It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of California prisoners on hunger strike

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Thousands of California prisoners on hunger strike

edition.cnn.com

Thousands of California state prisoners, angry about what they call harsh treatment, have been on a hunger strike that enters its ninth day Tuesday.

There could be as many as 12,000 inmates skipping meals in at least eight California prisons, a prison advocacy group said. Many inmates are angry about a practice of keeping them in solitary confinement for too long, the group said.

"We are hoping that this widespread participation will push (prison officials) to negotiate and honor the basic dem
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I know a lot of people will probably make jokes and say something like, 'Good, costs us less to feed the scumbags.' but remember these are human beings. Being locked in solitary confinement for a long period of time has got to be horrifying, and if some of the reports are true I would call it definite abuse.

Prison officials are threatening to punish inmates who are not eating by... locking them in solitary. If there are that many on hunger strike, I doubt that plan is going to pan out.

If you go to the link and read the list of demands, they don't seem too far fetched. While I understand the need to place some of the population in solitary, doing it all the time and forcing people to admit guilt before being let out seems to be a violation of rights to me.

Thoughts?

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-10-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Why don't we just release them then. After all, they are humans and humans do not deserve to be caged, right.

I am sick of all this humanitarian crap. If the inmates choose to not eat then no big deal. They are adults that can make their own decisions, just like the one they made to end up in jail to begin with.

Would anyone care if I was pissed about something and quit eating? Nope, do not think so.

edit on 4-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I honestly have trouble caring about this. So they are criminals starving themselves because they get punished for doing stupid stuff. Some people are just too stupid to live imo.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

The prisoners have made five demands which include a change in the prison policy that makes inmates go through an interrogation process where they have to incriminate themselves and identify other inmates who are involved in breaking rules in order to get out of solitary confinement. They are demanding an end to group lockdowns and want more privileges for those in solitary confinement, such as winter clothes and nutritious meals.

I think that forcing inmates to self incriminate and not providing nutritious food and warm clothes is wrong personally. Sure they made mistakes, and are now paying for them but they deserve to be given the basics.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The basics are covered. Food, water and shelter.

It is them that are declining one of the basics, it is offered to them. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water..

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Skewed

The prisoners have made five demands which include a change in the prison policy that makes inmates go through an interrogation process where they have to incriminate themselves and identify other inmates who are involved in breaking rules in order to get out of solitary confinement. They are demanding an end to group lockdowns and want more privileges for those in solitary confinement, such as winter clothes and nutritious meals.

I think that forcing inmates to self incriminate and not providing nutritious food and warm clothes is wrong personally. Sure they made mistakes, and are now paying for them but they deserve to be given the basics.
Stop committing crimes. Then they can get warm clothes and good food on their own. Good god man, all I can say is that prisoners are already coddled. Tell them to sit down, shut up and stop doing stupid stuff.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Would anyone care if I was pissed about something and quit eating? Nope, do not think so.

edit on 4-10-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I am more apt to complain about the food that is served in our schools than the prisons. The prison food is still probably better than the slop public schools serve. I think I will worry about the school food problem before I worry about prison inmates not eating.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Just how much money should be wasted on their demands. Just because someone wants warmer clothes or better meals doesn't make it so. Prisons have to be run as economical as possible while keeping the bad locked away from the good. It's tax money after all. I think they are coddled to much anyways with workout rooms, TV, internet and so forth. What's wrong with prison being a place you would rather not return to.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by Domo1

I am more apt to complain about the food that is served in our schools than the prisons. The prison food is still probably better than the slop public schools serve. I think I will worry about the school food problem before I worry about prison inmates not eating.
Let's not even compare their living conditions to those of our Naval sailors on board ship. If they can sleep 180 guys to a compartment, and 6,000+ on a ship, then prisoners are way over pampered imo.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
WOW this world constantly amazes me. people are so cruel. and yet they get their shorts in a bunch when someone throws a kitty in the trash but 12,000 inmates across america are protesting in their own right and its screw you guys.

im just amazed at how humanity lost its humanity for one another. just pray you dont end up in the system one day.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by Domo1

Let's not even compare their living conditions to those of our Naval sailors on board ship. If they can sleep 180 guys to a compartment, and 6,000+ on a ship, then prisoners are way over pampered imo.

