It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of California prisoners on hunger strike

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
Prison systems today in their current form are a teddy bear of a joke. Inmates have the right to eat candy, drink soda water, and watch TV. All day long, they don't even have to work anymore. What a joke. If they want to get laid there are guards that pay for sex. If they want drugs, guards will bring them in. Instead of spending money keeping inmates happy, the system needs to pay for better a caliber of guards.

Now doesn't that sound awfully a lot like an environment that traumatizes a child for life.

Like I said... "Correctional" institution huh?

Your disgusting. You treat all these people the same and could care less how they got there or even if they did anything at all, it takes a certain caliber of person to become a prison guard. It's not enough they have to sleep on a #ing cot in the cold with a little pillow for years on end, with a bunch of other men who never see a woman, you have to use it to build your puny little ego too, don't you?

#, I'm done, what the hell is wrong with you people.
edit on 4-10-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

So knowing what hard financial times the USA is currently facing let me ask you if you would prefer more tax payer dollars going to hard crimals so they can be treated better or to starving and homeless families who are in their current position because greedy bankers and their elected lapdogs have made USA jobs dry up?

I have no compassion for criminals, none. My first priority is the to law abbinding people. The criminals can starve themselves to death just as you said some of us would say and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep.

When will you compassion people learn that not everything can be perfect and hard decisions must be made in hard times. There is only soo much money and it should go to those who contribute too and not take away from society. You are soo earger to make sure people who would rob you blind or stab you in the back given the chance are treated like puppys that you do damage and cause harm to those who really need help by diverting needed money to hardcore criminals and jails.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I think it's funny how every time DNA evidence technology is advanced, tons of prisoners get let out of prison because their conviction was based on faulty evidence. These are INNOCENT people that are constantly getting locked up along-side the real criminals, yet we act like every person in prison deserves to be there. Treat them like humans while keeping prison a bad place as a deterrent and punishment, but don't torture them endlessly. Not everyone in prison committed crimes.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Do you really think the prisoners in solitary are "light criminals"? They were put into solitary becuase they are either violent or refuse to follow the rules. Those who behave in jail do not end up in solitary.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

Once again, that is a completely different issue. Getting innocent people out of jail, even better keeping them out is a totally different issue than how we punish the guilty.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
reply to post by Varemia

Do you really think the prisoners in solitary are "light criminals"? They were put into solitary becuase they are either violent or refuse to follow the rules. Those who behave in jail do not end up in solitary.

From what I was understanding, the prison in question was using solitary as a method of torture and interrogation, not punishment for breaking rules.

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by Varemia

Once again, that is a completely different issue. Getting innocent people out of jail, even better keeping them out is a totally different issue than how we punish the guilty.

Again, not everyone being punished is guilty. You can't just blanket-guilt the whole place just because you feel like it. Just because a jury thought they were guilty doesn't mean all of them were, and it makes no sense to treat everyone like a murderer when there may be reason to believe that many are not.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
From what I was understanding, the prison in question was using solitary as a method of torture and interrogation, not punishment for breaking rules.

Have you ever watched a episode of Locked Up on National Geographic? Many times the leaders of the gangs are put into solitary becuase they are the ones who give orders for beatings or murders inside and outside of jail. They use solitary to disrupte the gangs and too break down the leaders. The only other reasons I have ever heard of people being put into solitary is for violence or causing disruptions.

One episode I watched featured the leader of the Arian gang petitioning the warden to be released from solitary. He said he has had enough of the gangs and violence and just wants to be a part of his new grandaughters life and cannot do so while in solitary. He was placed there for giving orders to assault other gang members. The assistant warden said no way, you have done and said the same things in the past and every time you have broke your word to us and continue in the gangs. The warden had a softer heart and released him from solitary.

The show ended with caption saying the leader was placed back into solitary 12 days after being let out for passing messages through the Arian gang that caused an assault on a latino gang member.

This is real life and happend in a California jail.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
im just going to go ahead and say it. i dont really fear the guy just getting out of prison with face tattoo's and a few scars.

i fear the police, at least i can try to fight an ex convict

the police not so much.

only if i wishing to die

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by InshaAllah
OMG this is just wrong. Have you ever been in a cell much less prison. this is why i think every american should go to jail for at least 1 day and night and see if your coddled. maybe we should just take them out back and put a bullet in their heads, then we would be rid of scum and you can go on living your cozy life without fear. whats wrong with having some compassion for your fellow man?
Uh huh. We are talking about guys who murder, rape, burglarize, mug, and perform all kinds of other types of mayhem upon their fellow humans. You get that, right?

Obviously you (and others commenting) have never read anything about the California prison scandals.

Just because these people are the worst of the worst, so-called, it doesn't mean that once they are imprisoned it's ok for the establishment to perpetrate the same (or worse) crimes against them, because "they deserve it". We call other countries out for their human rights offenses against prisoners, and we are no better, and in some cases, are worse than those we speak out against.

