It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of California prisoners on hunger strike

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

I still say we have public punishment, right on the courthouse lawns.

Hangings, whippings, public humiliation, whatever.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

I still say we have public punishment, right on the courthouse lawns.

Hangings, whippings, public humiliation, whatever.

Right. I have no problem with this. Theres plenty of violence on TV and the internet so its not like we're not exposed to it.

I'm all for human rights but a criminal act infringes on the human rights of others. If you break the important laws (murder, rape, kidnapping, grand theft, arson) then you've given up your human rights because you never respected the human rights of others. Certain prisoners who've commited certain crimes are not entitled to human rights. They gave up those rights when they commited the crime. Sorry criminals but thats the effing deal.

Some criminals are barely human to begin with. They should have executed Charlie Bronson years ago. When people are not interested in rejoining legitimate society, and repeat their crimes time after time, then they should just be executed or at the very least publicly humiliated where we can throw rotten vegetables at them.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Maybe if our country wasn't involved in endless wars that are being used to cull the poor and enrich the REAL criminals, there would be more money to spread around in the poor communities to help the disadvantaged.

Maybe if our government shut down most of the hundreds of military bases we have around the world, there would be money for life affirming and supporting programs, instead of death.

Maybe if our government wasn't hand - in - hand with the criminal banking crowd/corporate pirate crowd/warmongering evil internationalist crowd, everyone could have a basic standard of living that would enable people to stay off the criminal path.

Too bad the biggest criminals are allowed to get away with their crimes. Talk about mass murderers.

I couldn't agree more with you and dispute nothing you said in the above post.

As for the jails, how bad can conditions be when all these inmates are in quite good physical shape? They obviously get enough protien and thats more than many americans can say right now. They will survive and thats what matters. They are not lacking anything to survive.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Some of Charles Bronson's movies may have been a little bad, but execution?

I think you mean Charles Manson......

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

It's not necessarily the food problem, although that's bad enough, for several reasons.

At one point in time, prisoners in the California Corcoran State prison were being set up to fight each other while guards bet on the outcome. Sometimes the prisoners would be shot by the guards.

Sixty Minutes' Mike Wallace did an investigation that exposed these practices, and then a followup a few years later to see if the situation had inproved.

The second second time, Mike Wallace found that the guards had figured out another way to punish prisoners who had angered them. They would just put them in with another prisoner who would rape them.......

Think about it. Do you think this type of behavior from guards has stopped? What we know of this situation is just the tip of the iceberg. Do you think the large majority of the prisoners that are mistreated are going to complain or report it so they can face more and even worse retaliation?

Usually this type of situation only comes to light when the pile of bodies becomes so big that people with consciences do something to stop it.

Gladiator Fights at Corcoran Prison

Additional information about prisoner abuse from CBS/60 Minutes

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

You would think that since they know how bad the system is they would do all they can to stay out of it. Yet they continue to rape, murder, mug, steal etc... Then they want to whine because they are treated as less than human? Really? They should have thought of that before doing the crime.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

In reply I will repost this poster bang on response.

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by sezsue

You would think that since they know how bad the system is they would do all they can to stay out of it. Yet they continue to rape, murder, mug, steal etc... Then they want to whine because they are treated as less than human? Really? They should have thought of that before doing the crime.

Jail should be terrifying for violent criminals. I'm not talking petty theft or possesion of pot or fraud etc,etc, i'm talking violent crime. What else will deter people from commiting violent crime? Really, name something because I can't think of anything else that would deter me and the current system really doesn't seem to be detering anyone. I live in Canada and the laws in this country are soo weak there is almost no reason not to commit a crime other than personal principlas and honor. My just elected NDP government just said a week ago its "too expensive to put criminals in jail". Can you believe that?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I agree. There really should be two types of incarceration. One for violent offenders and recidivists. It should be a nightmare of darwinism run rampant. They treat normal people as prey, in this system they would all be prey for someone bigger and badder. The other should be for non-violent and should try to rehabilitate the offenders.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

I agree. There really should be two types of incarceration. One for violent offenders and recidivists. It should be a nightmare of darwinism run rampant. They treat normal people as prey, in this system they would all be prey for someone bigger and badder. The other should be for non-violent and should try to rehabilitate the offenders.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't think the guards should be able to abuse and torment the inmates but when the guards give a order, it better damn well be listened to or in the hole you go. Attack another inmate or guard, in the whole you go and you just added 5 more years time.

