It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PROOF!! The Department of Education is screwing Americans right now!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Here goes... My GF has been trying to get a letter from the Department of Education clearing her for financial aid for school. Back in 2001 her wages were garnished for a prior student loan and previous debts were PAID IN FULL. Now the Dept of Ed is reporting that she still owes $65.00; that's fine we will pay it. Here's where it gets really interesting.... Their systems have been down for OVER A MONTH. We keeps trying to pay them and they say they can't take the payment! My GF is furious and we shot a video of the Dept of Ed jerking her around today.... Here it is!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
youtube video doesn't work...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DJDigitalGem

Here's your link

Maryann is trying to get enrolled in school. The Department of Education says she owes them $65.00; well some people say she does and some say she doesn't!. Maryann has been calling since early Sept to either pay the $65.00 and get a letter or just get a letter, clearing her for financial aid through her new school. Her NSLDS report shows the $65.00 and it needs to be updated!

I wouldn't say this is the proof most would expect coming into this thread.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Thanks for fixing my link! How is this not proof??? They can't, or won't, take a payment and the end result is my GF can't go back to school! I'm positive she is not the only person that is experiencing problems with them. To qualify for financial aid they have a report called an NSLDS report. That has to be up to date and can't show you owe any money before you can be granted Pell or any other financial aid. My GF qualifies for the full amount of the Pell grant and she can't use it!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJDigitalGem
Thanks for fixing my link! How is this not proof??? They can't, or won't, take a payment and the end result is my GF can't go back to school! I'm positive she is not the only person that is experiencing problems with them. To qualify for financial aid they have a report called an NSLDS report. That has to be up to date and can't show you owe any money before you can be granted Pell or any other financial aid. My GF qualifies for the full amount of the Pell grant and she can't use it!

If you are talking about the website, there was an announcment in August that the site would be migrating and undergoing changes starting in September. Does she have her pin for the old account. She could just pay it using that.
In terms of being charged money that she didn't owe, or paying money that she wasn't credited for, honestly that was probably an outside collection agency that made the mistake. I know that doesn't help her and that it is still frustrating, but if they gave out new loans to people who hadn't paid the old one, people would be all up in arms about that!

Sorry that it seems that the two of you have gotten stuck in the middle. It doesn't seem deliberate but I know that doesn't make the frustration go away.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Honestly, I have been to their website but I never saw anything regarding their systems being down. If I had, I may have not been so harsh. Where did you see that info?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Yeah I have a loan and I can't get a pin for it and nowhere did I see they were going to be down. But, now I know why they never respond for my numerous attempts to get a pin. I want to see how much I owe Credit Karma says it is 2,099 but that may be true or may not I have no way Of finding out through the fed loan website apparently any idea when they will get things working properly again?
And I must say thanks for posting this because I thought I was doing something wrong all this time. :/

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJDigitalGem
Honestly, I have been to their website but I never saw anything regarding their systems being down. If I had, I may have not been so harsh. Where did you see that info?

I logged into the site to make my monthly payment in August. There was a notice there that there was going to be a new site. I had been considering just having it auto drafted for awhile so I decided to just do it rather than have to worry about a new site. Based on your information I am glad I made that choice! www.dl.ed.gov indicates that the changes should be complete by next Monday. Then there will be a new site. The new address will be www.myedaccount.com
There is also something about it having to be a .com instead of a .gov to comply with all the new lender regulations?

Good Luck!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Every time we call they just say to keep calling back. The guy on the phone today said they basically have no clue when they will be back up. If they were a BUSINESS, they would be OUT OF BUSINESS very quickly operating like this!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

Our problem has nothing to do with their website; it has to do with the system they use to report FA information. I'm glad they will have an updated website but that has nothing to do with the NSLDS FA reporting system. Can you just imagine what would happen if the major credit reporting agencies just said "Oh, sorry our systems are down." and no one could get their credit scores or reports updated?

new topics

top topics

join