veto since the pair blocked UN sanctions against Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe in July 2008.

So the security council signal intentions to take action if Assad doesn't end the deadly crackdown? Sounds like a military threat to me.

In other news Assad threatens to attack Tel Aviv in case of NATO strike .

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
You might want to read this too.
That + the decline in the stock-market today = possible breakdown on the way...

www.eutimes.net...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
step two nato. step three, the next republican president. we will free the syrian people. not so much the n.korean people because they can actually fight back.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
No surprises here. All sides have already been picked.

The middle east is like a fireworks factory right now. One spark and...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Looks like the US was not too happy about the veto outcome. Rice asserts this wasn't about military action though I wonder if the resolution was loose enough to involve it:

US 'outraged' after Russia, China veto Syria UN resolution

Rice says "the courageous people of Syria can now clearly see who on this Council supports their yearning for liberty"; UK's Hague says he's "disappointed," resolution was "entirely reasonable."

At the UN Security Council Tuesday, Russia and China vetoed a resolution tabled by the United Kingdom, Portugal, France and Germany that would have condemned Syria for its crackdown on protesters.

US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice said the US is “outraged” that the Security Council “utterly failed to address an urgent moral challenge and a growing threat to regional peace and security.”

In damning, pointed language, Rice said that “the courageous people of Syria can now clearly see who on this Council supports their yearning for liberty and universal human rights-and who does not.”

The resolution received nine votes in favor and four abstentions from Brazil, India, Lebanon and South Africa. Russia and China cast the only votes against the resolution, which was drafted by France with the cooperation of Britain, Germany and Portugal.

“And during this season of change, the people of the Middle East can now see clearly which nations have chosen to ignore their calls for democracy and instead prop up desperate, cruel dictators,” Rice said.

“Those who oppose this resolution and give cover to a brutal regime will have to answer to the Syrian people-and, indeed, to people across the region who are pursuing the same universal aspirations.”

Rice bitterly noted that the Security Council “has not yet passed even a hortatory resolution to counter the Assad regime's brutal oppression.”

“Let there be no doubt: this is not about military intervention,” Rice said. “This is not about Libya. That is a cheap ruse by those who would rather sell arms to the Syrian regime than stand with the Syrian people.”

Rice said that the “crisis in Syria will stay before the Security Council, and we will not rest until this Council rises to meet its responsibilities.”

UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said he was “disappointed” by Russia and China’s decision to veto the resolution.

“This will be seen in the region as a decision to side with a brutal regime rather than with the people of Syria, and will be a bitter blow to all those Syrians who have implored the international community to take a stand.”

Calling the resolution as drafted “entirely reasonable,” Hague said that it stressed the rejection of violence and that a political transition ought to be led by the Syrians.

The draft resolution, Hague made clear, was explicit that Security Council consideration of sanctions against Syria should not include military action.

“Those who blocked it,” Hague said of the resolution, “will have this action on their conscience.”

The world is being divided on developing issues in the Middle East. Future armaggeddon in its infancy.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

US is a nutjob war mongering nation its always outraged

“Let there be no doubt: this is not about military intervention,” Rice said. “This is not about Libya. That is a cheap ruse by those who would rather sell arms to the Syrian regime than stand with the Syrian people.”

edit on 4-10-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I know they said they won't use military intervention. But sorry, they are wrong. We can't risk giving the Syrian people weapons incase of Al qaeda, the Haqqani network and the teletubbies (taliban) taking the weapons for themselves and using them against NATO. We can't just keep sanctioning them cause its already making things worse and you can CLEARLY see its not working.

No, if we use military intervention and take the criminal regime out, then problem solved. Yes people may argue that people will die, well wake up, people ARE dieing NOW. We HAVE to use military intervention or send in someone from the SAS/SBS or even the Navy Seals to take him out.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I know they said they won't use military intervention. But sorry, they are wrong. We can't risk giving the Syrian people weapons incase of Al qaeda, the Haqqani network and the teletubbies (taliban) taking the weapons for themselves and using them against NATO. We can't just keep sanctioning them cause its already making things worse and you can CLEARLY see its not working.

No, if we use military intervention and take the criminal regime out, then problem solved. Yes people may argue that people will die, well wake up, people ARE dieing NOW. We HAVE to use military intervention or send in someone from the SAS/SBS or even the Navy Seals to take him out.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

How can the US talk of democracy yet last week stated they would veto the UN vote on Palestine??

Isn't a fair vote democracy??

Hypocrites much.?????

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Krono

where do you get the propaganda stories from ? MSM corporate propaganda media?

not credible

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by USAisdevil

What propagande stories? I don't have a clue what you're on about. They said in the UN meeting that they WONT use military intervention (yes I know politicians lie), but all im saying is, there should be military interention.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krono

What propagande stories? I don't have a clue what you're on about. They said in the UN meeting that they WONT use military intervention (yes I know politicians lie), but all im saying is, there should be military interention.

Sure, let's leave another country in ruins to save the population.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Ok, lets just sit back and let the genocide continue.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Krono

How many have died and how many would die if the US started the usual humanitarian attack??

Look at the Iraq and Afghanistan examples...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Krono

How many have died and how many would die if the US started the usual humanitarian attack??

Look at the Iraq and Afghanistan examples...

The invasion of Iraq was uneccessary, all NATO had to do was assassinate him (but we all know why we went in there), Afghan, is different to Syria, Afghan was "supposed" to be about the teletubbies (taliban) and Al Qaeda.

Syria, is just a government, who is scared. The Syrian regime KNOW the people of Syria want them out, so how do the regime try to solve it? By committing genocide. Instead of trying to improve the country they decide to kill their own civilians. A military intervention doesn't have to be another Iraq. Use air strikes, send in a special forces team (preferebly Black Ops) and take the bastard out. DONE.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
why cant we all just get along

i dont know about ye but things are heating up world wide right now, including natural disasters to add to it. a lot of financial,political,economical,enviromental pressure is building up in this pressure cooker called earth lol

what will the outcome be?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Just like the Palestine people, I guess some people are more equal than others. eh?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Krono

propaganda from your corporate media.

get your facts straight.Check what muslim brotherhood is doing ,trying to create islamic emirates all across the middle east. As for genocide ,its the USA which is waging it. I hope Russia stands up and puts an end to genocidal fascist usa.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Krono

syrian people? nah its the muslim brotherhood.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sirric

Just like the Palestine people, I guess some people are more equal than others. eh?

I believe something needs to be done about Palestine aswell! I didn't mention Palestine cause this thread was about Syria.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join