It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court legalizes downloading music

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
"Piracy" online is NOT stealing. Stealing implies I have taken the original for myself; and left everyone else with nothing.

However, when you download anything from the internet you are getting a mere copy for your own personal use, leaving the original to be copied time and time again for whomever so needs it.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by mnmcandiez

If people aren't trying to make money off my work then what are they stealing exactly?

Your income.

Sorry if this doesn't agree with the popular bandwagon - but I reckon creative people deserve to be recompensed for their labour as much as anyone else.

It's not uncommon for websites to request a donation for downloads / information. Should artists be reduced to this?

Yes. Artists should have to adapt like everyone else, not try to change laws using the people who will buy your soul and recycle you after they've made some money selling YOUR WORK!

Oh I bet you're an independent with a huge online following.

You know, I have friends that play music... when I asked them why they don't try to make money off it, they tel me they're artists and they shouldn't be paid to do something they love doing and would do for free anyway. Of course, if they wanted to make money off some work they wouldn't go crying about pirated downloads I'm sure they would be excited, free promotion for a concert

edit on 24-11-2012 by christoph because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RainbeauBleu
For those who feel that downloading of music (to listen to on your mp3 player) is stealing....
Do you think the libraries are complicit in allowing people to steal by not buying the books they read?

Read the entire thread and this just jumped out at me for some reason.

Sure you can get a book, movie, or music on loan from the library, but if you don't return it they can charge you for it. Basically forcing you to buy said book, movie, or music etc.

So would a type of netflixish lending system for digital music be a bad idea? Say you "rent" a song or cd for a time period, and if you choose to keep it you pay full price for it, otherwise it sort of self destructs, or erases itself. Been mulling over this concept for a minute...thoughts?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
offs, get over it...Let them have their mistief.
Let prices rice and see if they get MORE
music out to the public.
We had copying rights with vinyl to casette
before. Internet its just another medium.
They CANT and will NEVER be able to stop copying.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This is about corporate greed not the artists. The corporate media set up a distribution channels which favored them and created a monopoly for distribution. They believe that their business model would last forever but it will not. They will be cut out by advances in technology which allow for distribution without them.

This is about greed... society has become about greed not doing social good ..... from the banksters who rake in millions to school teachers our society has changed into a greed based society not a society moving mankind forward ......

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Originally posted by RainbeauBleu
For those who feel that downloading of music (to listen to on your mp3 player) is stealing....
Do you think the libraries are complicit in allowing people to steal by not buying the books they read?

Read the entire thread and this just jumped out at me for some reason.

Sure you can get a book, movie, or music on loan from the library, but if you don't return it they can charge you for it. Basically forcing you to buy said book, movie, or music etc.

So would a type of netflixish lending system for digital music be a bad idea? Say you "rent" a song or cd for a time period, and if you choose to keep it you pay full price for it, otherwise it sort of self destructs, or erases itself. Been mulling over this concept for a minute...thoughts?

Do you realize that today when a library buys a digitized book for their collection that the book has a limited number of reads before the library has to re-buy the same book?

SO, the library never owns the book but rents copies .... that is criminal if you ask me ..... but businesses will find a way to crew the public at every turn expecting the government to pick up the bill.....

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join