There are plenty of people that are falsely accused and imprisoned. But even if a person is a true criminal, what type of message is being sent by treating him in an inhumane way.

My brother was in prison and I hate to think that he was mistreated by officials of the system that considers itself worthy to teach others a lesson.

Also, years ago I was in a drugstore that was robbed at gunpoint. There were four men that made everyone (me and three others) in the store lay face down on the floor while they robbed the store of drugs and money.

No one was hurt and our personal belongings were untouched as well, but it was a scary experience and I was glad they all received long prison sentences. However, they did not deserve to be abused by officials along with losing their freedom. And by abused I mean any type of behavior prohibited by law, including moral law. That would include not feeding the prisoners decent and adequate food. Not too long ago there was a case of a law enforcement official in some southern state who pocketed money meant to feed the prisoners, by seriously cutting back on the rations they were supposed to be receiving. This, and other more reprehensible actions are commonly carried out against the prisoners.

No matter how much you might feel like they deserve it, this kind of stuff is not right. A just punishment according to the crime is justified, but I did not want and would not condone revenge or mistreatment against the men because of what they did.

Our officials can't be above the law. They have to set an example and exhibit better behavior than what some people are punished for. If we turn a blind eye to how our prisoners are treated, how could we complain when an emboldened government targets us for the same type of treatment. After all, the officials and lawmakers pass the laws that determine what is considered to be criminal behavior.

Any one of us could be exposed to this same type of treatment some day.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Maybe if our country wasn't involved in endless wars that are being used to cull the poor and enrich the REAL criminals, there would be more money to spread around in the poor communities to help the disadvantaged.

Maybe if our government shut down most of the hundreds of military bases we have around the world, there would be money for life affirming and supporting programs, instead of death.

Maybe if our government wasn't hand - in - hand with the criminal banking crowd/corporate pirate crowd/warmongering evil internationalist crowd, everyone could have a basic standard of living that would enable people to stay off the criminal path.

Too bad the biggest criminals are allowed to get away with their crimes. Talk about mass murderers.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I like convicts but none of these guys are on a hunger strike. It's just talk and they're still eating. They've been stockpiling food for months. Very tough to verify a hunger strike.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Whatever our feelings are about the prisoners,
one thing for sure is they have been on a hunger
strike for 10 days now. Some must be getting
weak and may become sick soon. Just thinking
this after going back to the OP's original posting.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue But even if a person is a true criminal, what type of message is being sent by treating him in an inhumane way.
How about this message: Act like an animal, get treated like one. Act like a human, get treated like one.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

You trust the government to sort those people out?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Yea prison should be harsh so lets keep them in solitary 23 hours a day and when they are released with mental problems from this over the top treatment and cant fit back into society lets blame them again!!!

Prison (for non lifers) should be punishment yes but rehabilitation too. People are saying prisons are too nice etc in the US, I assure you if you went there you would not want to go back and neither do the inmates in there now. Not given prisoners enough nutrition, warmth, exercise and social interaction WILL make them less healthy physically and mentally therefore more likely to re-offend when they get out.

People stop being ignorent, if you treat man like an animal then man will become an animal.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by DarthMuerte

You trust the government to sort those people out?
Unless they want to let me do it, who else are we going to have do it?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

If you go to the link and read the list of demands, they don't seem too far fetched.

I bet the demands of their victims weren't far fetched either -

"Hey man, don't steal my car..."
"Put the gun down, mister..."
"That's all the money I have, don't hurt me any more..."
"Please don't rape me again..."
"I'm bleeding out here, fellah. Let me have my mobile back so I can call an ambulance..."
"Do want you want to me but just let the children go..."

- and I'm pretty sure all those basic demands were ignored. Pitying the wrongdoers should cease and desist.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Ok I don't condone the solitary confinement but I can't help but say... they probably should have thought about this before commiting a crime.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Good, now give the food our convicted criminals aren't eating to the hard working people who contribute to society. So why is murder and rape a free meal ticket?

Why do we let prisoners, the rapists, murderers and liars, get free food, free shelter, free gym membership, free cable TV? I gotta pay for my gym, my food, my shelter and the worst part is I have to work some #e job to do it. But I guess if I murder someone I get that all for free.

Why do prisoners, freaking prisoners, deserve any human rights? Did they give any human rights to their victims? Maybe thats why you dont go to prison. Because it sucks. If we treated prisoners like they were actually prisoners then maybe we wouldnt have people going back for three, four times.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
aside from the fact that the whole system is screwed up an I'm sure being locked up to your own thoughts for too long is not conducive to helping motivate anyone to be a better level headed person

I'm SOOO tired of people making demands they have no right getting, unless THEY pay for it some how themselves

I SAY

send them to some prison some where else see how much sympathy they get there
THEN give the food to the homeless

also I'd say you need your strength....for defensive blocks in the shower

edit on 5-10-2011 by all answers exist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join