It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bus drivers want to keep the NYPD off their vehicles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is awesome. The police have been commandeering busses to move the massive amount of arrested protesters. And they are saying no.

Transport Workers Union Local 100 brought the matter to the New York State Supreme Court on Monday, where they asked for an injunction to keep the NYPD from forcing city bus drivers into giving protesters lifts to the big house. During Saturday’s mass arrest on the Brooklyn Bridge, bus drivers in New York City say that police officers commandeered their vehicles and insisted they move the 700 detainees to jail to be processed.

I hope more people start refusing service to people involved in squelching free speech.

Source
edit on 4-10-2011 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
People need to stand up and say NO. How many civil rights violations will people take before they snap, history has constantly repeated it self, it almost seems like they want to push people into protesting and revolting, either that or they forgot the lessons of history.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Cuervo, awesome avatar!

I believe it's only legal to commandeer a vehicle in an emergency. Can arresting 700 peaceful protesters be considered an emergency? I think this would have to be argued in court for a definitive answer, but my instinct tells me no, that it is not a true emergency.

I think this is a situation that should see a court room, although I have wavering faith in our courts to promote true justice.

Some great information concerning the legality of the police's right to commandeer a vehicle or to command assistance from civilians:

www.straightdope.com...
edit on 5-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A no, thats all we need

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
the future of policing is many varied jobs they are not doing now its called diversification and skills analysis learning

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Either the NYPD get the use of the public busses or im sure they will be buying 20 brand new ones next week via another donation from wall street......

Ill put money on it now! that this will happen!
edit on 5-10-2011 by michaelmcclen because: elaborated

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Holy #... I was born 20 years ago and by God this country is changing drastically everyday...

We are alive in amazing times people...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
Either the NYPD get the use of the public busses or im sure they will be buying 20 brand new ones next week via another donation from wall street......

Ill put money on it now!

Where can I send a donation?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Cuervo, awesome avatar!

I believe it's only legal to commandeer a vehicle in an emergency. Can arresting 700 peaceful protesters be considered an emergency? I think this would have to be argued in court for a definitive answer, but my instinct tells me no, that it is not a true emergency.

I think this is a situation that should see a court room, although I have wavering faith in our courts to promote true justice.

Some great information concerning the legality of the police's right to commandeer a vehicle or to command assistance from civilians:

www.straightdope.com...
edit on 5-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

Thanks!

As far as it being "emergency" status, I can't see how they could justify it as that either. The only people creating a dangerous emergency-esque situation were the cops.

top topics

join