It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not direct democracy?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
well, your asking a seriously corrupt institution to give up it's power willingly

but I'll play along

I don't want the average person voting directly on anything, especially a budget, based on the typical conversation I have with them

and

the average person, in the end, is as courruptable os a politician, so we would just delaying the inevitable

what we need is a miracle where corprate money is seperated from the political process

I'm not holding my breath

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
i THINK you offer some good ideas.

However, in my own ponderings of such subjects . . .

and considering that a Marxist imposter Kenyan Pathological Narcissist, pathological liar has been installed in the White House . . .

I'm NOT REAL IMPRESSED with the discernment of even very educated people.

Add in the capacity for individuals and interest groups to vote themselves largess from the public trough . . . the old addage that democracy thusly destroys itself always . . . seems unarguably true.

i don't see how your proposals would prevent either of the above hazards.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It was not so long ago someone else asked a very similar question.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some very valid points were raised.

I can't speak for the USA but I know urgent and radical electoral and parliamentary reform is required in the UK.
Personally I would abolish the party political system, introduce the power of recall, devolve some power to the regions and introduce some sort of Federal system, have rolling parliaments and the increased use of referendums on both local and national issues within a direct democracy like framework.

Or alternatively we could keep the same old same old and thus ensure we maintain the status quo along with all it's inherent failings, injustices and inequalities.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Some very good points & interesting reading, Thanks

I'm researching Direct Democracy whilst designing & writing a White Paper on a DD Framework that I'm hoping to present to www.jedem.org... for peer review,

This will be my third itteration of design. I actually had a trial forum running on the Web for technical tests, the latest version is called the tDDE (transitional Decision Discovery Engine) & could be described as a Meritocratic, Technocratic Direct Democracy Forum with feedback loops to accumulate (Karma) points enabling member & proposal ascention through multi layered rooms within single disciplines (Transport, Education......Local Region)

What some people have to remember is that they have a preconceived idea of what a DD Forum would look like, but utilizing simplicity, transparency, technology, etc. the end product may work completely differently!!.

The balls are up in the air when it comes down to designing a DD Forum Framework, there are many innovative ways to design something that minimizes the impact of issues like uninformed opinion, mob rule, collusion for personal gain etc.

Designed well, we could knock the spots off any previous forms of Governance!
edit on 22/11/11 by UKMinarchist because: Crap grammar

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by UKMinarchist

That sounds great! Be sure to post it here when its finished.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I think high priest has an important point: The US needs to prohibit any entity other than indiduals from being able to influence our political process.

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

what we need is a miracle where corprate money is seperated from the political process

That would be a good start on ending the status quo.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by taderhold
I think high priest has an important point: The US needs to prohibit any entity other than indiduals from being able to influence our political process.

That would be a good start on ending the status quo.

Or even a 50% Lobby Tax which is spent entirely on Direct Democracy Initiatives employing Proffesional Lobbyists to represent the views of the DD Forum.

It's only fair

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join