There really should be hard labour 12 hours a day for violent criminals, not time to stand around and form gangs and plan attacks on others.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I have two uncles who are currently prison guards and one who is retired.

You usually get into solitary for being a dumba** and breaking prison rules. They have two choices, they can follow the rules and possibly get out early for good behavior, or they can break the rules and end up in solitary for being a dumba**.

These aren't resorts, they are prisons. And quite frankly, it isn't hard to not end up in one. Don't murder, commit grand theft auto, don't rob banks, don't rape, don't pull a Madoff etc.

Not hard to stay out of prison, people.....
edit on 5-10-2011 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I understand your views and that of DarthMuerte, and I understand why a lot of people feel as you do, and I did agree with some of what you said.

I do believe that prisoners should have to work, or receive schooling. I don't believe in prisoners laying about in a country club setting. Prison should be punishment but also an opportunity to get that person turned around and started down the right track.

But I believe in God, and the Bible says that no man knows another man's heart, in other words, their motivation for the things they do. The Bible also lets it be known that we will be judged with the same mercy by which we judge others.

We should all be thankful that God is much more merciful toward men, than men are toward each other.

Thanks for the conversation guys. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on some things.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Why don't we just release them then. After all, they are humans and humans do not deserve to be caged, right.

I am sick of all this humanitarian crap. If the inmates choose to not eat then no big deal. They are adults that can make their own decisions, just like the one they made to end up in jail to begin with.

Would anyone care if I was pissed about something and quit eating? Nope, do not think so.

edit on 4-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

Spoken out of shear ignorance.
I could teach you why what you said is incorrect but you would have to be willing to listen with
an open mind. Let me know of you are interested.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

But I believe in God, and the Bible says that no man knows another man's heart, in other words, their motivation for the things they do.

I think that once a serial killer has hit his third or more bodies; or a pedophile has hurt his second or more children; or a thief has been sent back for his third or more burglaries; that we know all we need to know. They are career criminals. They are too dangerous to be allowed to mix with normal people again. Since we won't do real capital punishment, punitive incarceration is the best we got. It could be that we have misjudged them, maybe we should just send them home to God and let them discuss it with him?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Cnn Hunger strike article main image

I'd be demanding they get rid of the giant OMG spiders, That is cruel and unusual punishment fro someone like me with arachnophobia!!!
edit on 10/5/11 by Pixiefyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I do believe that prisoners should have to work, or receive schooling. I don't believe in prisoners laying about in a country club setting. Prison should be punishment but also an opportunity to get that person turned around and started down the right track.

I agree and would give even the most violent criminal 1 chance to become a better person and use the time to educate and reform. Failure to do so should mean hard, and I mean hard, time.

edit on 5-10-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

I agree and would give even the most violent criminal 1 chance to become a better person and use the time to educate and reform. Failure to do so should mean hard, and I mean hard, time.

edit on 5-10-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)
Sure, anybody can make a mistake. One time then drop the hammer hard. Depending on the crime of course.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

This I can definitely agree with you on.

Definitely. (had to get that second line in
)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

OMG!!! is right!

Shudders....

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Someone mentioned that people shouldn't get locked up in prison for car theft. I guess that someone is pretty affluent.

If some thug stole my car, then either my wife or I would have to miss work since we have commutes in opposite directions. And when the insurance pays, they only give you the "blue book value" of your car, and not what it costs to replace a running vehicle. So unless our credit is fine, we cant get a car loan on a new car right now.

Someone stealing one of our cars would be a major threat to my family's well-being. The person who would steal my car should be locked away. To hell with them.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I would care Skewed.
I would care.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join