Been there done that.

CVN-73

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I know a lot of people will probably make jokes and say something like, 'Good, costs us less to feed the scumbags.' but remember these are human beings.

Yea many wont care Domo1 they look at them ALL as scumbags and totally forget the REAL 1z who know how to move thru the system with $$$$$$$ making them unknown scumbags who run things. The deep lock down is harsh and they should FORCE inmates to get educations ect so they can help when released instead of setting them up to return once they are released into a society that has moved past them. I heard about this yesterday on the radio.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
reply to post by Domo1

Just how much money should be wasted on their demands. Just because someone wants warmer clothes or better meals doesn't make it so. Prisons have to be run as economical as possible while keeping the bad locked away from the good. It's tax money after all. I think they are coddled to much anyways with workout rooms, TV, internet and so forth. What's wrong with prison being a place you would rather not return to.

OMG this is just wrong. Have you ever been in a cell much less prison. this is why i think every american should go to jail for at least 1 day and night and see if your coddled. maybe we should just take them out back and put a bullet in their heads, then we would be rid of scum and you can go on living your cozy life without fear. whats wrong with having some compassion for your fellow man?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by InshaAllah

I've been incarcerated before, so I feel qualified to comment.

Prison is home to some of the worst scum you can imagine. As far as I'm concerned most of them don't even qualify as "people" anymore. Trust me, most get far more than they deserve as far as rights are concerned.

I'd be all for prisons being even more restrictive. Make inmates do military style drills and manual labor. Not for the benefit of corporations by forced slave labor, but community service for the state that they have wronged. Some people seem to forget that these are prisoners who have done some very serious crimes. Not everyone arrested is a victim of wrongful imprisonment.
edit on 4-10-2011 by BlesUTP because: spelling

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by InshaAllah
OMG this is just wrong. Have you ever been in a cell much less prison. this is why i think every american should go to jail for at least 1 day and night and see if your coddled. maybe we should just take them out back and put a bullet in their heads, then we would be rid of scum and you can go on living your cozy life without fear. whats wrong with having some compassion for your fellow man?
Uh huh. We are talking about guys who murder, rape, burglarize, mug, and perform all kinds of other types of mayhem upon their fellow humans. You get that, right?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlesUTP
reply to post by InshaAllah

I've been incarcerated before, so I feel qualified to comment.

Prison is home to some of the worst scum you can imagine. As far as I'm concerned most of them don't even qualify as "people" anymore. Trust me, most get far more than they deserve as far as rights are concerned.

I'd be all for prisons being even more restrictive. Make inmates do military style drills and manual labor. Not for the benefit of corporatations by forced slave labor, but community service for the state that they have wronged. Some people seem to forget that these are prisoners who have done some very serious crimes. Not everyone arrested is a victim of wrongful imprisonment.

Human beings always qualify to be an human being. i understand once locked up many get worse in their attitude towards one another. if you took the majority of aggressive lions out of africa and throw them in a small cage and let them out for 30 min for some sun, theres gonna be problems. their are other solutions to BIG MONEY PRISONS but nobody cares until they are personally locked up or one of their loved ones.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Most of them shouldnt even be in jail. Only serial killers and repeat rapists and most of the elite should be. And for the very few hard core, prisons should be places of healing, beautiful places. Secure but uplifting and holistic healing centers. Period. Not vengeance, but mercy and healing.

Others should have house arrest, bracelets and counseling and some of the "crimes" are crimes that they are crimes to begin with, like narcotics.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Of course, as the economy worsens the prisons will as well.

Convicted of crimes or not, these are human beings. Not all of them were convicted of crimes worthy of solitary confinement either.

Overcrowding is also a huge problem. Quality of life in prisons will continue to plummet - but it is good to see some solidarity in the prisons at least.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join